Author Topic: Belly up, fired, and retired  (Read 399965 times)

Space Freely

Re: Belly up, fired, and retired
« Reply #1605 on: August 12, 2022, 06:21:42 pm »
what with his success in album sales and at the grammys recently, you gotta think he has better offers in front of him than leading a talk show's house band.
yeah, his star is shooting through the roof, why would you want to be the house band when you are a star in your own right
I would answer job/pay security/life stability (especially with an ill loved one). . . It worked for Max Weinberg for a long time. I mean, isn't he mainly a jazzbo? Unless he's got offers on top of offers rolling in for composing work, I can't imagine him as a top live draw.
Also, apparently Weinberg owns, or until recently owned a place in the city. The company that I work for did some minor work and I'll say this, he has a very quaint email address.

A "jazzbo" who just won eight Grammys, including album of the year.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #1606 on: August 12, 2022, 07:28:25 pm »
Jon Batiste is leaving his role as band leader of The Late Show with Stephen Colbert after seven seasons.

interesting.  he's been on a leave of absence, of sorts, for many weeks now and was supposed to come back in september if i remember correctly... guess he isn't coming back anymore. 

what with his success in album sales and at the grammys recently, you gotta think he has better offers in front of him than leading a talk show's house band.

Batiste had taken time off to tend to his wife Suleika Jaouad, who has advanced leukemia.

I wonder what Chris Rock's take on this will be.

evilizac

« Reply #1607 on: August 12, 2022, 07:46:40 pm »
yeah, his star is shooting through the roof, why would you want to be the house band when you are a star in your own right
I would answer job/pay security/life stability (especially with an ill loved one). . . It worked for Max Weinberg for a long time. I mean, isn't he mainly a jazzbo? Unless he's got offers on top of offers rolling in for composing work, I can't imagine him as a top live draw.
Also, apparently Weinberg owns, or until recently owned a place in the city. The company that I work for did some minor work and I'll say this, he has a very quaint email address.

A "jazzbo" who just won eight Grammys, including album of the year.
That is true, but there's a lot of former Grammy winners that can't fill seats years later. Maybe as a failed musician working in accounts receivable for a painting company, my haterish side might be showing a little. I will say that I'll miss him on the show. I did enjoy the sometimes awkward chemistry between Colbert and Batiste's very different personalities (particularly the New Orleans-isms). 
WHAT?

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1608 on: August 12, 2022, 08:42:10 pm »
I will say that I'll miss him on the show. I did enjoy the sometimes awkward chemistry between Colbert and Batiste's very different personalities (particularly the New Orleans-isms). 

especially when compared to the dreadfully awkward interaction colbert tries to get going with the new band leader dude, on guitar... he just doesn't have it.  they need to take away his mic.
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
<sig>

« Reply #1610 on: August 15, 2022, 06:44:17 am »
Steve Martin thinks he's taken his last ever acting role and will retire
Spoiler alert
the last episode is going to be live and they are going out with a murder/suicide
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #1611 on: August 15, 2022, 08:53:12 am »

« Reply #1612 on: August 15, 2022, 09:17:01 am »
Steve Martin thinks he's taken his last ever acting role and will retire
Spoiler alert
the last episode is going to be live and they are going out with a murder/suicide

Perhaps he's still smarting that Anne Heche left him for Ellen.
I think may have stung a little
  her confession that the best sex she ever had was with Ellen DeGeneres.
https://okmagazine.com/p/anne-heche-told-all-dead/

Timed awkwardly, ... Heche had just released an autobiography, Call Me Crazy,

slack

« Reply #1613 on: August 17, 2022, 06:53:37 am »
Liz Cheney
slack

Starsky

« Reply #1614 on: August 17, 2022, 09:16:09 am »
Can’t argue with her speech although I found her repeated references to the civil war and prediction of increased violence by Trump supporters kind of chilling.

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #1615 on: August 17, 2022, 02:49:51 pm »
Can’t argue with her speech although I found her repeated references to the civil war and prediction of increased violence by Trump supporters kind of chilling.

Unfortunately she is 100% right

GAY,GUY

« Reply #1616 on: August 17, 2022, 03:28:15 pm »
Maybe it is just me . . . she's not your friend.  She is still opposed to gun control, abortion and the Affordable Care Act, and only changed her opinion about gay people and gay marriage, when she lost her first senate run.

Thank you to her, for what she is trying to do, but fuck her, for who she really is when the cameras and microphones are gone.

Starsky

« Reply #1617 on: August 17, 2022, 04:39:33 pm »
I hear you walkie and have said and thought the same but as Americans isn’t the most important thing that our constitution and system of government remain? Without that everything and everyone is under threat.

I wouldn’t vote for her…… and I loathe her but these are crazy times and the issue of a coup attempt and future attempts seems all important.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1618 on: August 17, 2022, 07:00:08 pm »
Ian Millhiser @imillhiser
I will say this for Liz Cheney: She was wrong about all but one thing, but that one thing was the most important thing. And she gave up more than most of us have to try to save it.
<sig>

« Reply #1619 on: August 19, 2022, 05:49:19 am »
Dan price
Seattle CEO famous for giving every employee a $70k paycheck resigns

https://thehill.com/homenews/ap/ap-business/seattle-ceo-who-cut-his-pay-so-workers-earned-70k-resigns/
slack