Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1289824 times)

Space Freely

Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #3315 on: December 12, 2018, 09:54:03 am »
Given my wife's talent for turning a one minute rant about how much she hated the show into a 20 minute rant about how much she hated the show, as well as her love for tweener pop, it seems like that's the show she should have went to.

I loved the Phosphorescent show. No complaints from me. Except for the idiot dancing girl who repeatedly stepped on my foot and never apologized once.

Yada

« Reply #3316 on: December 12, 2018, 11:07:56 am »
Phosphorescent
Devotchka

Can't believe you paid over $30 when tickets are currently $12 on StubHub space!

For which show? Paid $25 for Phosphorescent and haven't bought the Devotchka ticket.

Can't play the numbers game for tickets when babysitters are involved. Need the advance tickets to make definitive plans.
was originally a response in roll call....but seemed more appropriate here

had a new kid/concert experience
we didn't have tickets to the Jingle ball at Capital One Area last night
I'd dealt with no less than 10 scam artists trying to get a good deal on tickets...
there were easily 500 seats availble..with a ton on the floor in the back
So I knew we'd not get sold out, but ticket prices started at $60 for the 400s and went up to $250 ...face
but I was convinced I could get a better deal due to the tons of avilable seats and people just stuck with tickets
but for some reason the stubhub/seatgeek market wouldn't break at all
especially for 3 seats
I was a little shocked that all these seats were still available at 6PM with a show that started in 30 mins
I really thought some of those people with $250 tickets would say 'f-it I'd rather make $100 than lose $500'
but was constantly going back and forth between stubhub/seatgeek and some other brokers (most use the same data)
I got to imagine some of those seat were from people who some how got the tix for free, so not getting their money wasn't that big of a deal

what I didn't realize is that you can't buy tickets online via Ticketmaster an hour before the show start? (or something like that...as at 5:15ish I couldn't on my phone or desktop get tickets and doors opened at 630
so I couldn't get a guaranteed ticket and wasn't willing to pay more than face for a ticket...
So I stepped out of my comfort zone and was going to do it for the kids
I pack the two kids 12/9 in the car and we're just going to wing it on the mean streets of DC (this town used to be much sketcher at night)

I get down there and promptly was warned by one of the cap center staff to 'beware' of scalpers which my kids heard and I could tell sent shivers down their spines

I go to the box office and didn't talk to them yet as I saw a gaggle of scalpers
course they didn't have 3 in a row
they also knew the cheapest tix was $90 at the box office

did feel a little sketchy with my young daughters, dealing with an illegal transaction in broad daylight with cops no less than 50 yards away
especially after that foreshadowing from the security guy
There was definitely a bead of sweat on my brow as our tickets were scanned...

all ended well because there were 20% empty seats in our section
and paid off big time as I got dad of the year award smiles as they sang every note of all the acts
Show overall wasn't that bad...although probably couldn't see my self going for free...the things you do for love

Chainsmokers...the final act...was a major letdown IMO
all the guest vocals were just the studio tracks (c'mon get a good back up singer, jez)
and he did the Chris martin part poorly
they did have some crazy pyrotechnics...and being 10 rows away and up...we felt it

Sabrina carpenter...we actually know her stuff, but only caught the last 90 seconds of her set...nice red suit tho
Bazzi was really good and didn't realize I'd already heard some of his songs, #2 performance for me
NF was ok...surprised he can pack the anthem, his last two hits are fun, but ...most of the vocals were pre recorded(theme)!? He did come out in a cage and climbed all over it during his set, which I thought was a nice touch
bebe rexa was very good and really hammed it up with the crowd, not my thing but she delivered on what was expected
Shawn Mendez was probably the best performance of the night, tight band, great songs and he's kinda dreamy (kid quote)
G-eazy - I do/did like his song with Halsey Him and I ...but her part was just a studio track and it's almost half of the song, rest of his set was meh.  he just annoys me, I guess that makes me blind to his raw talent?...but he's just not believable as the tough guy he acts like.  NF was much more convincing
Meghan Tranior - I expected this to be my fav, but just wasn't that wow'd She had a great band and dancers, but just sounded thin.  especially after g-eazy blew everyone ears out prior

Let both the kids sleep in and got hassled by both schools for bringing them in late
still ended up being kind of expensive, but we got decent seats and they had an awesome time (which is an awesome time for me even if I didn't love the bands)

Great review, would read again.

Yada

« Reply #3317 on: December 12, 2018, 11:15:37 am »
Given my wife's talent for turning a one minute rant about how much she hated the show into a 20 minute rant about how much she hated the show, as well as her love for tweener pop, it seems like that's the show she should have went to.

I loved the Phosphorescent show. No complaints from me. Except for the idiot dancing girl who repeatedly stepped on my foot and never apologized once.

A little schticky/generic at times, but a good show nonetheless... nothing better than a lightly attended 930 show, a stark contrast to the butts to nuts Khruangbin show from Friday night!

Vas Deferens

« Reply #3318 on: December 12, 2018, 11:18:33 am »
Khruangbin?  What's the big deal about this band?  Sure, there's a hot lady swinging her hips from side to side, but their music is pretty repetitive.
(_|_)

Yada

« Reply #3319 on: December 12, 2018, 11:20:10 am »
Khruangbin?  What's the big deal about this band?  Sure, there's a hot lady swinging her hips from side to side, but their music is pretty repetitive.

I'm not sure there is a big deal? And my guess, they'll be gone in a few short years, I guess they're just riding the tide of success while they can... But yeah, dat bass player doh.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #3320 on: December 12, 2018, 11:21:37 am »
I'm wondering why they are so popular....that's what I mean...is it the hot lady?

I'm not sure there is a big deal? And my guess, they'll be gone in a few short years, I guess they're just riding the tide of success while they can... But yeah, dat bass player doh.
(_|_)

« Reply #3321 on: December 12, 2018, 11:23:03 am »

another one sporting a 'nudie'
slack

Yada

« Reply #3322 on: December 12, 2018, 11:29:43 am »
I'm wondering why they are so popular....that's what I mean...is it the hot lady?

I think they have a cool unique sound which was the initial interest a few years ago... having eye candy + a killer band helps though. I can't think of any other band(s) that have their sound, so they're riding out a niche IMO. Do I listen to them daily or even often, no... but their sound is interesting and I think they're worth checking out. I've seen them a few times though and doubt I'll go again unless they play a festival or something.

Space Freely

« Reply #3323 on: December 12, 2018, 12:08:35 pm »

This was one of my wife's complaints about Phosphorescent, except she said the music was delivered by "ugly people she didn't want to look at."

hutch

« Reply #3324 on: December 12, 2018, 12:38:25 pm »
Must say your wife is quite the charmer

Space Freely

« Reply #3325 on: December 12, 2018, 01:24:07 pm »
Must say your wife is quite the charmer

Meh, she was just in one of her foul moods. I'm sure it happens to many working moms who usually fall asleep from exhaustion at 10pm but instead try to go to a show on a weeknight.

« Reply #3326 on: December 12, 2018, 01:35:04 pm »

This was one of my wife's complaints about Phosphorescent, except she said the music was delivered by "ugly people she didn't want to look at."
probably should have gone to Khruangbin instead
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #3327 on: December 12, 2018, 02:04:19 pm »

probably should have gone to Khruangbin instead

Or Charlie Puth. She did say that one of the songs were as good as a Charlie Puth song. She also wanted to know why I don't listen to music normal people listen to with songs about being horny and wanting to fuck.

« Reply #3328 on: December 12, 2018, 02:31:28 pm »
She also wanted to know why I don't listen to music normal people listen to with songs about being horny and wanting to fuck.
you'd think by now she'd realize you are not a normal person
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #3329 on: December 12, 2018, 02:32:58 pm »
She also wanted to know why I don't listen to music normal people listen to with songs about being horny and wanting to fuck.
you'd think by now she'd realize you are not a normal person

Hell, you know it and you've never even met me!