Author Topic: Gastronomical Banter  (Read 457927 times)

K8teebug

Re: Gastronomical Banter
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2013, 09:07:27 am »
I love that little wine bar, Vinoteca.  They have a great happy hour and really good food.

imbecile

« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2013, 10:29:21 am »
I have yet to go to Le Diplomate, but have read many wondrous things about it.  Anybody been?

I'm so tired of the 14th street scene and getting pretty darn close to tired of the H Street scene.

Is there any vetting process done for the restaurants that pop up on these streets or are they critically acclaimed just because they're there? I've had more shitty food on those strips in DC than anywhere else and all anyone does it talk them up... Bunch of over priced crap IMO.

Does H street even have a restaurant scene?  I've lived here for several years and eaten at just about every place on H street.  The only places I'd recommend to people are Ethiopic and Atlas Room.  There are a few other serviceable places, but nothing worth travelling over here for.

A three to four hour wait for a restaurant like Toki on a Friday night = a scene to me.

Ohhh yeah, forgot about that place.  It has created a bit of a scene, granted.  Went once when it opened and have never been back because it's always a zoo.

I ate at Vendetta a few weeks ago and not exaggerating one bit, it was the worst meal I've had in DC. The burnt my gnocci... it was literally charred, how does that happen?

Ha, I've had a similar experience there; truely baffeling.  La Grenier was heavily hyped as well and dissapoitnted with novice mistakes lately as well.  I think I agree with you for the most part, there is lots of hype in the press everytime a new place opens.  Seems whoever wants H street to progress faster than it is and be seen as a real destination with a plethora of fine dining options, so there are contstantly new places opening and a flood of good press to follow.   

As a homeowner here, I wish these places were all great for obvious reasons (property value, ha).  But the fact remains, there's good neighborhood food here, but actual fine dining options or really good restaurants are very limited and it's a disservice to advertise the area as such at this point in time.

Oh well.  Has anyone tried Mitsitam cafe in the Museum of the American Indian?  I've been meaning to for the longest time, but it's elluded me.  Have always read good things, but never met anyone who's been.

brennser

« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2013, 10:32:37 am »
Oh well.  Has anyone tried Mitsitam cafe in the Museum of the American Indian?  I've been meaning to for the longest time, but it's elluded me.  Have always read good things, but never met anyone who's been.

Its very good but i think its hella expensive for "cafeteria food"

stevewizzle

« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2013, 06:15:36 pm »
I could not imagine waiting that long for a restaurant. 

Especially when its 2 blocks from Granville Moore!

pro-tip. toki does takeout.

they also do reservations, me thinks.

granville moore usually has a wait, too.

yeah we get toki takeout every other week or so -- they do a really good job with their to-go packaging (separating broth from noodles & fixins)

and yes, H Street has a restaurant scene.

favorites: atlas rooom, toki, ethiopic, granville moore's
with the kids: argonaut, h & pizza, taylor

Union Market is amazing.  That is all.

i was impressed, as well.  i'm somewhat obsessed with dumplings, and they do fantastic takeout for them.

i'm very impressed with h & pizza. given the lines, a lot of others are too.

and yeah.  union market rules. not h st, though.

stevewizzle

« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2013, 06:18:23 pm »
i've got another month left living in DC. what's everyones cant-miss joints?  not trying to kill my wallet, so think of little serow ($45 prefix) as my upper limit.

killsaly

« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2013, 06:24:06 pm »

Its very good but i think its hella expensive for "cafeteria food"
I work across the street and have been meaning to check it out for the last two years... How expensive is expensive? (I tend to stick to the local deli or food trucks or brown bag it).

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2013, 01:04:03 pm »
i've got another month left living in DC. what's everyones cant-miss joints?  not trying to kill my wallet, so think of little serow ($45 prefix) as my upper limit.

Just off the top of my head -

Get a Chivito if you haven't had one, from Take Eat Easy.  I think Fast Gourmet still serves it too.
Go to Ben's Chili Bowl one last time.
Try the shank at Pig.  Make sure you get the spoonbread.  Must have the spoonbread.  As a bonus, head across the street and finish your night at ChurchKey.
Po Boys at Bayou are worth the trip.

Hmmm.  That's all I can think of for now.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2013, 01:04:42 pm »

stevewizzle

« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2013, 01:40:25 pm »

Just off the top of my head -

Get a Chivito if you haven't had one, from Take Eat Easy.  I think Fast Gourmet still serves it too.
Go to Ben's Chili Bowl one last time.
Try the shank at Pig.  Make sure you get the spoonbread.  Must have the spoonbread.  As a bonus, head across the street and finish your night at ChurchKey.
Po Boys at Bayou are worth the trip.

Hmmm.  That's all I can think of for now.

great ideas.  i've had the FG chivito, delicious, but pricey.  the cubano there is the real winner, IMO.

bayou in foggy bottom or bayou bakery in arlington? i recently found bayou bakery in arlington, and fuck me is that place great.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2013, 01:43:29 pm »
Oh - never been to arlington.  I was talking Foggy Bottom.

BrettnotBritt

« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2013, 01:53:37 pm »

Go to the bar at Corduroy and get the $30 prix-fixe menu.

killsaly

« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2013, 01:53:44 pm »
Are they, "real" Po boys? Pressed or the fried style? (I ask as someone who spent most of the first 19 years of his life as a Louisiana native (and who still goes back once a year, and can be very critical of Cajun food from so far from the boot).

K8teebug

« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2013, 02:01:58 pm »
Eating a po boy outside of New Orleans is like eating a crab cake outside of Maryland.

Bagley

« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2013, 02:14:25 pm »
Sliced pork and collards at Kenny's BBQ -Maryland Ave NE (formerly of Mount Pleasant,DC and Alexandria, Va)

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2013, 02:25:52 pm »
Sliced pork and collards at Kenny's BBQ -Maryland Ave NE (formerly of Mount Pleasant,DC and Alexandria, Va)

I live a couple of blocks from Kenny's and really don't like it, especially the collards.
(o|o)