Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1268103 times)

Space Freely

Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #4245 on: November 16, 2021, 09:41:01 am »
Wolf Alice, Monday 11/15, Union Stage.

I actually had a ticket for tonight's show, but a fellow boardie swapped nights with me.

The opener was a woman called Bria. I believe she and the guitarist are in Orville Peck's band. She was hot and did country covers from her EP "Cuntry Covers." Covers included songs by Lucinda Williams, Marianne Faithful (Why D'Ya Do It?...which was probably a bit lyrically raw for the dad and  6 year old daughter combo and the dad and 9 year old daughter combo I saw near me), the Walker Brothers, Karen Dalton, and Waylon Jennings. All done in kind of a Mazzy Star way with a husky, ragged voice. I was digging it.

The headliners were Wolf Alice. The singer was named Ellie and she was also hot and did originals, half of which were from their new album. It seemed like she couldn't decide if she was Courtney Love, Gwen Stefani, or Olivia Newton-John, but maybe the point was she nailed everything she tried. Two of the wankers in the band are named Theo and Joff, and some JMU alumni bros kept yelling "I love you Theo. I love you Joff." And I kept thinking of my dog at home, who has one of those names (not Joff, thankfully.) It seemed like Joff was a little over the top in his stage antics, particularly because the guitar work didn't seem that complex (*I'm not a guitarist, I could be wrong. I probably am wrong, I feel horrible for saying that. Joff, if you're reading this I'm totally naming my next dog after you), but it got the bros to love him more, so it's all good.

There were a couple of guys I was eavesdropping on who were rattling off all the upcoming shows they are going to who I really should have pulled the "Are you friends with Kosmo Vinyl?" on, but I didn't because I'm a dork. One was 40's-ish and had unusually small ears (not that there's anything wrong with that, I've heard nose size is the real key) and the other had silver hair and a 9:30 mask and had last seen Dino Jr back in 1986. Do any of you recognize yourself from those descriptions? If not, I guess I should have invited them to be friends with Kosmo Vinyl, but I'm just not bold like that.

Anyway, overall I give the show an 8.25.

Yada

« Reply #4246 on: November 16, 2021, 10:52:47 am »
Wolf Alice, Monday 11/15, Union Stage.

I actually had a ticket for tonight's show, but a fellow boardie swapped nights with me.

The opener was a woman called Bria. I believe she and the guitarist are in Orville Peck's band. She was hot and did country covers from her EP "Cuntry Covers." Covers included songs by Lucinda Williams, Marianne Faithful (Why D'Ya Do It?...which was probably a bit lyrically raw for the dad and  6 year old daughter combo and the dad and 9 year old daughter combo I saw near me), the Walker Brothers, Karen Dalton, and Waylon Jennings. All done in kind of a Mazzy Star way with a husky, ragged voice. I was digging it.

The headliners were Wolf Alice. The singer was named Ellie and she was also hot and did originals, half of which were from their new album. It seemed like she couldn't decide if she was Courtney Love, Gwen Stefani, or Olivia Newton-John, but maybe the point was she nailed everything she tried. Two of the wankers in the band are named Theo and Joff, and some JMU alumni bros kept yelling "I love you Theo. I love you Joff." And I kept thinking of my dog at home, who has one of those names (not Joff, thankfully.) It seemed like Joff was a little over the top in his stage antics, particularly because the guitar work didn't seem that complex (*I'm not a guitarist, I could be wrong. I probably am wrong, I feel horrible for saying that. Joff, if you're reading this I'm totally naming my next dog after you), but it got the bros to love him more, so it's all good.

There were a couple of guys I was eavesdropping on who were rattling off all the upcoming shows they are going to who I really should have pulled the "Are you friends with Kosmo Vinyl?" on, but I didn't because I'm a dork. One was 40's-ish and had unusually small ears (not that there's anything wrong with that, I've heard nose size is the real key) and the other had silver hair and a 9:30 mask and had last seen Dino Jr back in 1986. Do any of you recognize yourself from those descriptions? If not, I guess I should have invited them to be friends with Kosmo Vinyl, but I'm just not bold like that.

Anyway, overall I give the show an 8.25.

A+, would read again.

Starsky

« Reply #4247 on: November 16, 2021, 05:07:48 pm »
That was good Space!

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4248 on: November 16, 2021, 06:58:20 pm »
would the shows have been as enjoyable if the ladies weren't hot?
<sig>

Space Freely

« Reply #4249 on: November 16, 2021, 07:45:01 pm »
would the shows have been as enjoyable if the ladies weren't hot?

I think so. Good  looks can sometimes make a marginal artist more enjoyable, but a good artist is a good artist. That they were eye candy was bonus.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 07:46:35 pm by Space Freely »

Space Freely

« Reply #4250 on: November 16, 2021, 11:00:56 pm »
Correction. The guy with the stage antics was Theo not Joff. Theo was apparently playing bass. Thus giving him even less reason for stage antics

« Reply #4251 on: November 17, 2021, 08:50:38 am »
Dino was rocking last night
Sound was great, but still had to throw in the ole earplugs (which actually made it sound better)
Said sold out, but wasn't even close to lucy dacus packed
you couldn't get up to the front if you wanted to
Was fun to be only a few feet away from J. just wailing on his rig in front of those marshal stacks

Everyone was wearing a mask and signs said you'd be asked to leave if you didn't wear one
Also walked over to where the 930 parking lot (that I never used) and there is a massive 3 story hole in the ground, something big is going in there
slack

Yada

« Reply #4252 on: November 17, 2021, 10:20:39 am »
After not seeing the Flaming Lips for nearly 20 years (18 to be exact), I'll probably wait another 20 to see them again...

slightly entertaining, slightly annoying, basically the same schtick and antics from the Yoshimi era. Also, did Wayne Coyne always babble for multiple minutes between every single song? Maybe he took something good pre show last night, but the terrible banter was just too much.

6.25/10

Starsky

« Reply #4253 on: November 17, 2021, 10:27:04 am »
Feeling yourself disintegrate was so good though….

Yup always the banter

The light show or whatever really benefited from being at Anthem

« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 10:33:08 am by Starsky »

Yada

« Reply #4254 on: November 17, 2021, 10:41:24 am »
Feeling yourself disintegrate was so good though….

Yup always the banter

The light show or whatever really benefited from being at Anthem

Agreed... quite pscyhedelic but after close to two hours it was a bit tiring to look at.

Space Freely

« Reply #4255 on: November 17, 2021, 11:38:41 am »
After not seeing the Flaming Lips for nearly 20 years (18 to be exact), I'll probably wait another 20 to see them again...

slightly entertaining, slightly annoying, basically the same schtick and antics from the Yoshimi era. Also, did Wayne Coyne always babble for multiple minutes between every single song? Maybe he took something good pre show last night, but the terrible banter was just too much.

6.25/10

Tickets on Stubhub got as low as two for $55 (with fees included), but I mistimed it and got shut out. Thanks for the review, I don't feel bad for missing it.

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #4256 on: November 17, 2021, 11:45:07 am »
I really enjoyed Nada Surf at Ottobar. Matthew is so earnest and positive and HOTTTTT!
The opener, Pom Pom Squad, was fun too.

Yada

« Reply #4257 on: November 17, 2021, 11:59:27 am »

6.25/10

Tickets on Stubhub got as low as two for $55 (with fees included), but I mistimed it and got shut out. Thanks for the review, I don't feel bad for missing it.

Nice... can't beat that price.

Bagley

« Reply #4258 on: November 17, 2021, 05:27:26 pm »
First time back to the 9:30 last night after regularly attending concerts there for the last 37 years (minus covid)...  It honestly felt like no time had passed.  Got my senior citizens spot upstairs, back rail.  I was looking forward to Ryley Walker's set as I somehow missed him at Solid Sound in 2015. Funny Yada mentioned this:

Also, did Wayne Coyne always babble for multiple minutes between every single song? Maybe he took something good pre show last night, but the terrible banter was just too much

I felt the same way about Walker.  Though I think it may have been nervous gibberish, as he seemed in awe of both opening for Dino and playing the 9:30 for the first time.  That said, his stage banter was too much...  Loved his music though and the band was tight.  Great opener for Mascis & co.

I was disappointed Dino didn't play Take it Back from the new one but glad we got I Met the Stones.  Barlow's Garden is one of my faves from that record but it didn't fare well live.  Start Choppin and Freak Scene were pristine, however and made up for the shortfalls.  Hatch did you notice that the crew brought out poster boarded lyrics and set them in front of J for some songs?

Over all a great night.  So nice to get back to the 9:30's hallowed halls.

One last thing-  a covid musical phenomenon in evidence at the club- a full blown mosh pit scene with all participants in masks.  Quite the spectacle.

« Reply #4259 on: November 17, 2021, 06:20:39 pm »

One last thing-  a covid musical phenomenon in evidence at the club- a full blown mosh pit scene with all participants in masks.  Quite the spectacle.
I did forget to mention that and actually tried to get in the mix for old times sake...but was only a 2 minute pit and missed out

I Met the Stones was fantastic
they did play 6 songs of the new album

Feel the Pain and Freak Scene hit the spot
would have liked Puke and Cry, but can't get everything
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 06:28:39 pm by himpathy-hatch ® ıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack