Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1268626 times)

emmanuel

Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #1035 on: November 10, 2014, 10:43:02 am »
When was the last time Hook played DC? I thought he toured all the time. I always skipped his shows because I though it would be more "cover band" than band, but everyone says it is great so now I wanna go, but I haven't see him listed around where I live for the last 4 years or so.

Four shows last weekend! Nels Cline Singers / Robyn Hitchcock / Howe Gelb / Cibo Matto.

I'm tired of dinner-concerts at Rams Head on Stage and Jammin' Java now. Cant believe someone somewhere thought it was a good idea to combine a restaurant and indie rock shows.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 11:03:47 am by emmanuel »

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #1036 on: November 10, 2014, 10:45:30 am »
I'm tired of dinner-concerts at Rams Head on Stage and Jammin' Java now. Cant believe someone somewhere thought it was a good idea to combine a restaurant and indie rock shows.
Personally, I go to the Birchmere for the food.
LVMH

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #1037 on: November 10, 2014, 11:02:16 am »
i enjoy eating while at a show or at one of those neato Alamo movie theatre houses, but find the process a complete annoyance to anybody else around me.  but do i care . . . that is the question.

« Reply #1038 on: November 10, 2014, 11:27:45 am »
When was the last time Hook played DC? I thought he toured all the time. I always skipped his shows because I though it would be more "cover band" than band, but everyone says it is great so now I wanna go, but I haven't see him listed around where I live for the last 4 years or so.

12/1/2010 at the club.
It really was more than a coverband.  What surprised me is that he sings and really sounds a lot like Ian.  I wish he played bass the whole time though, when he did, it sounded awesome.
slack

betao

« Reply #1039 on: November 10, 2014, 01:54:11 pm »

12/1/2010 at the club.
It really was more than a coverband.  What surprised me is that he sings and really sounds a lot like Ian.  I wish he played bass the whole time though, when he did, it sounded awesome.

He also played in 2011, doing Closer in full. That show wasn't anymore crowded than the Unknown Pleasures. Still a fun night, and Hooky played alot more bass than he did the previous year, which was certainly nice.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #1040 on: November 11, 2014, 10:20:06 am »
Temples sounded absolutely boss at the club last night, with an impressive liquid light show featuring five overhead projectors and two dudes probably still high from the sixties..
How full was it?  That seems like a huge jump in venue size for them in a short time... Did I miss something?  Did they get a song on the radio or something?

Saw them at the Fillmore in San Francisco back in September.  Was definitely under-attended.

i meant to follow-up on this earlier... i'm bad at estimating attendance at the club, but it seemed about half full for Temples and the people there were into the show.  they themselves said playing the club may have been ambitious, but getting to hear them on the club's PA verses a smaller club was great. 
T.Rex

Yada

« Reply #1041 on: November 12, 2014, 10:00:41 am »
any truth to the rumor that azaghal1981 was tricked into attending the Concert for Valor last night?

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1042 on: November 12, 2014, 01:41:41 pm »
any truth to the rumor that azaghal1981 was tricked into attending the Concert for Valor last night?

was a crowd-funding campaign involved?
<sig>

Yada

« Reply #1043 on: November 12, 2014, 04:12:15 pm »

the rumor I heard as the he was tricked into thinking Perfect Pussy was playing a house show at GW and was dropped on the mall.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #1044 on: November 12, 2014, 04:28:20 pm »

the rumor I heard as the he was tricked into thinking Perfect Pussy was playing a house show at GW and was dropped on the mall.
When will this sight-on-blind crime end!!?
LVMH

azaghal1981

« Reply #1045 on: November 12, 2014, 10:32:44 pm »
I would've been able to tell something was off at around the transfer to the blue/orange line.

Don't think I would've known anyone dumb enough to have tried driving in.
احمد

Yada

« Reply #1046 on: November 20, 2014, 02:15:08 pm »
how was Alt-J?

« Reply #1047 on: November 20, 2014, 03:00:33 pm »
You know it was fantastic...didn't want to waste my 1000'th post on them

So the echostage is definitely on the sketchy side of town.
When we got close, I told the person driving...follow all those skinny white kids and we'll get right to the front door

with that said... this area has improved quite a bit since the early 90s when I was a fearful youth at one of those Gas stations.

The sound at the Echostage is really good and do think I was particularly lucky to be behind row and rows of short girls.  Alt-J seems like a good show to pick up the cute ladies at...as there were lots

Only canned beer, but you could get 16oz cans of Stella for $7 which isn't too bad.

As I said they really had the sound perfect, as Alt-j really has their own distinct one and it was pitch perfect from where I was (always left side by the bar...)

They played a lot off the first album (which I think is better anyway)
Matildia became a sing along with the audience and the crowd knew just about every song played
Shesheshe, something good and tessellate were really tight

The new songs sounded really good.  I particularly like Every other Freckle and it sounded awesome after Tessellate

the Lovely Day cover is just ehh

This was the last date of the tour and they were a little chatty ...but not like a Ryan Adams show chatty...but chatty for them
The closed with a blazing rendition of Breezeblocks and blew out some confetti

slack

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #1048 on: November 20, 2014, 03:15:11 pm »
was it all good looking people?  i just assume, only good looking people go see them.  when i went to see them at the club, it was the beautiful people everywhere.  and they were snorting caviar daydreams and chugging champagne auras.

Yada

« Reply #1049 on: November 20, 2014, 03:29:06 pm »