Author Topic: OSCAR TALK or Why Mad Max Is The Best Movie of the Year, Sidehatch  (Read 36406 times)

Space Freely

Re: OSCAR TALK or Why Mad Max Is The Best Movie of the Year, Sidehatch
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2016, 05:05:05 pm »
I am not into basketball, so I had to search for 2015 NBA All Star Game, and click on the roster.  Since I only knew a few names, I had to click all of them, to see if there were in fact, white dudes, playing, in the, NBA, All, Star, Game.  There were in fact, 4. 

http://www.nba.com/allstar/2015/players/

White dudes:
http://www.nba.com/playerfile/pau_gasol/index.html
http://www.nba.com/playerfile/kyle_korver/index.html
http://www.nba.com/playerfile/marc_gasol/index.html
http://www.nba.com/playerfile/dirk_nowitzki/index.html

It might be a small percentage, but at least they are more racially diverse than the Oscars.

Three of them are foreign born, fwiw.

How many NHL all-stars are people of color?

Julian, White Poet WARLORD

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2016, 05:10:29 pm »
Three of them are foreign born, fwiw.
How does that make them not white?

How many NHL all-stars are people of color?
Just PK Subban and Dustin Byfuglien although Seth Jones is an alternate, I think.

LVMH

killsaly

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2016, 05:12:21 pm »
Exactly, being "foreign" does not magically make them not white.

Space Freely

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2016, 05:14:17 pm »
Well, people of color will have to just try a little harder next year. There are many, many movies made and only a select few get nominated!

killsaly

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2016, 05:16:21 pm »
I bet. 

Relaxer

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2016, 05:51:51 pm »
The fact is, if you look at the last ten years of nominations for Best Actor and Actress, you see many white people coming up year after year.

Leo Di, Jeff Bridges, Daniel Day Lewis, Eddie Redmayne, Brad Cooper, Clooney, Brad Pitt, Christian Bale, Colin Firth, and Joaquin have all received at least 2 nominations, with four of them winning the Oscar.

In the same decade, Terrence Howard, Forest Whitaker, Will Smith, Morgan Freeman, and Chiwetel Ejiofor were the only black guys to get nominated, and each was only nominated once (Forest was also the only guy who won an Oscar during this time period).

For best actress, three or more noms have been given to Meryl Streep, Cate Blanchett, Kate Winslet, Jennifer Lawrence, and 2 noms to Reese, Sandra Bullock, Judi Dench, Michele Williams, with seven of these women winning the prizee since 2006.

In that same timeframe, only Gabourey Sidibe, Viola Davis, and Quvenzhané Wallis were nominated, once, and none of them won.
oword

Space Freely

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2016, 06:21:33 pm »
The fact is, if you look at the last ten years of nominations for Best Actor and Actress, you see many white people coming up year after year.

Leo Di, Jeff Bridges, Daniel Day Lewis, Eddie Redmayne, Brad Cooper, Clooney, Brad Pitt, Christian Bale, Colin Firth, and Joaquin have all received at least 2 nominations, with four of them winning the Oscar.

In the same decade, Terrence Howard, Forest Whitaker, Will Smith, Morgan Freeman, and Chiwetel Ejiofor were the only black guys to get nominated, and each was only nominated once (Forest was also the only guy who won an Oscar during this time period).

For best actress, three or more noms have been given to Meryl Streep, Cate Blanchett, Kate Winslet, Jennifer Lawrence, and 2 noms to Reese, Sandra Bullock, Judi Dench, Michele Williams, with seven of these women winning the prizee since 2006.

In that same timeframe, only Gabourey Sidibe, Viola Davis, and Quvenzhané Wallis were nominated, once, and none of them won.

So what is your point?

I'm going to guess that people of color fared much better with Grammy nominations. Maybe ever to the point of being overepresented.

walk,on,by

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2016, 06:24:09 pm »
This thread, was getting kind of boring. I'm glad, I could move it along.

LVMH

Space Freely

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2016, 11:07:05 am »
Great article about the inanity of the Oscars

This article is the very definition of inanity. Quality of a movie is 100% COMPLETELY SUBJECTIVE. THe idea that there is a best, second best, third best, or for that matter "shitty all on their own" movie is completely subjective. This person writes as if ranking movie quality is some kind of quantifiable science. What a fucking idiot.

Take a scroll through the history of Academy Award nominees and winners. The Academy routinely gives its highest award, Best Picture, not just to the second- or third-best movies on offer at the expense of better ones, or to safe movies at the expense of daring ones, or to white-friendly ones at the expense of ones less representative of Hollywood?s institutional racial homogeneity, but to actual bad movies?movies that are shitty all on their own, measured not just against their competition but against any reasonable ideas of what makes a movie good.

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2016, 11:19:58 am »
Great article about the inanity of the Oscars

This article is the very definition of inanity. Quality of a movie is 100% COMPLETELY SUBJECTIVE. THe idea that there is a best, second best, third best, or for that matter "shitty all on their own" movie is completely subjective. This person writes as if ranking movie quality is some kind of quantifiable science. What a fucking idiot.

Take a scroll through the history of Academy Award nominees and winners. The Academy routinely gives its highest award, Best Picture, not just to the second- or third-best movies on offer at the expense of better ones, or to safe movies at the expense of daring ones, or to white-friendly ones at the expense of ones less representative of Hollywood?s institutional racial homogeneity, but to actual bad movies?movies that are shitty all on their own, measured not just against their competition but against any reasonable ideas of what makes a movie good.
If anyone had any question about the merits of that link, Rhett disagrees with it vociferously which is about the highest compliment a posited argument can be given.
LVMH

K8teebug

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2016, 01:05:49 pm »
I'm surprised by all the attention given to Spotlight. It was good but its basically a fictionalized 60 Minutes piece expanded to 2 hours. I enjoy 'procedure' movies but this one just seems to be a standard issue movie.

I really liked Spotlight. I think it was because it felt like an expanded 60 mins piece. I also really like most of the movies that director has done (except for the adam sandler one).

vansmack

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2016, 03:26:13 pm »
Not all of these are for rent, some are purchase only.  And I apologize for knocking Mad Max - while I don't think it's Best Picture worthy, it FAR EXCEEDED my expectations and was entertained throughout.

17 Oscar-Nominated Movies You Can Stream Right Now

WITH MOVIES LIKE The Revenant and Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens still bringing in millions at the box office, and Quentin Tarantino?s 70mm roadshow version of The Hateful Eight continuing its trek across the country, you can?t yet watch all of this year?s Oscar-nominated movies from the comfort of your living room. (Unless you?re a gazillionaire with one of those crazy screening rooms, and you pay through the nose to watch theatrical-run movies.) But there are plenty you can see before the awards are handed out?including some of the year?s frontrunners.

Bridge of Spies
Amazon; Google Play; iTunes

Ex Machina

Fifty Shades of Grey
Amazon; Google Play; HBO Now; iTunes

Mad Max: Fury Road
Amazon; Google Play; HBO Now; iTunes

The Martian

Sicario

Spectre

Spotlight
Amazon/Google Play/iTunes/YouTube

Steve Jobs
Amazon; Google Play

Straight Outta Compton

Animated Films

Inside Out
Amazon; iTunes; YouTube

Shaun the Sheep

Documentaries

Amy
Amazon; Google Play; iTunes; YouTube

Cartel Land

The Look of Silence

What Happened, Miss Simone?
Netflix

Winter on Fire: Ukraine?s Fight for Freedom
Netflix

http://www.wired.com/2016/02/streaming-oscar-nominees/?mbid=social_fb
27>34

killsaly

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2016, 06:44:21 pm »
Fifty Shades should NOT be nominated for any awards.  ANY.  AWARD.

Space Freely

« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2016, 06:49:11 pm »
Admittedly, I don't see many of these films until they come to DVD six months later. So I really have not much to say about the whole no minorities being nominated category.

Ok, make that HAD not much to say. I just was Trainwreck, and have to say that it's pretty clear my boy Lebron was robbed.