Author Topic: Belly up, fired, and retired  (Read 410319 times)

Re: Belly up, fired, and retired
« Reply #2145 on: January 02, 2024, 11:15:14 pm »
I mean do people have a right to walk into McDonalds and start screaming about wanting to commit genocide?
actually, I think they do

Now if they started ACTUALLY COMMITTING (or plotting to commit) GENOCIDE...now that is a different matter

as Gay said...personally, I find the speech abhorrent and might have a hard time not punching them in the face
but is it legal and protected by the constitution
and Likely I'd be the one in handcuffs

Do people have the right to yell whatever hateful thing they want at work and not get fired?
I think this would be the owner of the companies decision...and likely they would get fired for 'creating a hostile work environment'

Also, lets be clear, your insulation that protecting free speech is condoning the content of said speech
I don't agree

I'll cite the nazi parade in skokie as the test
« Last Edit: January 02, 2024, 11:20:08 pm by Semi-Prime-hatch ıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

Hutch

« Reply #2146 on: January 02, 2024, 11:20:36 pm »
That’s bullshit.

Your right to express hateful speech to a person you are dining with is surely protected but your right to get up with a megaphone and do so at a McDonalds is not.

Harvard is a private entity with a student code of conduct. Moreover they would never have admitted a student professing support for genocide and have the right -and in this case- obligation to rescind the admission.

I am surprised at you.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2024, 11:22:52 pm by Hutch »

« Reply #2147 on: January 02, 2024, 11:22:57 pm »
Harvard is a private entity with a code of conduct. Moreover they would never have admitted a student professing support for genocide and have the right -and in this case- obligation to rescind the admission.
well you are right there, they could do that
they have chosen not to and that's not illegal nor are they obligated to do it

I mean for almost a century they had a pretty clear policy to NOT allow jews at Harvard

Your right to express hateful speech on LIVE TV at the white house ellipse...
FTFY
hmm where have I seen an orange man do this and suffer no such penalty

again, I'm not condoning the content
and you can't yell Fire in a crowed movie theater
« Last Edit: January 02, 2024, 11:27:54 pm by Semi-Prime-hatch ıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

Hutch

« Reply #2148 on: January 02, 2024, 11:30:56 pm »
Just because something is not illegal doesn’t mean it’s not wrong. Institutions like Harvard have student codes of conduct.

Pretty sure people have been let go from Harvard - teachers and students- for saying things the university did not find appropriate but of course in this case whatever. The hypocrisy is repugnant.

Anyways I have staked my claim but will not fight til the last breath. Good day!

« Reply #2149 on: January 02, 2024, 11:32:22 pm »
Just because something is not illegal doesn’t mean it’s not wrong.
agreed!
slack

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #2150 on: January 02, 2024, 11:39:11 pm »
This thread is on fire!

I mean, I thought it was funny.

gavroche

« Reply #2151 on: January 02, 2024, 11:44:29 pm »
Honestly the stupidity is getting crazee

Who said anything about criminalizing speech?

The question Stefanik posed was about the Harvard code of conduct. Any student advocating genocide - particularly on campus-needs to be shown the door at that university. Students have the right to say anything they want and have their admission rescinded by the university. They can then continue advocating genocide without a Harvard degree.

I think there is a big difference from saying something at a McDonalds then there is at a non-profit (tax exempt) government institution of higher education.

I also think there is a big difference between having discussions about morality and blatently lying about what happened factually. And yet that's what's being conflated here. 

This is a conservative effort to stop others from policing their lies and Trump's hate. Steanfik was removed from Harvard's advisory board for her consistent lies about the election: https://www.politico.com/news/2021/01/12/harvard-removes-elise-stefanik-advisory-commitee-458141

And then they are doubling down on the  curtailment of Palestinian thought about the occupation and ethnic clensing they are being subject to because they know it is a wedge issue between Democrats. It's worked in much the same way that Youngkin was able to use concern about American history to drive a wedge.

It seems clear to me that we are quick to call things that Palestians say anti-semmetic or genocidal but that we look past Israeli statemetns all the tme. And it's not just students but people in actual positions of power: https://www.timesofisrael.com/ministers-call-for-resettling-gazas-palestinians-building-settlements-in-strip/ https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/gaza-nakba-israels-far-right-palestinian-fears-hamas-war-rcna123909  And yet it is ok to blindly say not only that we support Israel's right to defend itself (even as it continues an apartheid state) and that the United States should send money and to arms to them, but it is widely considered anti-semtic to even question Israel's actions. We get offended by slogans like "from the river to the sea" but there is literally no discussion about calls to drop nuclear weapons on Gaza.

Stefanik wants to be able to dictate the historical facts that are told (even if they are false) while curtailing the discussion of justice and morality around them. To me this is backwards.  We need rigor about the facts and then we can have a marketplace for how to interpret them.

Stefanik got two huge wins (and she has more to come). It's right out of the Youngkin playbook and I think we are much worse for it.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2024, 11:55:44 am by gavroche »

« Reply #2152 on: January 02, 2024, 11:50:28 pm »
This is a conservative effort to stop from policing their lies and Trump's hate. Steanfik was removed from Harvard's advisory board for her consistent lies about the election: https://www.politico.com/news/2021/01/12/harvard-removes-elise-stefanik-advisory-commitee-458141
didn't realize that

yeah this has been the best press Steanfik has gotten period, actually has dems chearing for her
with chops like this, could see her getting a VP nod
slack

« Reply #2153 on: January 03, 2024, 09:22:21 pm »
RATM

slack

« Reply #2155 on: January 04, 2024, 01:49:04 pm »
^I saw that and it made me want to puke and punch my monitor on the victory lap they were taking
slack

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #2156 on: January 04, 2024, 04:53:20 pm »
😐 🎶

« Reply #2157 on: January 04, 2024, 04:59:34 pm »
TGI Fridays abruptly closes 6 DC-area restaurants
for a second I was excited that the one close to me was closing...nope Arlinton Texas

This side of Arlington has some of the worst food options on the planet
Popeyes, Olive Garden, mcd, bK, taco smell, buff wild wings every crappy chain has representation within a mile of my house

yes I'm in South Arlington, but come on man, can't we have some good food options
not like we are in Centerville
slack

Hutch

« Reply #2159 on: January 05, 2024, 04:23:47 pm »
Wayne LaPierre as NRA boss

Hope next guy won’t be even worse!