Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1299893 times)

Yada

Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #4755 on: December 12, 2022, 11:15:17 am »
Anyone else catch the Big Star tribute show last week? Upon reflection, that was one of the best concerts I've ever seen. I can't stop thinking about it. What made it so special? I felt like every musician on that stage bared their soul at some point through singing, guitar solos, etc. It's the kind of music that transcends time and takes you someplace else. It was a religious experience...the kind of show that stays with you for a while and makes you look differently at life. Plus, I've never seen Mike Mills look so happy on a stage. I'm not sure they'll be doing more of them (Mike says not for a while), but if any more shows happen, I'm getting on a plane to see them.

I heard about this show, but only after the fact. What was the venue and what other musicians played?

Didn't know about it until it was happening as well...

Union Stage

The Beatle looking dude in wilco was in the band

Space Freely

« Reply #4756 on: December 12, 2022, 11:18:13 am »
Anyone else catch the Big Star tribute show last week? Upon reflection, that was one of the best concerts I've ever seen. I can't stop thinking about it. What made it so special? I felt like every musician on that stage bared their soul at some point through singing, guitar solos, etc. It's the kind of music that transcends time and takes you someplace else. It was a religious experience...the kind of show that stays with you for a while and makes you look differently at life. Plus, I've never seen Mike Mills look so happy on a stage. I'm not sure they'll be doing more of them (Mike says not for a while), but if any more shows happen, I'm getting on a plane to see them.

I heard about this show, but only after the fact. What was the venue and what other musicians played?

Union Stage

I'm guessing you mean Patrick Sansone? We refer to him as the old lady looking dude (when he doesn't have a beard.)

Yada

« Reply #4757 on: December 12, 2022, 11:20:35 am »

Union Stage

I'm guessing you mean Patrick Sansone? We refer to him as the old lady looking dude (when he doesn't have a beard.)

Hahah yes... he could be a golden girl

Vas Deferens

« Reply #4758 on: December 12, 2022, 11:53:38 am »
paging challenged...he went to that Big Star "tribute" show......and also caught Spoon at Anthem.
(_|_)

Space Freely

« Reply #4759 on: December 12, 2022, 12:41:47 pm »
paging challenged...he went to that Big Star "tribute" show......and also caught Spoon at Anthem.

Spoon at Anthem?

Edit: I thought that show was at Cap One.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2022, 12:44:28 pm by Space Freely »

Vas Deferens

« Reply #4760 on: December 12, 2022, 01:20:27 pm »
yep, DC101 party with Jimmy Eat World, etc
(_|_)

heff

« Reply #4761 on: December 12, 2022, 02:58:17 pm »
Here's a good writeup of the Big Star show https://trouserpress.com/forum/read.php?1,64982,64985#msg-64985

Bagley

« Reply #4762 on: December 12, 2022, 05:50:34 pm »

I saw a Big Star tribute at the clarb a few years back.  It was pretty cool to see Mitch Easter performing.... Was he there this time?

Bagley

« Reply #4763 on: December 12, 2022, 06:06:31 pm »
First Ween show for me.  Got a spot near the soundboard next to a taper dude in the overpacked venue.
The people around me couldn't have been nicer.

I gotta say I liked the softer numbers the best, especailly the bluesy/jazzy keyboard driven song earlyish in the show.  My Own Bare Hands is a great one.  Though many of the metal-like songs were a little much for me.  Honestly, some of the performance felt like the byproduct of a Spinal Tap/ Tenacious D union.

Yada

« Reply #4764 on: December 12, 2022, 06:17:32 pm »
First Ween show for me.  Got a spot near the soundboard next to a taper dude in the overpacked venue.
The people around me couldn't have been nicer.

I gotta say I liked the softer numbers the best, especailly the bluesy/jazzy keyboard driven song earlyish in the show.  My Own Bare Hands is a great one.  Though many of the metal-like songs were a little much for me.  Honestly, some of the performance felt like the byproduct of a Spinal Tap/ Tenacious D union.

hahah... That was always my ONE gripe with Ween (well, maybe more than one)... but I can't stand The D and there is the occasional similarity. As I said, in my recap in the Ween thread, def. not my ideal set and I prefer your songs vs. the metal as well. I don't mind a couple, but when a set is primarily the metal tunes, it drops in preference.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #4765 on: December 12, 2022, 07:39:42 pm »

We def dont need to hear Vallejo next year.
(_|_)

« Reply #4766 on: December 12, 2022, 10:30:45 pm »

We def dont need to hear Vallejo next year.
as long as they replace it with el Camino I am ok with that

I haven’t hear beneus tardes in a decade now ghat I think of it
slack

Starsky

« Reply #4767 on: December 12, 2022, 10:43:24 pm »
I love Vallejo

You people are sick!!

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4768 on: December 13, 2022, 12:09:48 am »
I haven’t hear beneus tardes in a decade now ghat I think of it

please re-read that, slowly, then tell us how drunk were you when you wrote that?
<sig>

Starsky

« Reply #4769 on: December 13, 2022, 02:05:13 am »
I met Shemp at the Lemonheads!

BOOM!