Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1268631 times)

DotTheEyes

Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #825 on: July 21, 2014, 05:41:57 pm »
I did not go, but based on posts on the Merriweather Facebook page, etc., it seems a lot of people left the Queen + Adam Lambert show very angry, particularly regarding the Gatecrashers event beforehand.  Lots of, "Worst venue ever.  I will never spend my money there again!"/"My wife nearly died because of the poor planning!" type posturing.

« Reply #826 on: July 22, 2014, 08:51:46 am »
I so want to make fun of the crowd that attended that....but I saw that Seth was one too...so I'll refrain

-edit yes Brian May is a guitar deity
slack

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #827 on: July 22, 2014, 10:11:49 am »
QOTSA is the worst, they play boring guitars and drums
is this bait

I am pretty sure he was kidding. Kosmo would never say something like that ;)

Sorry about that... Evilsanta got a hold of my phone when I wasn't looking and felt something was missing from the discussion.  He's been banished to the basement, where he continues to work on his latest creation Mumfordstep.  I'm worried he might try to collaborate with the Lumineers on their dubstep follow up
T.Rex

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #828 on: July 22, 2014, 10:15:55 am »
I'm worried he might try to collaborate with the Lumineers on their dubstep follow up
"I once accidentally downloaded a Lumineers' song? I had to throw away my whole computer just to be safe!" - Tom Haverford (Parks & Rec)
LVMH

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #829 on: July 22, 2014, 10:46:16 am »
so my friend, went to the philly queen show, and said it rocked.  had great seats, and loved it.  so i watched some videos of the show; gosh darn it, i love youtube.  i determined, that yes, the gay guy can sing, but good lord, he has no stage presence at all . . . no umpth, no motion in his ocean, no freddie like power prancing around the stage like he is the god of all things rock. 

hemisphire

« Reply #830 on: July 23, 2014, 01:30:59 pm »
We went to the Queen show, entered from the mall side in a long but fast moving line.  I was very happy to get the email from FWB about the VIP Deck Pass, especially since we brought my nearly 3 year old daughter and it was quiet and secluded back there (even saw Seth).  The Pepe food truck had delicious sandwiches and the show was really good (Adam's stage presence was ok, but his voice was incredible, totally nailed "Somebody To Love").  My daughter was a trooper, lasted through six songs (with ear protection) before moving from dancing on the seats to dancing at top of the stairs. It turns the best way to keep a toddler occupied there is to find a broken pinball machine where she can keep putting a quarter in and getting it out. But she had a great time, just wished they'd had kids sizes in shirts (a little surprised to see Veruca Salt had kids shirts the next night). Her first IMP show, but not her last.

gavroche

« Reply #831 on: July 24, 2014, 12:54:10 am »
I thought Nick Cave and the band was in pretty great form tonight.  The show itself wasn't too different from Strathmore in terms of structure and set list but it had a different feel.  It started off with a lot of energy and was pretty rocking right up until he killed it with the ballads.  Then, for me, he had trouble getting the energy level back up again.  In general Nick seemed to be in better spirits I felt.  Sound in DAR was definitely muddy up front.  I can't tell if it was getting worse as I got closer to the stage, or if it was the chaos of Mercy Seat, etc... at the end, but for me that took some of the power away from that part of the show. 

I ended up about 3rd person back center and was holding him up for much of Stagger Lee.   

I felt a bit bad for the people who had paid for VIP tickets.  There were people standing in front of them right from the beginning and I noticed a couple who left very early because they were uncomfortable.  It was clear tonight right from the beginning that no one was going to respect the isles and Nick was beckoning people forward much earlier. I think that was a big part of why there was more energy at the beginning.

The encore to me was a bit of a letdown after the energy of Stagger Lee, but I'm not sure what he can do to fix that.

Nicole Atkins was pretty good as the opener.  Actually better than sharon Van Etten was, even though I like Sharon Van Etten's albums a lot.

stevewizzle

« Reply #832 on: July 24, 2014, 02:08:55 am »
Nicole Atkins was pretty good as the opener.  Actually better than sharon Van Etten was, even though I like Sharon Van Etten's albums a lot.

SVE is best enjoyed on album.  seems like her and her band are too dynamic of an act to be able to pull off a fluid, live show.

DotTheEyes

« Reply #833 on: July 24, 2014, 02:53:40 am »
It was my first Bad Seeds show, and I had an amazing time.  He played most of my favorites--"The Ship Song," for example, and, of course, "Stagger Lee"--and his campy, foreboding, lusty, theatrical, etc. stage presence is riveting.

I did briefly wonder if people at the very front were annoyed by people with seats throughout the hall rushing to the stage.  Cave certainly did not hide his disdain for the layout of the venue...

gavroche

« Reply #834 on: July 24, 2014, 06:28:37 am »

SVE is best enjoyed on album.  seems like her and her band are too dynamic of an act to be able to pull off a fluid, live show.

Interesting.  I thought it might have been that SVE just didn't fill a big space so well and that she might have had an easier time in a club gig.  I was bummed to miss her recent show.

betao

« Reply #835 on: July 24, 2014, 08:18:45 am »
It was my first Bad Seeds show, and I had an amazing time.  He played most of my favorites--"The Ship Song," for example, and, of course, "Stagger Lee"--and his campy, foreboding, lusty, theatrical, etc. stage presence is riveting.

I did briefly wonder if people at the very front were annoyed by people with seats throughout the hall rushing to the stage.  Cave certainly did not hide his disdain for the layout of the venue...

I wondered about that, too. This was my first time at DAR - is rushing to the stage like that a regular thing there? I would think it's against fire code to have people in the aisles when the lights go down, but I guess DC is different in that aspect. Definitely didn't seem to matter where your seats where, if you're allowed to do that.

It was my first Seeds show and I thought it was great. Nick Cave is such a mesmerizing performer. The band's chemistry was very tight too. Highlights for me included Tupelo, Mermaid, From Her to Eternity, Stagger Lee, and (I think) Higgs Boson Blues.

James Ford

« Reply #836 on: July 24, 2014, 08:22:54 am »
The idea of a 57 year old balding man with dyed hair acting "lusty" just seems comical to me. And sort of gross.

« Reply #837 on: July 24, 2014, 08:32:34 am »
  Cave certainly did not hide his disdain for the layout of the venue...
-Nick Cave on the DAR "this place is annoying"

Well I will say that it was a fantastic show from start to finish for me.
K8 was right Jubilee Street was really powerful, in fact a lot of the songs from Push Away were phenomenally better than the album versions.

I don't know if I would characterize Cave as lusty, but the man can just render about any emotion on cue.  Love, distain, anger, sympathy, bravado, spirituality, humor, madness, joy and yes even lust.  He really is so much more than an indie rock star, but a performer who creates characters and stories that you can just walk into and shake their hands.  There are few people in rock that are doing that as expertly as Nick does.

He does love getting out in the crowd and connecting with the fans.  I don't know if is because IMP is involved with the shows at the DAR, but things are different there on nights IMP puts a show on.  I don't think you were ever allowed to bring drinks inside the theater, but now you can ;D.  I think the fans in the isles is the same thing.  Before the show even started the isles in the front were filling up I was really happy with the tickets I got from the early presale.  I didn't have front row and I could see being annoyed if I had gotten some and then all these other people who got cheap seats came down and stood in front of me.  But I think yada said it before...seats have no place at a rock show.  I wonder how hard it would be to remove the first 20 rows of seats and make a GA section?

Warren Ellis was really fun to watch , jumping around like a banshee.  At one point he threw his bow up and nailed the lights overhead and almost impaled the bassist.

What I really liked is how they took songs from the albums and really fleshed them out in the context of the set.  The build ups and crescendos, rocking out in the mayhem of a song like Right Red Hand into the quietness of Mermaids.  At some points Nick would whisper and the audience was silent.

Mid set he put in a lot of the slow ballads  West Country Girl -> Into My Arms  -> People Ain't No Good  -> God Is in the House  -> The Weeping Song  -> Higgs Boson Blues  but then got everyone riled up with a killer Mercy Seat - > Stagger Lee.  Stagger was awesome too as he stretched out and even added a new little call and response as well as an additional verse of Stag putting 4 holes in the Devils m-f'n head.

Push away the sky was kind of a let down after Stag, but jez can't even believe I'm complaining about that.

Encore was top notch too... Just nailed Deanna and made my night.
They said their goodbyes and were walking off the stage and Nick looked at the crowd "you want one more don't ya?"  well of course the crowd responded appropriately and they played a rousing Lyre of Orpheus

I have always put the NC&BS show at the 9:30 on the MB tour as one of my top 5 shows ever...this one was on par with that.  Bucket list performance 

« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 09:46:44 am by Sidehatch »
slack

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #838 on: July 24, 2014, 08:36:35 am »
The idea of a 57 year old balding man with dyed hair acting "lusty" just seems comical to me. And sort of gross.
Don't be so self-loathing, Rhett. You're an OK guy, I guess.
LVMH

Yada

« Reply #839 on: July 24, 2014, 09:13:45 am »
LOLDAR