Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1349838 times)

hutch

Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #5430 on: May 23, 2024, 08:29:34 am »
Sounds like she is making moves to go mainstream….

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #5431 on: May 23, 2024, 08:31:27 am »
Good show by Sierra Ferrell at the Club last night. No doubt she will be Anthem'd next time. Grateful, I got to see her five times before then.

I mean, don't let me stop you...

hutch

« Reply #5432 on: May 23, 2024, 08:32:28 am »
Ha!

Space has Grateful on the brain

Space Freely

« Reply #5433 on: May 23, 2024, 08:53:02 am »
Sounds like she is making moves to go mainstream….

Yeah, I'm not 100% certain, but she may have even shaved her armpits.

The grills though, that's not mainstream unless you're a rapper, is it?

hutch

« Reply #5434 on: May 23, 2024, 11:45:19 am »
I think it’s a mainstream fashion statement

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #5435 on: May 30, 2024, 02:01:09 am »
a few thoughts on PJ last night... ok fine, many thoughts.

we kicked things off at KEXP HQ, which had a pre-show party and a PJ poster display/sale/auction.  i'm not a poster guy so i didn't look into how to buy (there was some app & QR code thingy) but the assembled poster collectors were clearly in heaven.  the posters seems to span their entire career, and there were some really nice ones.

the openers, Deep Sea Divers, were decent.  they would have been better in a club, but what a great opportunity for a local band to get exposure and experience on the big stage.  best part was a riser at the front of the stage that read "GUITAR SOLO BOX".  they ended their set with their lead woman doing an extended guitar solo - atop the box.  truth in advertising.

when PJ hit the stage there was so much energy. i thought the pacing of the show was... interesting.  "Release" was up first - a beautiful sing-along, very cathartic, but a strange choice to start a show IMO.  then they went into "Thin Air" which is barely a step above a ballad.  it was a great performance, but the song's energy didn't match the crowd's, IMO.  the show was a slow burn, i found myself constantly wanting more, culminating with a blistering performance of "Rearviewmirror" - good gawd that RAWKED - FINALLY - unfortunately it was the last song of the main set.  just as the band seemed to finally match the energy level of the crowd, they walked off stage ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

luckily the encore (second set?) was more in tune with the masses (or was it my expectations?).  after an eddie solo acoustic "Just Breathe" and the harmonium on "River Cross", they got back into the swing of things (Running, Do the Revolution, Alive, All Along the Watchtower, etc.). they brought the plane in for landing with "Yellow Ledbetter" and "Setting Sun", a perfect send-off.  overall, the second part of the show worked better for me than the first.

eddie's voice was in top form.  last time i saw the band was verizon center 2006, as far as i can remember, and i swear he sounded better last night than back then.  he was also noticeably tipsier too ;D  during "Daughter", eddie climbed atop the GA barricade and held the hand of a 7 or 8 year old girl who was perched on the shoulders of her (presumably) father.  t'was an endearing/saccharine moment (and yes, she was wearing over-ear hearing protection).

for the gearheads: mike and stone played a parade of top-shelf guitars -  a gold-top 355, a Karina explorer, a gorgeous mid-70's Les Paul Custom, an endless stream of vintage Strats, etc... even Jeff got in on the look-at-my-axe show with some tasty custom basses (looks like he had an 8-string Alembic at one point).  the band had two keyboardists/multi-instrumentalists behind them, who also occasionally rocked some tasty sixes.

great show.  tempted to sneak out tomorrow for night 2...

setlist and a few pix.
<sig>

hutch

« Reply #5436 on: May 30, 2024, 08:06:31 am »
Jealous!!!

They haven’t come around a lot lately…I saw them around 2010 at the Lube I think…

They could just play RVM over and over again for two hours and I wouldn’t complain!!

Set list has a lot of song titles I don’t recognize. I guess from the new album.  The last PJ album I loved was Backspacer

Sounds like it was truly electric…
« Last Edit: May 30, 2024, 08:14:11 am by Frosty Finger »

Cock Van Der Palm

« Reply #5437 on: May 30, 2024, 08:35:50 am »
Nice review. Last time I saw them was epic Ten show in Philly I was 2nd row GA (you can see me in crowd on the Philly Nugs show recording). Looking forward to Baltimore show.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2024, 08:41:34 am by Cock Van Der Palm »

Space Freely

« Reply #5438 on: May 30, 2024, 09:10:57 am »
One time long ago I won tickets to this show:

https://www.concertarchives.org/concerts/red-hot-chili-peppers-lukin-and-smashing-pumpkins-with-pearl-jam-at-houston-field-house-rensselaer-polytechnic-institute-november-5-1991

I won free tickets to this show on my college radio station. I couldn't find anyone who wanted to go with me, so I went by myself. I should say that at this point in time my college friends had graduated and moved away and I had stayed in town for grad school..so I was probably short on friends to ask...

I had seen RHCP in college and thought they were ok. I was a big fand of Gish, so Smashing Pumpkins were the band I really wanted to see. Never heard of Pearl Jam or Lukin.

So I arrived for the last couple of songs by the opener called Pearl Jam, and daggum, I thought they might have something there. I don't even remember the second band, Lukin. There appears to be no setlist. Did they even play that night? They appear to be named after a former member of Mudhoney.

Next up was Smashing Pumpkins. They were...kind of like poseur rock stars. I wanted to like them way more than I did, but they just didn't do it for me live.

Finally, RHCP played. Maybe it was the terrible sounds of the hockey arena. Maybe they just rubbed me the wrong way. Maybe it was a premonition that a someday 60 year old Anthony Kiedis would date 19 year olds (so says Facebook),,,but anyway, they annoyed the shit out of me and I left halfway through.

That was the last time I saw any of those four (three?) bands live. The two Pearl Jam songs were the highlight of the night,

hutch

« Reply #5439 on: May 30, 2024, 10:45:55 am »
Yeah I saw RHCP once in Buenos Aires and think I left early…this was a legendarily bad show people still talk about 22 years later…...i kind of can’t stand them….if you are that interested in Kiedis’ behavior read Scar Tissue otherwise you really should shut the fuck up as regurtitating stuff you read on the internet is pretty uninformed

I saw Pumpkins on Mellon Collie tour in Chicago and it was a decent show..

On Lollapalooza Billy was insufferable….someone threw a water bottle on stage and he threatened crowd with stopping show. Beastie Boys blew them off the stage.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2024, 10:47:29 am by Frosty Finger »

Yada

« Reply #5440 on: May 30, 2024, 10:53:47 am »
LOL... Didn't have hutch getting mad @ space about Anthony Kiedas rumors on my forum bingo card...

But yeah, they're one of the most annoying bands in history.

Acid for the Children was a good read though.

hutch

« Reply #5441 on: May 30, 2024, 11:03:39 am »
Well he keeps going on about Kiedis…

Space is always the first to point his finger at people and say “Bad!!! You shouldn’t do that!! Don’t do that!”

People die and there he is to go “research “ and then tell everyone about all that person’s imperfections and issues.

He’s like a nasty old gossip…
« Last Edit: May 30, 2024, 11:07:08 am by Frosty Finger »

Space Freely

« Reply #5442 on: May 30, 2024, 01:35:29 pm »
I read Scar Tissue years ago.

I think I clicked on a Keidis FB link once, and when you click on it once, it starts sending you more and more of the same shit. The Epstein Island internet kooks really have it in for him.

hutch

« Reply #5443 on: May 30, 2024, 01:47:55 pm »
Look I am not putting my hands in the fire for him and I wouldn’t testify as a character witness for him but there used to be a sordid side to rock and roll. And one can find episodes of poor behavior in most of their lives….and some people in rock and roll never grow up or grow up real late…..

bearman🐻

« Reply #5444 on: June 10, 2024, 09:22:16 am »
Saw the NYC Miki Berenyi Trio w/Budgie/Lol Tolhurst opening. What an insanely fun evening. Both bands used backing tracks to a degree, but Miki's was pretty much just drums/percussion. Loved the performance, and it was all over the place from Lush to Piroshka to MB3 tunes. It felt like it went incredibly fast, which is always a sign that it's a good show. Lol and Budgie did their own thing, and it was really interesting and fun to watch. Lol is stoic, Budgie is a total showman. Had Budgie sign my copy of "Kaleidoscope" and he was incredibly sweet. Miki is always funny as fuck and a joy. Always fun to gossip about stuff like the Cocteau Twins' disastrous 1994 tour. And Mick from Modern English was on bass for Miki...lovely guy. He told me that the original 44 bands to play Atlantis got engraved watches from Seth. He didn't have his on, but he absolutely loves it. Really nice touch Seth!