Author Topic: Is there a good store in the area to buy baby stuff  (Read 25711 times)

James Ford

Re: Is there a good store in the area to buy baby stuff
« Reply #75 on: March 06, 2014, 09:09:42 am »
If that's your way of saying you recognize that most people fall somewhere in the middle on the Kinsey Scale and you'd like to explore that fact, then bravo for you! Be responsible, be honest, and be safe. I won't tell you specifically what to do, but I think you'll figure it out.

Back to your original question. You live in BALTIMORE. Do you think that asking about baby stores on a DC ROCK club message board populated by a bunch of dudes is going to get you the best answer? For christ sake, this is a rock club message board. If you're looking to score blow, the rockers who populate this board  might have the answers to your question. If you're looking to score baby supplies, why not ask LOCAL Baltimore friends and family? Or use the google and then read YELP reviews? Or ask on a parenting message board?

people are so silly.... since time began every generation thinks its got the parenting answers...

If James.Ford were gay he would be on here blasting us for not giving guys blow jobs.  He can only see things from his viewpoint.  Or should I say his wifes viewpoint.

« Reply #76 on: March 06, 2014, 09:47:56 am »
James reminds me so much of Sarah Palin in the way he presents the world as black or white and there are no other options.
+1
slack

atomic

« Reply #77 on: March 06, 2014, 10:28:19 am »
If that's your way of saying you recognize that most people fall somewhere in the middle on the Kinsey Scale and you'd like to explore that fact, then bravo for you! Be responsible, be honest, and be safe. I won't tell you specifically what to do, but I think you'll figure it out.

Back to your original question. You live in BALTIMORE. Do you think that asking about baby stores on a DC ROCK club message board populated by a bunch of dudes is going to get you the best answer? For christ sake, this is a rock club message board. If you're looking to score blow, the rockers who populate this board  might have the answers to your question. If you're looking to score baby supplies, why not ask LOCAL Baltimore friends and family? Or use the google and then read YELP reviews? Or ask on a parenting message board?

people are so silly.... since time began every generation thinks its got the parenting answers...

If James.Ford were gay he would be on here blasting us for not giving guys blow jobs.  He can only see things from his viewpoint.  Or should I say his wifes viewpoint.

I thought there might be stores in DC that people knew you jack-azz. The towns are only 40 miles apart.  I can be there quicker than your morning commute.   There are a ton of people with babies on here.  Just because you get your baby clothes second hand doesn't mean anyone else is doing the same. I doubt many people on here are doing blow.  If you don't know don't reply. Just like I don't post on the whiskey thread.

James Ford

« Reply #78 on: March 06, 2014, 10:37:58 am »
If anyone is still interested in the attachment parenting discussion, I thought this was a pretty good blog post.

http://tinyurl.com/n43mmtl

James Ford

« Reply #79 on: March 06, 2014, 10:41:56 am »
Did you find any businesses of interest in the Baltimore area that didn't have DC locations? Ther is a Buy Buy Baby less than 10 minutes from my house. If you don't find anything in the Baltimore area close tou your house, maybe you could go to BBB and then stop by my place for a beer afterward.

I thought there might be stores in DC that people knew you jack-azz. The towns are only 40 miles apart.  I can be there quicker than your morning commute.   There are a ton of people with babies on here.  Just because you get your baby clothes second hand doesn't mean anyone else is doing the same. I doubt many people on here are doing blow.  If you don't know don't reply. Just like I don't post on the whiskey thread.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 10:46:26 am by James Ford »

Relaxer

« Reply #80 on: March 07, 2014, 05:11:52 pm »
Okay I read that article by the "design consultant" i.e. stay-at-home mom.

Babies have, indeed, become a sort of enemy to be vanquished by the mother. Crying must be ignored so as to show the baby who is boss, and a basic premise in the relationship is that every effort should be made to force the baby to conform to the mother?s wishes.

for millions of years newborn babies have been held close to their mothers from the moment of birth and that just because in recent history we?ve taken this to be optional (or inconvenient)

The violent tearing apart of the mother-child continuum, so strongly established during the phases that took place in the womb may understandably result in depression for the mother, as well as agony for the infant.

It seems to me that attachment parents always feel it necessary to demonize those who don't subscribe to their views. Rather than teaching children to live and grow independently *and* with their parents, we're violently tearing apart the mother-child continuum. And attachment parents are always doing the attaching for honorable, noble reasons and never because they are privileged stay-at-home moms smothering their children in an urge to be needed, necessary and important.

I acknowledge that attachment parents are defensive because they take so much abuse, but I don't sympathize with them any more than I sympathize with people who run up their credit cards and then complain they're drowning in debt, to use one outta-left-field analogy.
oword

atomic

« Reply #81 on: March 07, 2014, 06:55:09 pm »

Babies have, indeed, become a sort of enemy to be vanquished by the mother. Crying must be ignored so as to show the baby who is boss, and a basic premise in the relationship is that every effort should be made to force the baby to conform to the mother?s wishes.

for millions of years newborn babies have been held close to their mothers from the moment of birth and that just because in recent history we?ve taken this to be optional (or inconvenient)

The violent tearing apart of the mother-child continuum, so strongly established during the phases that took place in the womb may understandably result in depression for the mother, as well as agony for the infant.

It seems to me that attachment parents always feel it necessary to demonize those who don't subscribe to their views. Rather than teaching children to live and grow independently *and* with their parents, we're violently tearing apart the mother-child continuum. And attachment parents are always doing the attaching for honorable, noble reasons and never because they are privileged stay-at-home moms smothering their children in an urge to be needed, necessary and important.

I acknowledge that attachment parents are defensive because they take so much abuse, but I don't sympathize with them any more than I sympathize with people who run up their credit cards and then complain they're drowning in debt, to use one outta-left-field analogy.

I think day care is probably better for the kid once they are a couple of years old.  More socialization is good.  You need to be able to be independent and get along with others to succeed in life. 

I know people who have raised their kids in the James Ford style and how I have to hear over and over again how superior their kids are and then low and behold the kids decide they don't even want to go to college.   And they have no social skills and don't even have girlfriends/boyfriends in their mid 20's and no prospects and they are happy to live with their parents forever.   

« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 07:00:01 pm by atomic »

James Ford

« Reply #82 on: March 07, 2014, 08:26:40 pm »
Actually, that particular "stay at home mom" made $35K/year for six years as a part time design consultant from home, while taking care of a child.

I agree that some attachment parent folks can be zealots (and if you look around you will see that there are people who are against attachment parenting with as much zeal and vigor) but please tell me where that occurred in that particular essay. (?) It seems that she goes out of her way to try to be diplomatic, even if it's obvious where her heart lies.

I also agree that a sense of independence in children should be fostered.  But at what age? What about when the child is a six month old baby? What is the benefit of day care at that point for the baby? Kids don't really start to play with each other until they are age three or so. I think preschool for a few hours a day is great for the 2-4 age for socialization purposes, but don't you think that 8+ hours a week five days a week might be a bit draining for the kid? How does being taken care of by an unrelated woman being paid $10 an hour (as caring as they may very well be) make a kid more independent than being taken care of by mom? Why does a two year old "need" to be independent from his parents for 40+ hours a week (and likely actually with them for significantly less than 40 waking hours a week?)

And since when is staying at home for a woman (or man)) a privilege? In my parents parenting years, that was the norm. And my dad was a blue collar guy working at a paper mill, not some rich lawyer or mid-level gov't worker. My blue collar in-laws pulled it off too. I bet often times, it's not because the family is any more financially well off than the next person, it's because they're willing to go without $300 bottles of liquor or $150 meals out or $100 concert tickets or European vacations or $40K cars, or $800K houses in the city when a house in the boring suburbs is heaps cheaper.

Other than financial reasons, is there really any reason for one parent not to be home with a child until they are two or three? Please show me the studies that prove turning your three and under child over to full time daycare is beneficial to the child.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 08:55:10 pm by James Ford »

James Ford

« Reply #83 on: March 07, 2014, 08:35:28 pm »
Your comments are anecdotal opinion at best, I don't really see any science in your comments. But certainly you're entitled to your opnion.

I would agree that socialization in the 2-4 age range is necessary (before that there's not much meaningful socialization that occurs). That's why I put my kid in preschool for a few hour a day, a few days a week when she was in that age range. I think she's a natural introvert, and preschool helped bring her out of her shell quite a  bit. But 40+ hour a week daycare is too tough on a two year old, imo.

I think socialization after that is important as well. That's one reason that I prefer a public or private school education (as long as it's a good school) over homeschooling.

I think day care is probably better for the kid once they are a couple of years old.  More socialization is good.  You need to be able to be independent and get along with others to succeed in life. 

I know people who have raised their kids in the James Ford style and how I have to hear over and over again how superior their kids are and then low and behold the kids decide they don't even want to go to college.   And they have no social skills and don't even have girlfriends/boyfriends in their mid 20's and no prospects and they are happy to live with their parents forever.   

« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 08:37:42 pm by James Ford »

ggw

« Reply #84 on: March 08, 2014, 08:29:02 am »
Isn't that your wife's blog James?

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #85 on: March 08, 2014, 02:45:01 pm »

stevewizzle

« Reply #86 on: March 08, 2014, 04:38:58 pm »
parenting is a lot more like checkers than it is chess.  any of you who think different, i suggest you find a good therapist now so someone else can have the burden of answering the question: what did we do wrong?

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #87 on: March 10, 2014, 05:16:26 pm »

atomic

« Reply #88 on: March 17, 2014, 10:34:51 am »
I ended up purchasing crib + furniture from Great Beginnings in Gaithersburg. 

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?