Author Topic: The Video Game Thread  (Read 26061 times)

vansmack

Re: The Video Game Thread
« Reply #75 on: July 14, 2008, 02:37:00 pm »
Originally posted by miss pretentious:
  ANNNNNNNND
Sorry.  I reported on that in the Smackie thread where we had been talking about that last week.
27>34

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #76 on: July 15, 2008, 01:19:00 pm »
Just followed the live blogging of the Nintendo E3 presentation...

Highlights are the new 1:1 response Wiimote addon, think light saber swing.
 A GTA title for the DS
 Wii Sports Resort including a Frisbee game to play with a on screen dog
 And Wii Music which will include a drum module that uses the Wiimote, Nunchuck and Wii fit board for drum pedals.  Sounds kinda cool actually and it's not a strict rhythm game like Rock Band.

it's also interesting to note that DS sales are now almost 50/50 ratio of male to female recipients
T.Rex

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #77 on: July 15, 2008, 01:25:00 pm »
but sadly no pikimen annoucement   :(
T.Rex

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #78 on: July 15, 2008, 03:51:00 pm »
class stuff here... nintendo makes a bunch of announcements of titles that will appeal to those new casual gamers who are driving the sales of the wii and all the hardcore nintendo fanboys are having a snit fit.  where's the zelda, mario, etc  they have abandon us in favor of those retched casual gamers.  you know those casual games who are perfectly happy only playing wii sports and not buying any other sw...
T.Rex

vansmack

« Reply #79 on: July 15, 2008, 04:10:00 pm »
In defense fo those non-casual gamers, E3 is not the place to make announcements for the non-hardcore types.  

You can do those announcements anytime (like, right before Xmas?), but E3 has evolved into a hardcore gamers conference.

It must have been painful for those folks to sit through MS exclusive announcements yesterday and then be told today that you're not in our plans.
27>34

walkonby

« Reply #80 on: July 15, 2008, 04:11:00 pm »
Originally posted by kosmo:
  class stuff here... nintendo makes a bunch of announcements of titles that will appeal to those new casual gamers who are driving the sales of the wii and all the hardcore nintendo fanboys are having a snit fit.  where's the zelda, mario, etc  they have abandon us in favor of those retched casual gamers.  you know those casual games who are perfectly happy only playing wii sports and not buying any other sw...
i can't wait until nintendo releases a wii whore expansion kit that i can stick my weiner in.  just casual sex, nothing serious.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #81 on: July 15, 2008, 04:17:00 pm »
here's what i learned by following the sony E3 presentation...

the ps3 is a product with a ten year life cycle
 only now are the games going to show up

2008 is apparently the year of the ps3, but by my count very few actual products were announced for this year.  resistance 2 and DC Universe Online
 lots of developers are still really excited about the ps3

forth coming stuff presented via the way of trailers  God of War III (spring 2009) and some sort of massive online battle  based on SOCOM with up to 256 playing at once.

new 80GB ps3 in september for the same price as the current 40GB version with no ps2 compatibility.

oh and sony wants to be apple with the online content rental and purchase. and some sort of exclusive automobile video content.  you know the whole we are so ready to be the next dominate set top box...

a couple of products still not here LittleBigPlanet and Home.  and they have taken a page from Nintendo's book and added weather and news info presented on a globe as a service on the  PS3.
T.Rex

walkonby

« Reply #82 on: July 15, 2008, 04:20:00 pm »
i am so tired of games that offer build your own levels.  if i wanted to be a game programmer, i would have gone to school for it.  i went to school to be a consumer of products that mindlessly entertain me.

nkotb

« Reply #83 on: July 15, 2008, 04:21:00 pm »
What about the original Excite Bike? It was boss as shit that you could build your own courses!

Originally posted by walkonby:
  i am so tired of games that offer build your own levels.  if i wanted to be a game programmer, i would have gone to school for it.  i went to school to be a consumer of products that mindlessly entertain me.

walkonby

« Reply #84 on: July 15, 2008, 04:26:00 pm »
Originally posted by nkotb:
  What about the original Excite Bike? It was boss as shit that you could build your own courses!

[/b]
oh no you shizznitzzit!  i used to worship that game.  damn your good looks and insight.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #85 on: July 15, 2008, 04:27:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:
  In defense fo those non-casual gamers, E3 is not the place to make announcements for the non-hardcore types.  

You can do those announcements anytime (like, right before Xmas?), but E3 has evolved into a hardcore gamers conference.

It must have been painful for those folks to sit through MS exclusive announcements yesterday and then be told today that you're not in our plans.
ok i admit in not being familiar with what the E3 conference is all about... but given that it's widely known that lots of wii buyers are sticking to only playing wii sports a whole of bunch of retailers went CHA-CHING with the announcement.

plus given nintendo's record with delayed game releases, i'll bet they rather not announce something until it's ready to be unleashed on the masses and not create disappointment.  but hopefully someone is busying themselves with zelda..
T.Rex

vansmack

« Reply #86 on: July 15, 2008, 04:38:00 pm »
Originally posted by Venerable Bede:
  TRACKS: The Best of The Who Rock Band Edition?
 ??Amazing Journey?
 ??Baba O'Riley?
 ??Behind Blue Eyes?
 ??Eminence Front?
 ??Going Mobile?
 ??Leaving Here?
 ??My Generation? (LIVE)
 ??Real Good Looking Boy?
 ??Sea & Sand?
 ??Summertime Blues? (LIVE)
 ??Who Are You?
 ??Young Man Blues? (LIVE)

Before Quickie 'n the Bushes experiences one of those epic Simon and Garfunkle type break up's tonight, I thought I'd open it up to the group to pick which Who song we play first tonight.  Venerable has been unabashadly lobbying for "Eminence Front" all week, which I happen to think is one of the more retarded Who songs out there (cleary a Townsend solo song - might as well have been the B-side to Let My Love Open the Door).

I don't think we can open with Baba O'Reilly, so I'm thinking the live version of My Generation, slow it down with Behind Blue Eyes, then Who are You before we tear into Baba O'Reilly.

And just maybe if we still have time we play Eminence Front for anybody who's not already in the parking lot - you know those 70's holdovers...

Thoughts?
27>34

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #87 on: July 15, 2008, 04:57:00 pm »

Originally posted by kosmo:
i can't wait until nintendo releases a wii whore expansion kit that i can stick my weiner in.  just casual sex, nothing serious. [/b]
actually i think this would help loosen up some of those pent up gamers and they wont care when the new zelda gets released...
T.Rex

Venerable Bede

« Reply #88 on: July 15, 2008, 05:18:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:

Originally posted by Venerable Bede:
  TRACKS: The Best of The Who Rock Band Edition?
 ??Amazing Journey?
 ??Baba O'Riley?
 ??Behind Blue Eyes?
 ??Eminence Front?
 ??Going Mobile?
 ??Leaving Here?
 ??My Generation? (LIVE)
 ??Real Good Looking Boy?
 ??Sea & Sand?
 ??Summertime Blues? (LIVE)
 ??Who Are You?
 ??Young Man Blues? (LIVE)

Before Quickie 'n the Bushes experiences one of those epic Simon and Garfunkle type break up's tonight, I thought I'd open it up to the group to pick which Who song we play first tonight.  Venerable has been unabashadly lobbying for "Eminence Front" all week, which I happen to think is one of the more retarded Who songs out there (cleary a Townsend solo song - might as well have been the B-side to Let My Love Open the Door).

I don't think we can open with Baba O'Reilly, so I'm thinking the live version of My Generation, slow it down with Behind Blue Eyes, then Who are You before we tear into Baba O'Reilly.

And just maybe if we still have time we play Eminence Front for anybody who's not already in the parking lot - you know those 70's holdovers...

Thoughts? [/b]
come on. . course eminence front is wicked 'tarded. . .but. . .it's so 80s.  i can see crockett walking on the beach with the girl in the distance waiting for him under a setting miami sun.  the camera cuts to tubbs in an apartment looking forlorn when a girl comes behind him and hands him a michelob before sitting on his lap.
OU812

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #89 on: July 15, 2008, 06:08:00 pm »
part of what i find ironic is that the "hardcore" Nintendo gamers who were once seen as casual gamers are now miffed an even more casual set of gamers is getting the attention.  we've all grown up and acting like ps2 and xbox fanboys...

and the sony bs detector really goes off when they declare 2008 as the year of the ps3 and then announce the release of 130 new titles for the ps2...
T.Rex