Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1269196 times)

Space Freely

Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #3345 on: February 11, 2019, 09:30:18 pm »
Friday Night
We went for Pizza at Union Stage, which was hosting a sold out Bryce Vine show which attracted a demographic of young women different than that at the DBT show.
Then we got the BOGO tix at Box office, said hi to Hutch on the way in and went to the show.
I did not especially care for Erika Wenenstrom.
Was my first time seeing Lucinda. She was great, and her guitar-player was really outstanding. I think she went over her allotted time. Not sure. But played from 8:45 to 10:05ish.
Truckers went on around 10:30 and played until midnight. They were solid, but this was not a set with a lot of my favorites, and I was very tired and hot by around 11:30, making it difficult to stick it out to the end.

I actually saw this show quite differently.

I thought Erika was very good, she would have been fantastic if she had a full band.

I thought Lucinda was embarrassingly bad. Her voice, which has never been strong, is fucking shot. Her rambling stage banter is embarrassing (see the stage banter thread). Her reading all of her own songs off of sheet music is embarrassing. Only her crack band makes her live show listenable.

I too was so fucking tired by the time DBT took the stage there was no way I was truly going to enjoy it. I didn't really care for the setlist, if I have to hear that Goode Field Road one more time I'm going to punch a wall. They played a few tracks that made me smile. I though I was leaving early, but based on the setlist I saw online, it was actually the last song.

This was my first Anthem show and I can't say I'll be clamoring to come back....but probably will for Shakey Graves/Dr. Dog. Damn that have some crack security...they actually made me take off my winter hat and turn it inside out in addition to making me unzip every single zipper right down to the tiniest of pockets on my backpack.

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #3346 on: February 12, 2019, 07:59:33 am »
I was very tired and hot by around 11:30, making it difficult to stick it out to the end.

would it be fair to say that you were... challenged?

:D :D

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #3347 on: February 12, 2019, 08:14:40 am »
Friday Night
We went for Pizza at Union Stage, which was hosting a sold out Bryce Vine show which attracted a demographic of young women different than that at the DBT show.
Then we got the BOGO tix at Box office, said hi to Hutch on the way in and went to the show.
I did not especially care for Erika Wenenstrom.
Was my first time seeing Lucinda. She was great, and her guitar-player was really outstanding. I think she went over her allotted time. Not sure. But played from 8:45 to 10:05ish.
Truckers went on around 10:30 and played until midnight. They were solid, but this was not a set with a lot of my favorites, and I was very tired and hot by around 11:30, making it difficult to stick it out to the end.

I actually saw this show quite differently.

I thought Erika was very good, she would have been fantastic if she had a full band.

I thought Lucinda was embarrassingly bad. Her voice, which has never been strong, is fucking shot. Her rambling stage banter is embarrassing (see the stage banter thread). Her reading all of her own songs off of sheet music is embarrassing. Only her crack band makes her live show listenable.

I too was so fucking tired by the time DBT took the stage there was no way I was truly going to enjoy it. I didn't really care for the setlist, if I have to hear that Goode Field Road one more time I'm going to punch a wall. They played a few tracks that made me smile. I though I was leaving early, but based on the setlist I saw online, it was actually the last song.

This was my first Anthem show and I can't say I'll be clamoring to come back....but probably will for Shakey Graves/Dr. Dog. Damn that have some crack security...they actually made me take off my winter hat and turn it inside out in addition to making me unzip every single zipper right down to the tiniest of pockets on my backpack.

Having never seen LW, I thought that's just what one gets with her at this point, and I liked it, road weary voice, etc.  Will check out Erika with band online.

I think that there would have been more DBT, but there is a curfew? Hutch will know.

hutch

« Reply #3348 on: February 12, 2019, 08:29:21 am »
Well that is what one gets with Lucinda these days....it’s actually like her current albums...the cracked voice and drunken drawl...some hate it and some don’t mind....I don’t mind....some people have for sure expressed concern about her health

She suffers from serious stage fright so I think the lyrics are there because of that

It was the same at Ramshead Live a few years ago

Space Freely

« Reply #3349 on: February 12, 2019, 10:30:42 am »
Well that is what one gets with Lucinda these days....it’s actually like her current albums...the cracked voice and drunken drawl...some hate it and some don’t mind....I don’t mind....some people have for sure expressed concern about her health

She suffers from serious stage fright so I think the lyrics are there because of that

It was the same at Ramshead Live a few years ago

To clarify, I appreciate Lucinda's voice when I'm driving, or when I'm sitting on the sofa surfing the net. Or when I'm sitting at the Lincoln. It was just hard to take standing in a crowded oversized convert hall, after getting up before 6am, running five miles at lunch, having three beers after work, and walking to the venue.

It's also hard to listen to her when I try to play her at home or in the car and my wife repeatedly tells me what garbage Lucinda is and how could I like that and not Ariana Grande or Charlie Puth, who have so much better voices. I usually prefer to listen to Lucinda when I'm alone. :)

K8teebug

« Reply #3350 on: February 14, 2019, 09:15:18 am »
Does anyone know what the scoop was about the Cherry Glazerr show last night? It was somehow my first time at U Street Music Hall. I've been going to shows for almost 30 years, and this was the first time I literally could not hear the singer at all, no matter where I was standing in the venue. I'm guessing you literally had to be in the most very front and center.

Sound is not always amaze everywhere, but I can at least HEAR the band (which, frankly is what we all pay for.) Is this normal at U Street or was it the band's sound person's first day ever at a sound board?

There were some guys in front of me who were kicked out for yelling "turn up the mic" by the tour manager.

Bummed as I was looking forward to that show and had gotten it as a Christmas present for my husband.

bearman🐻

« Reply #3351 on: February 14, 2019, 02:56:26 pm »
Does anyone know what the scoop was about the Cherry Glazerr show last night? It was somehow my first time at U Street Music Hall. I've been going to shows for almost 30 years, and this was the first time I literally could not hear the singer at all, no matter where I was standing in the venue. I'm guessing you literally had to be in the most very front and center.

Sound is not always amaze everywhere, but I can at least HEAR the band (which, frankly is what we all pay for.) Is this normal at U Street or was it the band's sound person's first day ever at a sound board?

There were some guys in front of me who were kicked out for yelling "turn up the mic" by the tour manager.

Bummed as I was looking forward to that show and had gotten it as a Christmas present for my husband.

That's such a shame. I've seen them a few times, ALWAYS enjoyed them live. I couldn't make the show because I got stuck working, now I feel less bad.

K8teebug

« Reply #3352 on: February 14, 2019, 03:45:45 pm »
Can't win 'em all (but can usually hear 'em all :) )

Bagley

« Reply #3353 on: February 14, 2019, 04:29:43 pm »
So I heard our beloved boardie  C & C had pizza with Peter Buck before the Eyelids show Monday night. Then was treated to a rousing set with Buck sitting in with the band as they tore thru their catalogue plus some REM chestnuts....

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #3354 on: February 14, 2019, 04:31:19 pm »
So I heard our beloved boardie  C & C had pizza with Peter Buck before the Eyelids show Monday night. Then was treated to a rousing set with Buck sitting in with the band as they tore thru their catalogue plus some REM chestnuts....

Making things up again, Bagwan.

« Reply #3355 on: February 15, 2019, 09:15:01 am »

This is what happened to c&c after the show A man suspected of setting fire to the D.C. pizzeria at the center of the false "Pizzagate" conspiracy theory has been arrested after a caught-on-camera brawl with officers at the Washington Monument.
slack

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #3356 on: February 15, 2019, 02:40:16 pm »

This is what happened to c&c after the show A man suspected of setting fire to the D.C. pizzeria at the center of the false "Pizzagate" conspiracy theory has been arrested after a caught-on-camera brawl with officers at the Washington Monument.

FAKE NEWS and Bad Link is no way to go through life Hatch

s

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #3357 on: March 04, 2019, 11:26:27 am »
2 weekend shows:

Saturday. Bad Moves, Bad Bad Hat, Beths at Union Stage. I loved Bad Moves. I enjoyed Bad Bad Hats. I am tired and old, so we left mid Beths, and didn't really get a flavor. I do enjoy the pizza at US. Also, the fancy toast place: "Toastique" nearby was good for preshow quick dinner.

Sunday. Baccahe, War on Women at Windup.  Braved the freezing rain, and saw these bands with the forum crew of VD, Ahmad, and Kilsals.  I enjoyed Bacchae, I really loved WOW, hardcore, and hardcore feminist stuff, with a brilliant frontwoman. Actual rockstar vibe. No food.

« Reply #3358 on: March 04, 2019, 11:33:51 am »
Saturday. Bad Moves,
Also, the fancy toast place: "Toastique" nearby was good for preshow quick dinner.
guess you didn't get there early enough to catch the fireworks...had the whole clan of hachables down there for that ...didn't go to the show

I do love that toastique place, the avocado smash with a runny fried egg is now my favorite breakfast of all time. 
BTW...Pearl Street Dive has some good burgers/tater-tots that are wallet friendly
slack

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #3359 on: March 04, 2019, 11:39:06 am »
Saturday. Bad Moves,
Also, the fancy toast place: "Toastique" nearby was good for preshow quick dinner.
guess you didn't get there early enough to catch the fireworks...had the whole clan of hachables down there for that ...didn't go to the show

I do love that toastique place, the avocado smash with a runny fried egg is now my favorite breakfast of all time. 
BTW...Pearl Street Dive has some good burgers/tater-tots that are wallet friendly

Ah, the whole brood of hatchlings!? Sorry I missed that. Had no idea that there were fireworks. Got down there at around 6:30.