Author Topic: Meanwhile, in Canada...  (Read 79302 times)

Re: Meanwhile, in Canada...
« Reply #240 on: February 14, 2022, 06:46:23 pm »
Nobody thinks Americans are the "nicest people in the world" - not even Americans.
sad, but true
slack

Starsky

« Reply #241 on: February 14, 2022, 06:50:18 pm »
That’s an interesting point…not convinced it was always thus

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #242 on: February 14, 2022, 06:53:24 pm »
It’s not like I haven’t been warning all of you of this….

you also believe that listening to taylor swift is a valid musical choice, so there's a credibility problem here...
Have Vansmack and I morphed into one shared identity for you? Have you had a stroke? Do you smell toast!?

Revenge is best served in a 10 minute song, with accompanying video, don't you think Jules?

agreed
<sig>

« Reply #243 on: February 14, 2022, 07:05:19 pm »
agreed
WTF is that!?
I just kept it on in the background and came back and was like "this is my f-ing work computer'

edit...They are wax figures ...still yowza
slack

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #244 on: February 14, 2022, 07:20:50 pm »
It’s not like I haven’t been warning all of you of this….

you also believe that listening to taylor swift is a valid musical choice, so there's a credibility problem here...
Have Vansmack and I morphed into one shared identity for you? Have you had a stroke? Do you smell toast!?

Revenge is best served in a 10 minute song, with accompanying video, don't you think Jules?
Will it make anachronistic references to the feminist movement? If so, yes.
LVMH

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #245 on: February 14, 2022, 07:21:30 pm »
true, in as much as most Americans are rioting enemies of democracy who want to hang their elected officials.

Yes, but we embrace this.  Nobody thinks Americans are the "nicest people in the world" - not even Americans.

if what you claim is true, it would be the only thing americans agree on about themselves... making me think your claim is false.  but makes for a great made-up talking point!

i'm pretty confident there are plenty of midwestern'ish, church-going, donation-giving, U-S-A-U-S-A-chanting americans who legitimately think they are the nicest people in the world.

Canadians on the other hand with their stupid flag patch on ALL of their backpacks brazenly advertising "You have nothing to fear here, I'm Canadian and the nicest person on the planet."  Turns out, no. 

this is what is called a "you problem".  if that's where your mind goes when you see when you see a maple leaf on a back-pack, then there isn't much i can do to help you - other than to assure you that is NOT why canadians put their flag on their back-packs.  it's not to project superiority, signal virtue, etc... no, the reason is much simpler: it's done* to let locals know we're not americans.  given the linguistic and cultural similarities between canada and the US, one can't blame locals for telling travelling north americans apart.

* edit: that's why it was done... last few times i was back-packing overseas (admittedly over a decade ago), a person with a canadian flag on their back-pack was slightly more likely to be american than canadian.  why?  because they didn't want locals to think they were american - probably because americans aren't the only ones who don't think that americans aren't the nicest people in the world... thanks for ruining that for us.
<sig>

« Reply #246 on: February 14, 2022, 07:32:57 pm »

* edit: that's why it was done... last few times i was back-packing overseas (admittedly over a decade ago), a person with a canadian flag on their back-pack was slightly more likely to be american than canadian.  why?  because they didn't want locals to think they were american - probably because americans aren't the only ones who don't think that americans aren't the nicest people in the world... thanks for ruining that for us.
Ohhh, this is a great idea.  where were you 30 years ago!
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #247 on: February 14, 2022, 07:34:06 pm »
agreed
WTF is that!?
I just kept it on in the background and came back and was like "this is my f-ing work computer'

edit...They are wax figures ...still yowza

it's another chapter in the taylor vs. kanye feud.  ye sings: "I feel like me and Taylor might still have sex. Why? I made that bitch famous."  just before this song, those two had managed to patch things up.  he called her and told her about the song and that he'd be name checking her and she agreed, but apparently the final lyrics were not what he told her he was going to sing (i.e. she signed off on something much less offensive).  taytay felt betrayed, kim k released a snippet of audio of the phone call where taylor said "ok" to kanye to prove taylor was lying, but turned out the auido was selectively edited and a longer version of the call showed that what kanye actually sang was not mentioned on the call.  that's what i remember from reading a HuffPo article on the song, i'm sure our resident members of the Swifties will correct my errors.
<sig>

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #248 on: February 14, 2022, 10:36:21 pm »
The Canadian Government is currently giving zero fucks and it’s pissing off conservatives.. grabs popcorn
T.Rex

« Reply #249 on: February 14, 2022, 11:36:44 pm »
In other news Canada, actually became a dictatorship today, it actually did

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1493393652516851715?s=21
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #250 on: February 15, 2022, 12:32:36 am »
In other news Canada, actually became a dictatorship today, it actually did

HAHA SUCKAZ WE BEAT YOU TO IT, YOU MIGHT HAVE TRIED FIRST BUT WE GOT THERE FIRST!!!111
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #251 on: February 15, 2022, 12:34:40 am »
The Canadian Government is currently giving zero fucks about conservative blowhards and it’s pissing them off

fixed

grabs popcorn

this could take a while... might i suggest a poutine instead?
<sig>

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
T.Rex

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #253 on: February 15, 2022, 04:27:33 pm »
^ perfect.
<sig>

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #254 on: February 16, 2022, 12:08:51 pm »
US and Canada both out in hockey in the quarters after choking away games like dogs. Woof.

LVMH