Author Topic: Since the gun ban has been reversed...  (Read 125624 times)

hutch

Re: Since the gun ban has been reversed...
« Reply #315 on: December 17, 2012, 05:59:36 pm »
Originally posted by Erinaceous Sonickus:
  i'm just surprised that a pro-gunner is even computer literate enough to converse in one of these here high tech chat rooms!
Actually, pro-gunners tend to be frightened, insecure people, which is why you find so many of them on the internet, where they feel anonymous.  It must be a sad feeling to feel unsafe without a gun.

I think of the typical urban/suburban pro-gunner as a Bernard Goetz type, a pencil-neck geek carrying around a lifetime of supressed rage, who reacted to a mugging on the NYC subway by opening fire and emptying his gun into his would-be attackers on a fully loaded subway while they were sitting down, risking the lives of innocents.  He approached one of them, already lying down and wounded, and said "You don't look too bad; here's another," before shooting him again.  In short, Goetz was trying to kill solely to fulfill his own macho fantasies built on extreme lack of self-esteem.

The one person I've ever known to own an assault rifle was a guy filled with anger at the world who still lived with his mom despite being 35.  I was sure we'd someday read about him going berzerk at someone's school.

Anyone who actually pays attention to gun crime in the District, rather than cowering in their bedroom in fear of fictional home invasions, knows that the overwhelming majority of gun crimes here are related to the drug trade.  If you are not involved in the drug trade, your biggest risk of getting shot is a stray bullet -- a risk that adding Bernard Goetz types to the mix will only increase.   We're all better off if such people stay at home with their moms in their gated communities, cradling their weapons in fear.

Bump for accurate prediction.
Although I wish it stayed on Zombies.

going back to the original comment I think that there are a ton of shootings in US cities that are unrelated to drug trade. I think that people try and make themselves feel more secure by saying it is drug crimes and the police put crimes they can't solve into that bucket so they get less anquish from the public.

if drugs trade was the reason for the shooting than legalize drugs and problem solved.  But that isn't true at all. 

I feel safer when people do not have guns.  Maybe some people feel safer with guns.  I am a big guy 6'2 220lbs so maybe I don't see it from the small guys view.  I am certainly never scared of an unarmed person in any situation. Maybe a small guy feels like he is in danger all the time.  I doubt any small guys will come forward and tell things from their point of view though. 

Well, I'm 5'11'' at 185, so smaller than you, and completely agree with you. In addition, I always have 'feets don't fail me now' and I'm not afraid to use 'em!

I was robbed in high school a few blocks from ye olde 9:30 club one night by a guy with a sawed off shotgun pointed at my temple. I've always felt safer in the majority of clubs I frequent than outside.

The undeniable fact is innocent people always get killed in any form of mutually assured destruction schemes.

always amuses me how most people have no idea how dangerous the new 930 Club's hood used to be...

back when it first opened I lived in Adams Morgan and when you got to the stretch between 14th and 9th on U St you walked fast once you got past Republic Gardens...

One time a  guy walked past me right around Ben's and opened his coat to flash me a gun. I kept walking.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #316 on: February 12, 2013, 01:13:03 pm »
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_ODD_ZOMBIE_BROADCAST?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2013-02-11-19-46-16

GREAT FALLS, Mont. (AP) -- A Montana television station's regular programming was interrupted by news of a zombie apocalypse.

The Montana Television Network says hackers broke into the Emergency Alert System of Great Falls affiliate KRTV and its CW station Monday.

KRTV says on its website the hackers broadcast that "dead bodies are rising from their graves" in several Montana counties.

The alert claimed the bodies were "attacking the living" and warned people not to "approach or apprehend these bodies as they are extremely dangerous."

The network says there is no emergency and its engineers are investigating.

A call to KRTV was referred to a Montana Television Network executive in Bozeman. Jon Saunders didn't immediately return a call for comment.

The Great Falls Tribune reports the hoax alert generated at least four calls to police to see if it was true.

© 2013 THE ASSOCIATED PRESS. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED. Learn more about our PRIVACY POLICY and TERMS OF USE.
(o|o)

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #317 on: February 15, 2013, 04:16:02 pm »
Has anyone else read the Passage?

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6690798-the-passage

Somehow I tore through 750+ pages on my iPhone in a few days.  Nominally a "vampire" book, but reads more like zombies.
(o|o)

nkotb

« Reply #318 on: February 19, 2013, 10:42:11 am »
Pretty killer ending to Sunday's show.  Was getting a bit worried they weren't making the Governor a bad enough dude...but that eased my concerns :)

Relaxer

« Reply #319 on: February 19, 2013, 12:28:26 pm »
Poor Carol is probably thinking "Jesus Christ, I am never gonna get laid."
oword

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #320 on: February 19, 2013, 04:15:21 pm »
I'm very excited for the ultimate battle for the jail, can't wait to see how they kill the baby!
(o|o)

Relaxer

« Reply #321 on: March 04, 2013, 10:42:54 am »
Show is so much stronger when its focused and tight like last night's show. Morgan's speech went on too long, plus they could have showed rather than told, but it was still pretty gripping. The whole backpacker part, especially that last scene, was stone cold.
oword

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #322 on: March 06, 2013, 07:51:56 am »
Show is so much stronger when its focused and tight like last night's show. Morgan's speech went on too long, plus they could have showed rather than told, but it was still pretty gripping. The whole backpacker part, especially that last scene, was stone cold.

that was the best episode in a little while -- backpacker part was my favorite, it's a man-eat-man world!
(o|o)

Relaxer

« Reply #323 on: March 06, 2013, 09:25:03 am »
If they would have shown Morgans backstory, rather than told it via dramatic blubbering, it would have been 10x more powerful.
oword

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #324 on: March 06, 2013, 01:35:25 pm »
If they would have shown Morgans backstory, rather than told it via dramatic blubbering, it would have been 10x more powerful.

sounds expensive.
(o|o)

Relaxer

« Reply #325 on: March 06, 2013, 05:10:47 pm »
all they need is a basement, staircase and a kid to kill horribly
oword

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #326 on: March 13, 2013, 11:40:56 pm »
SPOILER ALERT issue 108

Is the Kingdom actually Eastern High School?  That'd be cool.
(o|o)

vansmack

« Reply #327 on: September 19, 2013, 03:42:49 pm »
Ever wanted to see what the MOOC's (Major Open Online Courses) were all about?

https://www.canvas.net/courses/the-walking-dead
27>34

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #328 on: September 19, 2013, 10:06:42 pm »
Negan may be my favorite Walking Dead character OF ALL TIME, I love him.
(o|o)