Author Topic: Gastronomical Banter  (Read 467104 times)

Yada

Re: Gastronomical Banter
« Reply #210 on: September 26, 2013, 11:39:59 am »
i have not eaten food for two days.  just because.  it hurts.  dont do it.  but i feel alive.  but i always feel alive.  sometimes i do weird things.

Sounds like a terrible idea. I've been eating too much this week, but I run daily.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #211 on: September 26, 2013, 11:41:42 am »
it is.  anger induced.  laziness accomplished.  it is amazing how your body makes you feel for not eating two whole days.  ooh, what a rebel.  there are people starving to death everyday . . . but im about to have convulsions over here after only two days. 

K8teebug

« Reply #212 on: October 02, 2013, 09:43:08 am »
Went to Toki Underground last night and enjoyed it.  Had the cold tofu, seafood dumplings, pork dumplings, and vegetarian ramen.  Can't wait to finish my ramen for lunch today!  Bonus was their kick ass music.  First time I've ever heard the Wrens at a restaurant.

atomic

« Reply #213 on: October 02, 2013, 09:55:20 am »
Doesn't anyone go to restaurants in Baltimore? 

K8teebug

« Reply #214 on: October 02, 2013, 10:13:27 am »
I used to all the time, but these days I tend to stick to Howard County and sometimes DC.  My favorites in Baltimore are Koco's and Pappas for crabcakes (but I'm favoring Pappas these days), Hamilton Tavern for burgers, and I loved the pasta at Chingale.  I used to go to Pazo all the time, but haven't been there in a number of years.  Also really like the tapas at Adela.  Been meaning to go to Peter's Inn for a while now, but have never really gotten there.

Stand out meal lately has been at Food Market in Hampden.  And I keep waiting for Paulie Gee's pizza to open, but their ovens were damaged in transit this summer.  I continue to stalk their facebook page.

atomic

« Reply #215 on: October 02, 2013, 10:45:53 am »
I used to all the time, but these days I tend to stick to Howard County and sometimes DC.  My favorites in Baltimore are Koco's and Pappas for crabcakes (but I'm favoring Pappas these days), Hamilton Tavern for burgers, and I loved the pasta at Chingale.  I used to go to Pazo all the time, but haven't been there in a number of years.  Also really like the tapas at Adela.  Been meaning to go to Peter's Inn for a while now, but have never really gotten there.

Stand out meal lately has been at Food Market in Hampden.  And I keep waiting for Paulie Gee's pizza to open, but their ovens were damaged in transit this summer.  I continue to stalk their facebook page.

The food in Howard County is really awful.  Other than Indian I don't know that I have ever had a good meal there.

I have only been to Pappas once and it was after the kitchen was closed but I did hug the entire kitchen staff. It was in my hugging phase. 

K8teebug

« Reply #216 on: October 02, 2013, 11:16:00 am »
You haven't been to the right places.  Sushi Sono rivals the best of sushi restaurants. Alot of people also love sushi king, but sono is my favorite.   Judge's Bench has some of the best wings I've ever eaten (my friend liked them better than Anchor Bar).  Frisco has a great tofu burrito when you're in the mood for tex mex.  Victoria has a terrific (if messy) burger, poutine, and brunch menu.  Plus there's Canopy pit beef, little taco stands in laurel, ellicott city, and columbia which rule. 

K8teebug

« Reply #217 on: October 02, 2013, 11:16:55 am »
and for indian, mango grove.  I've heard good things about this other place over by Wegmans, but haven't been there yet.

Oh, and the sandwiches at Bon Fresco.  On freshly made bread. 

K8teebug

« Reply #218 on: October 02, 2013, 11:19:31 am »
And venarri's pizza and that other pizza place over by harris teeter on guilford (the name escapes me).  AT first when I moved here, I thought there was no place to eat, but there is some really fabulous food here!

bearman🐻

« Reply #219 on: October 02, 2013, 11:35:33 am »
You haven't been to the right places.  Sushi Sono rivals the best of sushi restaurants. Alot of people also love sushi king, but sono is my favorite.   Judge's Bench has some of the best wings I've ever eaten (my friend liked them better than Anchor Bar).  Frisco has a great tofu burrito when you're in the mood for tex mex.  Victoria has a terrific (if messy) burger, poutine, and brunch menu.  Plus there's Canopy pit beef, little taco stands in laurel, ellicott city, and columbia which rule. 

Agreed on Sushi Sono. Been years since I've been, but it's awesome.

stevewizzle

« Reply #220 on: October 02, 2013, 06:41:26 pm »
Went to Toki Underground last night and enjoyed it.  Had the cold tofu, seafood dumplings, pork dumplings, and vegetarian ramen.  Can't wait to finish my ramen for lunch today!  Bonus was their kick ass music.  First time I've ever heard the Wrens at a restaurant.

supposedly currated by geographer (or geologist? i forget) from animal collective

stevewizzle

« Reply #221 on: October 02, 2013, 06:47:00 pm »
i'll be hitting up little serow friday.

Looking forward to reading your impression!  I just read that Doi Moi gives it a run for its money...

a little late on this.

this was, hands down, the best meal i've had in DC. seven courses, all pre-fix, all presented homestyle, varying from sweet to sour to extremely spicey.  the steep $45 pre-fix meal was met with relatively cheap prices for wine and beer ($6 craft beers), the service was on point, the ambiance was great, and it was just overall a very unique experience.  the whiskey pork ribs and the sour fruit/dried shrimp dished were out of this world.  i left the restaurant ecstatic and so incredibly full. 

we had a group of four, one of my friends waited for an hour from 5pm-6pm to put our name in.  the earliest time-slot we could get in was 10pm! it was worth the wait, but i recommend having a party of 2 or less, as they can accommodate smaller groups much easier.

bearman🐻

« Reply #222 on: October 03, 2013, 09:37:10 am »

Looking forward to reading your impression!  I just read that Doi Moi gives it a run for its money...

a little late on this.

this was, hands down, the best meal i've had in DC. seven courses, all pre-fix, all presented homestyle, varying from sweet to sour to extremely spicey.  the steep $45 pre-fix meal was met with relatively cheap prices for wine and beer ($6 craft beers), the service was on point, the ambiance was great, and it was just overall a very unique experience.  the whiskey pork ribs and the sour fruit/dried shrimp dished were out of this world.  i left the restaurant ecstatic and so incredibly full. 

we had a group of four, one of my friends waited for an hour from 5pm-6pm to put our name in.  the earliest time-slot we could get in was 10pm! it was worth the wait, but i recommend having a party of 2 or less, as they can accommodate smaller groups much easier.

I've been here twice and really, really enjoyed my meals here too. The second time I went I thought it was even better. Here's a little secret...they'll let you buy an extra portion of whiskey ribs to go for like $12 I think (suject to availability). The next night I took the ribs off the bone and made a bahn mi at home with cucumber, daikon radish, cilantro, shredded carrot, chiles, napa cabbage slaw and a dressing I made with lots of stuff like ginger, honey, lime, etc. It was insanely good.

Yada

« Reply #223 on: October 03, 2013, 10:09:14 am »

a little late on this.

I've been here twice and really, really enjoyed my meals here too. The second time I went I thought it was even better. Here's a little secret...they'll let you buy an extra portion of whiskey ribs to go for like $12 I think (suject to availability). The next night I took the ribs off the bone and made a bahn mi at home with cucumber, daikon radish, cilantro, shredded carrot, chiles, napa cabbage slaw and a dressing I made with lots of stuff like ginger, honey, lime, etc. It was insanely good.

my mouth is watering.

« Reply #224 on: October 03, 2013, 10:12:09 am »
Here's a little secret...they'll let you buy an extra portion of whiskey ribs to go for like $12 I think (suject to availability). The next night I took the ribs off the bone and made a bahn mi at home with cucumber, daikon radish, cilantro, shredded carrot, chiles, napa cabbage slaw and a dressing I made with lots of stuff like ginger, honey, lime, etc. It was insanely good.
umm...I'll take one of those if your taking orders, sounds awesome :o
slack