Author Topic: Twitter thread  (Read 171524 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: Twitter thread
« Reply #870 on: May 31, 2022, 01:38:47 pm »
Well maybe the better idea is to not give a foreigner his own American tv show feautring commentary on America, thus giving his a louder voice than 99.99% of Americans.

"give"?  like, he showed up at Customs, showed his passport, and "they" issued him a visa and a TV show?  (aside: why wasn't i given my own show?!?!?)

john oliver is now on his 9th season, i'd say that the american public has spoken: they want what he's offering.
<sig>

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #871 on: May 31, 2022, 01:41:02 pm »
have a problem with an obnoxious foreigner who comes to America and make millions off of Americans by telling them what is wrong with America.

saying that foreigners who live in the US can't/shouldn't criticize the US is the stupidest, most jingistic argument ever.  it's a facile and infantile way to dismiss an opinion without having to actually come up with a counter-argument.  the day that that same foreigner says something in favor of their position, they'll be the first to elevate that argument as saying "see?  even the foreigners acknowledge this!!!"  (aside: jim jeffries' take on this).

Well maybe the better idea is to not give a foreigner his own American tv show feautring commentary on America, thus giving his a louder voice than 99.99% of Americans.
I wish GGW was here so he could find when Space first made this argument about Peter Jennings 25 years ago or something.
LVMH

« Reply #872 on: May 31, 2022, 01:52:05 pm »
john oliver is now on his 9th season, i'd say that the american public has spoken: they want what he's offering.
100%
you may or may not like him, but HBO is paying him a lot, because he get tons of viewers...they speak with their eyes/wallets
His deep dive on so many 'american' topics NO OTHER person is doing
I just watched one about how all the Power Utilities are monopolies, not exactly click bait kind of stuff and there is almost no coverage by other shows
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #873 on: May 31, 2022, 02:06:12 pm »
100%
you may or may not like him, but HBO is paying him a lot, because he get tons of viewers...they speak with their eyes/wallets
I just watched one about how all the Power Utilities are monopolies, not exactly click bait kind of stuff and there is almost no coverage by other shows

"Tons?"

Let's not get carried away. 1 million viewers in a country of 330 million people.

https://deadline.com/2020/04/last-week-tonight-with-john-oliver-series-high-viewership-hbo-1202914391/

99.7% of Americans don't watch his show.

Space Freely

« Reply #874 on: May 31, 2022, 02:07:25 pm »
have a problem with an obnoxious foreigner who comes to America and make millions off of Americans by telling them what is wrong with America.

saying that foreigners who live in the US can't/shouldn't criticize the US is the stupidest, most jingistic argument ever.  it's a facile and infantile way to dismiss an opinion without having to actually come up with a counter-argument.  the day that that same foreigner says something in favor of their position, they'll be the first to elevate that argument as saying "see?  even the foreigners acknowledge this!!!"  (aside: jim jeffries' take on this).

I wish GGW was here so he could find when Space first made this argument about Peter Jennings 25 years ago or something.

Remind me what show Peter Jennings was spoiting his opinions on.

« Reply #875 on: May 31, 2022, 02:25:11 pm »

He was the nightly anchor of ABC Nightly News for years and years and years and was the frequent target of "we aren't going to let a CANDAIAN tell us things are we?" by chuckleheads.
LVMH

« Reply #876 on: May 31, 2022, 02:44:05 pm »
100%

"Tons?"

Let's not get carried away. 1 million viewers in a country of 330 million people.

https://deadline.com/2020/04/last-week-tonight-with-john-oliver-series-high-viewership-hbo-1202914391/

Another classic Space canard -- claiming everything on HBO is niche because of low traditional viewership numbers in a social media world. 9 out 10 people who see a segment from John Oliver do not have HBO, bro. This shit lives on Twitter and Facebook.

The Sopranos is one of the most referenced television touchstones of the past two decades; it pulled a 4 in the ratings.
LVMH

Space Freely

« Reply #877 on: May 31, 2022, 03:16:18 pm »

He was the nightly anchor of ABC Nightly News for years and years and years and was the frequent target of "we aren't going to let a CANDAIAN tell us things are we?" by chuckleheads.

I knew the first part, but not the second. I guess I don't know as many chuckleheads as you.

« Reply #878 on: May 31, 2022, 03:42:20 pm »
I guess I don't know as many chuckleheads as you.
I know a great many chuckleheads.
LVMH

« Reply #879 on: May 31, 2022, 03:57:53 pm »
"Tons?"

Why would HBO pay him over $15 million a year then?  you are just looking silly on this topic

For his highly successful TV show on HBO, John Oliver earns an annual salary of $15 Million dollars. In addition to this fixed salary, John Oliver is also eligible for an additional $2 Million in bonus, if his TV Show achieves certain Cable TV ratings

pulled from your article
Last Week Tonight has averaged 4.7 million across all platforms and plays for episodes of the new season.
so your 99.7% number is incorrect too

Obviously the network is willing to pay for Julian or Sidehatch's eyeballs much more than you or hutch's
But I already knew that
« Last Edit: May 31, 2022, 04:03:03 pm by Sidespeare ıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

« Reply #880 on: May 31, 2022, 04:03:48 pm »
I guess I don't know as many chuckleheads as you.
I know a great many chuckleheads.
how many of them are on this board ;)
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #881 on: May 31, 2022, 04:08:48 pm »
9 out 10 people who see a segment from John Oliver do not have HBO, bro. This shit lives on Twitter and Facebook.

dunno about FB and TW, but he gets a ton of eyeballs on youtube (including mine).  his weekly vids typically get between 3 and 7 million views, eclipsing his HBO viewership.  a quick scroll of his video listing page reveals that he has several stories that got over 30 million views.  his most popular piece, posted as trump was about to secure the GOP nom in early 2016, has over 40 million views.
<sig>

Space Freely

« Reply #882 on: May 31, 2022, 04:09:48 pm »
"Tons?"

Why would HBO pay him over $15 million a year then?  you are just looking silly on this topic

For his highly successful TV show on HBO, John Oliver earns an annual salary of $15 Million dollars. In addition to this fixed salary, John Oliver is also eligible for an additional $2 Million in bonus, if his TV Show achieves certain Cable TV ratings

pulled from your article
Last Week Tonight has averaged 4.7 million across all platforms and plays for episodes of the new season.
so your 99.7% number is incorrect too

Obviously the network is willing to pay for Julian or Sidehatch's eyeballs much more than you or hutch's
But I already knew that

I stand corrected. 98.6% of Americans don't watch John Oliver.

By comparison, 50 million viewers (21.4% of the 1983 US populations) watched the MASH finale.

https://www.businessinsider.com/most-watched-episodes-2016-9#1-mash--goodbye-farewell-and-amen-series-finale-20

I bet Alan Alda, who made 300K per episode, feels robbed.

Space Freely

« Reply #883 on: May 31, 2022, 04:12:14 pm »
9 out 10 people who see a segment from John Oliver do not have HBO, bro. This shit lives on Twitter and Facebook.

dunno about FB and TW, but he gets a ton of eyeballs on youtube (including mine).  his weekly vids typically get between 3 and 7 million views, eclipsing his HBO viewership.  a quick scroll of his video listing page reveals that he has several stories that got over 30 million views.  his most popular piece, posted as trump was about to secure the GOP nom in early 2016, has over 40 million views.

That's about .4% of the total number of views that Baby Shark has gotten (10.7 billion.)

« Reply #884 on: May 31, 2022, 04:19:59 pm »
If you’re trying to point out that John Oliver segments lack the rewatchability of ear worms like Baby Shark, then yes, you’ve stumbled upon a point of agreement.

I don’t even like John Oliver, but this just constantly claiming that things are not part of the zeitgeist because they fail to accumulate the same quantity in some outdated metric like “Nielsen ratings” as some other thing in the zeitgeist is real dumb. It’s like going “Taylor Swift isn’t a famous musician, she hasn’t even sold as many records as ABBA.” Your fact is very tenuously at best correlated to your assertion and does not account for era and or how industries evolve.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2022, 04:23:03 pm by Julian, Adroit TASTEMAKER »
LVMH