Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1268967 times)

Space Freely

Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #4725 on: November 14, 2022, 09:48:30 am »
Great to hear!

What makes it Latino rock?

Admittedly, I was talking through my ass and probably don't know what "Latino rock" is (any starting suggestions?), but I think the allmusic review of their most recent album kind of summarizes the show. Probably 30% of the setlist was from this album, and most of the rest of the setlist of older material was infused with the horn section and accordian sounds that defined this album.

https://www.allmusic.com/album/en-espa%C3%B1ol-mw0003394668

More than most of their peers in Nashville, the Mavericks have never been afraid to step off the beaten path and do something out of the ordinary, and that’s never been more true than on their 2020 release En Español. As the title suggests, all 12 songs on this album are sung entirely in Spanish, and given the group’s demonstrated fondness for Mexican and Latin styles, that’s not especially surprising. What is unexpected is that they’ve set their country and retro-rock influences on the sidelines for these sessions — En Español is a straight-up Latin album, and while the occasional twangy guitar figure or lounge-appropriate arrangement reminds us this is still the Mavericks, in the truest sense this is a nearly total departure from the music they’ve made in the past.

The eclectic spirit that’s always informed their music and the sublime vocals of Raul Malo mean this isn’t likely to alienate most of their fan base, and there’s a playful yet reverent tone in the performances that keeps things buoyant. That said, even more than on most of their albums, En Español is a showcase for the vocal stylings of Raul Malo, and on that score it’s superb. Immersing himself in a variety of Mexican and Cuban styles (Malo is of Cuban heritage), he’s at the top of his game here, sounding passionate and fully invested in the material while never sending his delivery over the top, and his phrasing and accents honor the music without dulling the impact of his personality. He makes these songs sound like they were written for him, such as the slinky tango-turned-mariachi number “Sombras Nada Más,” the lively “No Vale la Pena” (including a guest appearance from Flaco Jiménez), the coolly romantic “Sabor a Mí,” and the starkly atmospheric Cuban country song “La Sitiera,” and he also wrote or co-wrote five tracks that blend with the standards and traditional numbers like a charm.

They may have been country superstars in the ’90s, but the Mavericks have always been more concerned with following their muse rather than living up to anyone’s expectations. If this is a long way from What a Crying Shame or Music for All Occasions, it’s adventurous and crafted with heart and skill, and that’s what they’ve always done best.

Starsky

« Reply #4726 on: November 14, 2022, 09:59:42 am »
Cool maybe I will check it out. I used to have Music for all occasions on LP and enjoyed it.

Sounds like it is Latino rock.

It’s hard to really put my finger on what Latin rock is….does it need to have Latin rhythms, Spanish lyrics or both?

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?

Cock Van Der Palm

« Reply #4728 on: November 20, 2022, 02:13:57 pm »
Skegss at the Black Cat - good fun set.  Crowd and band had a lot of fun.  Drummer was sick and one of the opening band's (Flying Machine) drummer sat in.  Not a problem as the songs are pretty straight forward and not complicated. Love seeing bands at the Black Cat.

Billy Strings nite 1 at The Anthem.  - Another great Billy Strings show. 
The band seemlessly goes from blue-grass to blue-grassy jams.  They played about 2 hours 45 minutes not including 30 minute break so it was a long night especially in GA.  Although The Anthem is beautiful, I don't enjoy seeing shows there.  Too large for GA shows.  Plus the location of the bars around the floor is a pain to navigate around.  And make sure you are not watching the show by any paths to the bar or else you will constantly have people pushing past you.

Starsky

« Reply #4729 on: November 20, 2022, 02:39:24 pm »
Well the “good news” is next time you see Billy will probably be at Merriweather or an arena so you won’t have to worry about a GA show at Anthem.

Cock Van Der Palm

« Reply #4730 on: November 20, 2022, 02:50:56 pm »
Yeah his next leg is in arenas (at least 2 Nashville shows)

Well the “good news” is next time you see Billy will probably be at Merriweather or an arena so you won’t have to worry about a GA show at Anthem.

Space Freely

« Reply #4731 on: November 21, 2022, 09:36:55 am »
Sold out Charlie Crockett show at the Lincoln Friday night....

Openers were called Greyhounds. They were solid at what they do, I just don't like what they do. One bio said Hall and Oates meets ZZ Top. I might say Steely Dan meets the Black Keys.

Charley took the stage and played a 95 minute set. People seemed to be into it. I'll give it a solid B, not nearly as good as the Mavericks at the Lincoln five days prior. But entertaining. The dopey guy near me spilled his whole can of Murphy's Stout all of the carpeted floor. That's ok, he just went and bought two more drinks for himself.

My wife got a bit of a nap in between acts, then again when Charley was playing, as she refused to join the unwashed masses in standing at a seated theater show. She described the audience as "stringy hair and beards, looked like they were from Leesburg or Warrenton.: That was about right. But after a while, ole Charley did inspire her to stand. Kudos to him! I can also say (in refernce to that other thread) my wife is very against the concept of encores. It was nice to go on a date on a Friday night, in spite of my daughter texting my wife asking her wher the fuck she was because we were out later than I had estimated.

My funny story of the night: I took a bathroom break between acts...a homely drunk girl exited the women's room and accidentally slapped the light switch, leaving all of the women in the bathroom in the dark. The guy in front of me in line (long line for men's bathroom no line for women's bathroom, must be an alt-country show), pointed out the the woman that she had accidentally shut off the light and that she need to turn in back on....she didn't really comprehend at first but finally did...she walked back into the bathroom, but by that point someone else had flipped the light on. She walked back out and drunkenly flipped off the poor guy who was only trying to be helpful...

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #4732 on: November 21, 2022, 10:09:08 am »
But was the crowd worthy of an encore?

Space Freely

« Reply #4733 on: November 21, 2022, 10:16:57 am »
But was the crowd worthy of an encore?

When Hutch said "Encores should not be automatic," I thought it was the artist who is earning the encore, not the crowd. After all, they are the one being paid. In dollars and in adulation. The crowd, who is already paying for the show to happen shouldn't have to work for anything.

« Reply #4734 on: November 21, 2022, 10:39:51 am »
the encore is for the audience, not the act
slack

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #4735 on: November 21, 2022, 10:57:57 am »
Ended up doing the rare doubleheader on Saturday Night, with the Bartees Strange show ending at 9pm and Lee Fields scheduled for 10pm.  I have further thoughts beyond I enjoyed both their sets, which I may get around to posting. 

Space will most likely have a better story regarding the Lee Fields show than me, hopefully no hip injuries occurred at that one..
T.Rex

Space Freely

« Reply #4736 on: November 21, 2022, 11:35:17 am »
Ended up doing the rare doubleheader on Saturday Night, with the Bartees Strange show ending at 9pm and Lee Fields scheduled for 10pm.  I have further thoughts beyond I enjoyed both their sets, which I may get around to posting. 

Space will most likely have a better story regarding the Lee Fields show than me, hopefully no hip injuries occurred at that one..

Congrats on the double.

I wimped out and missed Lee Fields (hence not completing a two nights back to back outting), so look forward to hearing about anything I missed.

I did stay home and watch Pearl on DVD. Great movie. No hips were broken. Though my wife did fall asleep and my daughter didn't pay attention.

lily1

« Reply #4737 on: November 21, 2022, 01:01:27 pm »
I did the triple...

Thursday: Tab Benoit with Dirty Dozen Brass Band at State theatre. I haven't seen Tab since he played the Birchmere in November 2020 under Alexandria's 25% capacity limit. Always good and I love his salty curmudgeon commentary.  Props to Dirty Dozen who were formed 46 years ago. But man, I was one of what seemed like 5 people under the age of 40/50 but I hope to be an active gig goer 20 years from now so I shouldn't be a judgmental shit.

Friday: Manic Street Preachers and Suede at Fillmore. I was a facing a conflict as I wanted to see Charley Crockett as well but that sold out quickly and I figured he's rising quickly and will be on tour again in the next six months so the conflict resolved on its own. Ironically he was at the Fillmore last Fall so I hadn't been back since then. I still want to hate the Fillmore but it is a nice space and well run. Though their list of banned items is a bit odd. The man in front of me walked away after hearing the whistle on his key chain was contraband. If I carried a rape whistle as a lot of women still do I'd be pissed and really raise a stink. Both bands were great and a very grateful supportive crowd. Suede played like they were playing a venue 10X the size which made it even more fun.

Saturday: Lee Fields at Black Cat. Does he ever have a poor performance? Excellent consistency. I was up front by speakers and everyone around me was just fun, and nice to see a racially and sexual orientation diverse crowd.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #4738 on: November 21, 2022, 02:00:46 pm »
First time seeing Lee Fields and The Expressions and he does indeed put on a great show.  Of the three Sharon Jones, Charles Bradley, Lee is the one I've probably listened to the least but he's still one of the best soul singers out there.  Highly, impressed with his crack band, especially the sax and trumpet players.  Songs were primarily from his new one, but he brought the house down with "Faithful Man". 

I had read somewhere that the reason that soul boxset was called "Beg, Scream and Shout" was it was one way of categorizing Soul Singers.   I have a good idea who the Beg and Scream Soul Singers are, still unclear on Shout singers are.  Anyways, I would say Lee Fields was a beggar with a hit of shout in his style.

Audience was indeed quite mixed in representation age wise, etc and the sound was excellent.  Looking forward to seeing Lady Wray there...
T.Rex

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #4739 on: November 21, 2022, 02:37:43 pm »
After seeing the video of Bartees Strange performing at the Getty Museum, I knew this was a show I didn't want to miss and he did not disappoint.  The new album "Farm To Table" is already a must have from this year and the single "Heavy Heart" is a top song for the year as well, the huge riff/hook midway through the song gets me every time.

Show wasn't sold out at time of doors and if it didn't sellout it was very close to doing so.  Audience was great, diverse and totally into the set.  I suspect he'll be at Anthem in a couple years time. He and his band was on fire, especially his badass drummer Momma Johnson.  I was trying to figure out Momma's background because she stuck me as possibly as having studied to be a Jazz drummer as she played with more dynamics then most rock drummers. 

Bartees clearly enjoys performing live and moments of the show felt spontaneous instead of calculated.  He is definitely going places!

Spring Silver's set was bit ramshackle/rough around the edges but I guess that's the point.  Would catch him if he were on a bill with other bands I'm interested in seeing.

Couldn't at all get into Pom Pom Squad as they seemed to be trying way to hard, seemed to have a backing track in use and and in between songs had snippets of other peoples song in the mix including a Prince song.  Of course it didn't help I was grumpy due to a chatty couple plopping themselves along the balcony railing right in front of where I was sitting.

Here is the link to Bartee's Getty Museum performance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I55hQ8FuiHI
T.Rex