Author Topic: Van Halen Sucks  (Read 42064 times)

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
Re: Van Halen Sucks
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2013, 04:02:12 pm »
I don't like some of Van Halen stuff, but I think they're a solid 80's rock group. Personally, I don't think they hold a candle to GNR, but it was semi different times in the decade. I think Eddie and Diamond Dave are both epic levels of ass hats, but I think what they had for an amount of time was magic. I play guitar, I love playing guitar and watching/listening to gods play guitar and EVH is absolutely up their in my top 10 if not top 5 all time.

So, people can say they suck, and that's fine, I think they rock. At least most of the time. Come on, that drum intro on "Hot For Teacher" into that crazy tapping intro from Eddie? Dude.

OMFG GnR LOL, Axl is the ABSOLUTE WORST vocalist in all of music history.  He doesn't even sing, he screeches.  And that horrible sweet child of mine, gak it makes deaf dogs puke. The only reason he was in the band oi that his mom let them use their garage for practice.
Lol, yeah Kurt Cobain was a way better vocalist, or Karen O, or Wayne Coyne, or Gene Simmons, or Ozzy Osbourne, or Geddy Lee, or Lemmy, or Chad Kroeger, or Jonathan Davis, or Rivers Cuomo, or Trey Anastasio, or Thom Yorke.

Yeah, Rock N Roll is the cream of the crop of angelic, non-screeching voices. Please.
‼‼?‼‼

wml7

« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2013, 04:30:23 pm »
The best part of the show was Bono's irritation with Cap Centre security:

http://u2station.com/tours/1985/04/april-8-1985---landover-maryland-usa---capital-centre.php

This particular night, Bono was mad. Mad at the arena security that is. A bunch of underpaid bullies with no sense of what a concert is supposed to be. During the first few songs, the security guards around the stage were harassing any fan who was having a good time. Bono had had enough, and told the security guards to stop pushing the fans around. Then he ordered the security to leave, and the band refused to play another note until all stage security left the area. Deafening cheers from the 10,000 in attendance. Bono also said to those unfortunate fans in the nosebleeds to come down and sit closer, which literally ended up starting a near-riot. From then on, the show was incredible. Unfortunately, the near-riot caused local officials and the Capitol Centre staff to ban U2 from ever performing in that venue again.

Now this is an awesome story.
 ;D

atomicfront

« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2013, 04:45:44 pm »
I don't like some of Van Halen stuff, but I think they're a solid 80's rock group. Personally, I don't think they hold a candle to GNR, but it was semi different times in the decade. I think Eddie and Diamond Dave are both epic levels of ass hats, but I think what they had for an amount of time was magic. I play guitar, I love playing guitar and watching/listening to gods play guitar and EVH is absolutely up their in my top 10 if not top 5 all time.

So, people can say they suck, and that's fine, I think they rock. At least most of the time. Come on, that drum intro on "Hot For Teacher" into that crazy tapping intro from Eddie? Dude.

OMFG GnR LOL, Axl is the ABSOLUTE WORST vocalist in all of music history.  He doesn't even sing, he screeches.  And that horrible sweet child of mine, gak it makes deaf dogs puke. The only reason he was in the band oi that his mom let them use their garage for practice.

Axl the worst vocalist in music history??? come on have you never heard bob dylan or lou reed attempt to sing. 

Relaxer

« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2013, 05:10:52 pm »

Once again you're either stupid or lying (my guess: BOTH). Axl is from Indiana. GnR formed in L.A. I don't think the band commuted thousands of miles to Axl's home in the midwest. Come up with some more shit to spew.

Seriously, you are never correct, or interesting, on anything.
oword

hutch

« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2013, 05:17:16 pm »

Once again you're either stupid or lying (my guess: BOTH). Axl is from Indiana. GnR formed in L.A. I don't think the band commuted thousands of miles to Axl's home in the midwest. Come up with some more shit to spew.

thank you for saying what i could not say.

as I'm responding to your post I will add that Axl Rose is a heck of a vocalist... as is Bob Dylan..

unfortunately some people don't understand the concept of "singing"... these same clowns would surely also put down Billie Holiday.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2013, 05:23:47 pm »
That growl at the beginning of "Welcome To The Jungle" totally fucking sucks. Screaching sucks. No one ever screaches in Rock N Roll.

"You Could Be Mine". My god. How can you not go crazy to Axl screaming his ass of on that track!?!
‼‼?‼‼

James Ford

« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2013, 05:31:18 pm »
Was the size of the mullet in 1984  directly proportional to the size of the ego, inversely proportional to the size of the penis, or both?

I bet Axl Rose had a mullet three times the length of Bono.

So this must have been the ultimate in suckatude?

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2013, 05:31:55 pm »
it's all in the delivery. johnny cash, nick cave, tom waits.  it's a long list.  bob dylan, lou reed, johnny cash, j mascis, patti smith, john darnielle, iggy pop, none great singers (some of them not even good ones) but tons of style points.

And i'll take appetite gnr over any vh all day long.

PS:  Bono's mullet was amazing

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2013, 05:33:56 pm »
PS:  Bono's mullet was amazing

Yes, context matters here.  80s mullets should not be judged by today's standards.

atomicfront

« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2013, 05:34:08 pm »
You guys are so negative about everyone.  Just appreciate music and stop complaining all the time about this person sucking and that person sucking.  If it is so easy to make tens of millions while sucking so badly why don't you do it yourself?

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2013, 05:55:47 pm »
Axl never had a mullet, he just had that nasty, LA trash, long, stringy ginger hair.

‼‼?‼‼

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2013, 06:23:53 pm »

The part about the garage was a joke.  It has been around for years.  Probably right after the release of the first GnR CD.  Fact remains Axl not only is a total douche but he doesn't sing and what he does do on most songs is a god awful screech that makes dog's ears bleed for miles around.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 06:25:45 pm by RatBastard »
FUKIT

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2013, 06:36:27 pm »

The part about the garage was a joke.  It has been around for years.  Probably right after the release of the first GnR CD.  Fact remains Axl not only is a total douche but he doesn't sing and what he does do on most songs is a god awful screech that makes dog's ears bleed for miles around.

Those dogs had it coming...just as 'victims' of gun violence do. 

vansmack

« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2013, 06:46:55 pm »
I'll be shocked if thread doesn't move on to Radiohead by midday tomorrow, but I do get the feeling it will skip REM all together.

Another longshot would be The Killers by Thursday.
27>34

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #59 on: February 11, 2013, 06:49:47 pm »
Top Ten Bands in Hell (IOW Worst Bands Ever) In No Particular Order

U2
Rush
Boston
Journey
Metallica
VanHagar
Dave Matthews
Kansas
Nickleback
Creed

Have fun!

(this is in addition to the absolute all time #1 GnR)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 06:56:36 pm by RatBastard »
FUKIT