Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1287194 times)

nkotb

Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #4905 on: May 22, 2023, 03:49:22 pm »
Like always, everyone needs to play catch up with Boredoms: https://www.stereogum.com/11083/boredoms_revisit_this_whole_lots_of_drummers_thing/news/

Space Freely

« Reply #4906 on: May 24, 2023, 08:08:07 am »
Well I've been a fan of the National since 2003, but somehow had not seen them live. I wasn't looking forward to the prospects of a packed Anthem, but I gave myself a $35 mx to get a ticket. Last minute, I got one on Stubhub for $34.

I got there 15 minute into Soccer Mommy and they were as bad as when they opened for Wilco. I slowly nudged my way to somewhat close to the front. Not in the obnoxious racing with beer in hand way that many of the swine do it, but in the moving up every time someone in front of me leaves to pee or get a beer way. And parking my fat ass close enough so that nobody can stand in front of me. Bonus fact: There are lots of short people at a National show. (Unfortunately the three tall ones made their way on Front of me at one point.)

So the National never blows me away on record, but I think they're incapable of making a bad one. And that's pretty much how they were live. Maybe even a little better, surprisingly. They sold a $40 New Order t-shirt but didn't play the song about it. The singer vapes more on stage than any other singer I've seen before. Note, I don't think I've seen a singer vape on stage before.

This morning I told my daughter than Taylor Swift joined them onstage, but she wasn't having it. Then I tried Phoebe Bridgers, and she was with me until the part where Phoebe smashed a guitar like on SNL, and she asked me how much of the story was true. And I had to admit that the woman and womyn were only there n spirit, respectively.

Yada

« Reply #4907 on: May 24, 2023, 09:45:19 am »
I have to say, Space's post show banter posts have quickly risen to the top as some of my favorites.

Hutch

« Reply #4908 on: May 24, 2023, 09:54:59 am »
+1

Yada

« Reply #4909 on: May 24, 2023, 10:00:07 am »
JRaD was just rippin'

All of these other incarnations of the dead should just stop, including the OG members... Super fun nigh of music.

Sound was HARSH and LOUD though... like way too loud... even with ear plugs. I can't imagine making it through that evening without ear protection.

Getting into the Anthem was the WORST it's ever been for me... HAD Super Excellent seats, showed up 30 minutes before show time and that line was somehow longer than the general admission line.

Went to the box office, they issued me tickets to just go in through GA and then some numbskull in the wristband line said I couldn't enter through GA because I had Super Excellenet seats... LOL. I basically told him to fuck off and just got in line at GA.

Saw my guy hutch briefly and glad I hadn't read his dying post pre show or I maybe would've cried.

Not as exciting as Space's recap... but I saw JRaD again on 5/12 at Pier Six...

The only reason I'm quoting this review is because, well, it's the same band but I wanted to point out that Pier Six was awesome. I hadn't been there since Ween 2017 and I'd go there over an Anthem show every day of the week. Easy to get to, easy to park, lots of options for pre show shenanigans. Better Sound?? Maybe? It didn't make me think I was getting hearing damage with ear plugs in...

I still stand that every dead cover band or reincarnation should just hang it up, other than JRaD.

proper review: https://dcmusicreview.com/jrad-plays-a-sensational-sunset-show-at-baltimores-pier-six-pavilion/
« Last Edit: May 24, 2023, 10:01:58 am by Yada »

Hutch

« Reply #4910 on: May 24, 2023, 10:03:42 am »
I haven’t been there since Ween!

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #4911 on: May 24, 2023, 10:18:51 am »
Never been to P6, but will change that with the Trey show on 7/6

Yada

« Reply #4912 on: May 24, 2023, 10:30:04 am »

Summer calendar is crazy, but hoping to be there!

Space Freely

« Reply #4913 on: May 24, 2023, 10:33:24 am »

Am I going to see the little Yodas at the Time Out Market in Lisbon?

Yada

« Reply #4914 on: May 24, 2023, 11:57:02 am »

Am I going to see the little Yodas at the Time Out Market in Lisbon?

I can't say I get this joke... but no? I think the closest I'll get to Lisbon this summer is hearing The Rat tonight.

nkotb

« Reply #4915 on: May 24, 2023, 12:06:06 pm »
To see Space go from board villain to respected elder warms my heart

I have to say, Space's post show banter posts have quickly risen to the top as some of my favorites.

But speaking of past Space, I saw the National once at the Black Cat opening for someone a thousand years ago.  Thought they were British, which is probably the worst thing I can think about a band.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #4916 on: May 24, 2023, 12:37:48 pm »
I don’t write long form concert recaps like Space unless I’m getting paid or money is going to charity but I did Bob Moog’s 89th birthday bash at the Moogseum last night and Patrick Gleeson did some of the Apocolypse Now score and then DJed for a bit. The champagne was subpar, however. B-minus overall.
LVMH

Yada

« Reply #4917 on: May 24, 2023, 12:52:43 pm »
  respected 

Hey, slow the fuck down sir.

Space Freely

« Reply #4918 on: May 25, 2023, 08:23:38 am »
I hate to start a show review in such a cheesy way, but as recently as four years ago, the singer from Phantom Planet was going down on Franco-Manitoban Oscar winning actess Brie Larson. Or, maybe he wasn't. The engagement was called off. That seeemed to follow the same relationship trajectory as his musical and sexy haired contemporary one Benjamin Gibbard and his French/Quaker bride who was in the movie Elf.

However, unlike Benjamin, guy from Phantom Planet has not gone on to sell out multile nights at MPP and Anthem. He's not playing a show that is part of an amazing history making multiple night residency like his contemporaries Hamilton Lighthouse (9:30 Club) and the Vaping Dude from the National (Anthem) were on the very same night. (Side note: The National really shold have played the Francis Scott Key classic at the Anthem, but I don't want to rehash that show here.) He's playing one night at a small DC club most famous for shit flying out of their window. Furthermore, his loyal bass player now has a paying job as bass player for the Maroon 5, and even recently appeared with them on the Voice. Or so they told us at the show. And his unloyal drummer Jason Schwarznegger (the only reason to see the band, in my show absentee wife's humble estimation) left the band to pursue a part time acting career and full time career as son of the Terminator.

So Phantom Planet guy has every right to be jealous, and petty, and to just phone it in on a humpday at DC9. And does he? Hell to the mf-ing no. Bruv owned that stage. He sang his mf-ing heart out. He didn't play Anthem, but he sure did sing it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3idzKA0P8Cw. Bruv was so inspired, he even broke into a RATM cover at one point, and hell they're in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Bruv was hungry. Not for something cheesy, but for some mf-ing rock and roll glory. Though the crowd ate it up like a package of Kraft singles. No brie necessary. I bow to you, singer guy from Phantom Planet.

And skeaping of the crowd, there was really no way to politely make my way to the front of the crowd, so I planted my feet firmly at about the same spot the Yada saw me at the last time I was at DC9. And instead of worming my way through the crowd, I made friends with my neighbors. First, I met the bald, short guy in front of me, with his taller female companion. The openers Range Life were rockers from Jersey (with the name it sounds like they should be from Texas), and bald short guy was telling companion how his ma went to high school with Bongiovi and Bongiovi asked his ma out and his ma turned him down. And then he instead asked out Dorothea and the rest is history. Sure, that's the yarn she spins for her sensitive, short, bald son's ears. But it's not the one that she spins at the Metuchin Senior Center when she's pasta dining with Carmella and Adriana. Oh hell to the mf-ing no. The girls get the whole story of the glory of Italian pubes in the 70's. To my right was Rick Rubin, wearing a Faith No More t-shirt, no less. Or at least I was convinced it was him when I snapped his photo with my handy dandy Space phone. I'm not going to post the photo here, but by the look on his face, Richard has had it with the paparazzi. I'm just glad he didn't Sean Penn me. By the way, it looks like he has returned to his vegan lifestyle. Or else he's carrying a little Richard. It's possible in these woke days, it really is. And skeaping of wrasslin, behind me, I felt one or two of my neighbors repeatedly slamming into me. I turned around to tell them that I'm from Virginia, and Virginia is for lovers when I saw that they were two p.m's (you can't spell it out in this post Lizzo/Dinklage Rick Rubin having a baby woke world we're living in) in a wrasslin match. Figuring they must have been fighting over yours truly, I intervened and told them that back in Virginia, known for it's lovers, I had plenty of dinner leftovers and that they were both welcome to join me and my beloved family. That settled them down. Until they played the RATM song.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2023, 09:42:01 am by Space Freely »

Space Freely

« Reply #4919 on: May 25, 2023, 08:35:36 am »
To see Space go from board villain to respected elder warms my heart

But speaking of past Space, I saw the National once at the Black Cat opening for someone a thousand years ago.  Thought they were British, which is probably the worst thing I can think about a band.

Well they were a band much loved by Markie and poorlulu.