Author Topic: Podcast recommendations  (Read 32986 times)

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
Re: Podcast recommendations
« Reply #75 on: March 31, 2017, 12:09:35 pm »
I don't think I've mentioned this in this thread before but I have come to love How Did This Get Made? I think much of the back catalogue is now behind a paywall but it cracks me up so much. Jason Manzukis, or whatever his name is, is in his perfect element ripping terrible films to shreds.

Do you need to have seen the bad movie in advance of each episode in order to get the most out of it?  I can't do a podcast that requires homework.
Its definitely better if you know the shitty film they're reviewing but I do not know the film most of the time and it's still hilarious. If look at the back catalog, there's lots of films you've no doubt seen which is a good way to dip your toes in the water.

Some favorite episodes (no idea which of are currently behind a paywall, they cycle free/pay episodes monthly): Teen Witch, Junior, Face/Off, Roadhouse, Kazaam.
LVMH

I Know Now Why You Cry

« Reply #76 on: March 31, 2017, 03:11:22 pm »
Bret Easton Ellis Podcast, the Cracked Podcast, Unpopular Opinion, the Talkhouse Music Podcast, The Needle Drop Podcast

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #77 on: March 31, 2017, 04:42:02 pm »
S-Town is amazing. Also really liked In The Dark.

Finished S-Town last night...listening again :)

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #78 on: August 06, 2018, 09:26:24 pm »
Now that Bagley is fully into the pidcast world, this thread will be exploding.

Celebration Rock Podcast
http://www.93x.com/category/celebration-rock/    has DC acts Bat Fangs and Flasher as sleeper records of 2018 so far, and some other non DC interesting recommends.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #79 on: August 20, 2019, 06:14:09 pm »
interesting read: Why Is Joe Rogan So Popular?

i occasionally put on an episode of JRE as background while doing other stuff, like cleaning.  can't say that i share the author's dire take on joe's toxic masculinity, and i don't agree that he's as right-wing as described in the article, but regardless... an interesting read.
<sig>

« Reply #80 on: August 20, 2019, 06:31:15 pm »
I share the author’s dire take on Joes toxic masculinity, and I agree he’s as right wing as described in the article.

Joe Rogan is the face of the men’s rights, neck beard movement. Fuck him.
LVMH

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #81 on: August 20, 2019, 07:19:15 pm »
I share the author’s dire take on Joes toxic masculinity, and I agree he’s as right wing as described in the article.

i somehow suspect that you are virtue-signaling here.  no way in hell you've ever listened to joe rogan ;D
<sig>

K8teebug

« Reply #82 on: August 21, 2019, 08:49:54 am »
Conan O'Brien needs a friend is pretty great.

« Reply #83 on: August 21, 2019, 08:56:58 am »

i somehow suspect that you are virtue-signaling here.  no way in hell you've ever listened to joe rogan ;D
I gotta imagine he's never listened to Frank Turner either...but he's the authority on all things he hasn't heard.  Very woke of him
slack

WALKonBack

« Reply #84 on: August 21, 2019, 09:42:24 pm »
Derek and Romaine 2.0

More of a 5 day a week live radio show, than podcast. Gay, to the highest level of fucking gay.

And if you don't like Joe . . . Get out.  Get out on the street, and get run over by a metro bus, or electric scooter; your choice.

« Reply #85 on: December 24, 2019, 12:15:02 pm »
my husband loves the Dead Authors podcast, but I personally can't get into it
I have been spotted recently in my car letting out gargantuan belly laughs whilst enjoying the Dead Authors Podcast
been off the air for a while (aired from 2011-2015)
I just can't get enough of their factually inaccurate improv with old timey English speak and bashing of the evil Jules Verne
slack

« Reply #86 on: February 20, 2022, 11:34:17 am »
Found a great new podcast
First off, great name:Bandsplain

What I already love so far is they mention a song....then they actually play it
Honestly, what drives me crazy about most music podcasts, is sometimes they might play a 5-second clip, but almost never a full song
well, the podcast is over 2 hour long 5 hours long, so there is that

They really do deep dives, starting from the early and all the early branches and pull lots of cool related snippets of the band in real time

This episode on Pavement is awesome
 (felt like being in the car with Hutch circa 96)

Didn't know Malkmus and David Berman went to UVA in the 80s and did a radio show there!?

Its amazing they put out a 1000 copies of a self-released ep: Slay Tracks and only mailed it to djs/record labels/record stores ...and within months it's mentioned in Spin and the Wedding present records Box Elder in England and John peel is playing it on air
There was a funny story about how they record it and SS is in charge of getting this ep out to the masses and Stephen is back-packing across Europe and he hears his record store in Germany, just a few months later

Frontwards get a nice showcase

Other shows that are qued up: Lemonheads, Wilco, GnR, Misfits, Pixes, Minutemen, Hold steady, Fishbone, NIN, Weezer

Editorial note, this is on the evil spoitify and if you listen to this you support everything that is evil in the world and probably should just kill your self after reading this
« Last Edit: February 20, 2022, 12:19:02 pm by bleisurehatch ıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

« Reply #87 on: February 20, 2022, 11:39:22 am »
LVMH

« Reply #88 on: August 31, 2023, 10:08:36 pm »
A History of Rock Music in 500 Songs
by Andrew Hickey is amazing

It is soo good.  I'm on song 29 and we just got to Maybellene! ( so really in depth)
what is fascinating is all the other things like switching from laquer to vinyl (and the invention of the LP) radio and jukeboxes only wanted vinyl and a whole era of performers pretty much disappeared
copyright laws
songwriting vs arranger vs performer
of course lots of racism, drug use and wife beating

of course rick rubin turned me on to this
slack