Author Topic: In Which I Share With You the Best Song that Played as I Grocery Shopped  (Read 125093 times)

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
Re: In Which I Share With You the Best Song that Played as I Grocery Shopped
« Reply #90 on: October 17, 2018, 03:41:16 pm »
U2 seems to be the band that people who are trying to be cool love to hate. Whereas other people love them. There seems to be little in between. I'm an in between. Some of their stuff is great, some is complete garbage. This particular song is ok.
U2 had a great first 3-4 records. Then everything after that (including Joshua Tree) is ass. So I guess I'm with you: they undeniably have some great stuff, just none of it has come out in the last 25 years.

I think if the band was from -- I don't know -- Albany, NY they would've broken up a long time ago and be certainly remembered, but revered about as much as, say, REO Speedwagon. Along with Boston Sports teams; Conor McGregor; Catholicism; Notre Dame; Jameson; et al, U2 profits from the sick, weird tribalism of Irish-American immigrants that demands their obsequious support for all things with the thin veneer of overt-Irishness regardless of any of these institutions' relative merits. (And I say this as someone whose mother's maiden name was Brady.)

Vansmack will now show up and remind everyone of this year's Notre Dame/Michigan score.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 03:48:29 pm by Julian, Semi-Retired WUNDERKIND »
LVMH

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #91 on: October 17, 2018, 04:04:48 pm »
i was at a local street festival recently, poking around... so that sorta counts as shopping.

it was a huge festival, biggest street fair i've ever been to.  off in the distance i heard some orchestral-tinged hard rock coming from the stage area.  thought to myself "hey, this is decent, sounds very 70's or 80's prog-rock".  then a voice with a thick English accent chimed in, "...and i think you'll all recognize this next one, it's called Aqualung" - and a perfect rendition of Aqualung ensued.  "wait, that voice, i recognize it... was that Ian Anderson?!?"  i've seen Jethro Tull live, and hell if this wasn't them.  didn't make any sense - have Tull been reduced to the county fair circuit?!?  we were on our way back to the car with two whiney kids so i couldn't break away to visually confirm, but my ears were certain it was JT (or Anderson, at least).

got home, looked it up online, turns out it was a (very good) JT cover band called The Jethro Tull Experience

so i wasn't really shopping, and i heard a cover band.  probably doesn't warrant a post in this thread, but here i am anyways.  sorry.
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #92 on: October 17, 2018, 04:09:42 pm »
the sick, weird tribalism of Irish-American immigrants that demands their obsequious support for all things with the thin veneer of overt-Irishness regardless of any of these institutions' relative merits. (And I say this as someone whose mother's maiden name was Brady.)

as opposed to the sick, weird tribalism of Michigan emigrants that proffer their obsequious support for all things with the thin veneer of overt-Michiganess regardless of any of these institutions' relative merits. (And I say this as someone whose mother is from Sault Ste. Marie Ontario, and spent my summers crossing the river to Soo Michigan).

Vansmack will now show up and remind everyone of this year's Notre Dame/Michigan score.

yeah, can see that one coming from a mile away... ;D
<sig>

« Reply #93 on: October 17, 2018, 04:34:51 pm »
the sick, weird tribalism of Irish-American immigrants that demands their obsequious support for all things with the thin veneer of overt-Irishness regardless of any of these institutions' relative merits. (And I say this as someone whose mother's maiden name was Brady.)

as opposed to the sick, weird tribalism of Michigan emigrants that proffer their obsequious support for all things with the thin veneer of overt-Michiganess regardless of any of these institutions' relative merits. (And I say this as someone whose mother is from Sault Ste. Marie Ontario, and spent my summers crossing the river to Soo Michigan).
Seeing as one of those phenomenons exists and the other is wholecloth you just imagined, yes, I suppose "as opposed to" is the proper prefix to that sentence.

People from Michigan do not go around telling everyone everything from Michigan is fantastic and worthy of our support; we tell people we it is "not cold," despite all evidence to the contrary.
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #94 on: October 17, 2018, 05:11:51 pm »
People from Pittsburgh

Space Freely

« Reply #95 on: October 17, 2018, 08:44:16 pm »
My daughter informed me that tomorrow is a field trip and she needed something from Giant, so back I went.

INXS-New Sensation

I saw them at the Palace Theater in Albany, NY on 10/29/87. I'll admit, I was a fan for much of the 80's going back to 1982's Shabooh Shoobah. Or whatever it was called. Then they lost me in the 90's. Then the singer died while jerking off. Then they got a new singer on Rock Star INXS which was must see viewing at our house but they don't seem to be doing much these days. god i love that you can find stuff out on he internet like that last sentence. god bless the web.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 08:46:35 pm by Space Freely »

« Reply #96 on: October 17, 2018, 09:26:48 pm »
the Palace Theater in Albany, NY
Didn’t the long-defunct alterno-U2 play a somewhat acclaimed three-night homestand there once back in ‘88?
LVMH

Space Freely

« Reply #97 on: October 17, 2018, 10:45:08 pm »
Didn’t the long-defunct alterno-U2 play a somewhat acclaimed three-night homestand there once back in ‘88?

It's possible, but i don't recall. Apparently, they did play my school's Mayfest celebration, but it was a few years before I got there.

https://www.timesunion.com/local/article/Before-U2-conquered-the-world-12891468.php

« Reply #98 on: October 17, 2018, 11:16:02 pm »

It's possible, but i don't recall. Apparently, they did play my school's Mayfest celebration, but it was a few years before I got there.

https://www.timesunion.com/local/article/Before-U2-conquered-the-world-12891468.php
WE ARE THROUGH THE MANDELA-EFFECT LOOKING GLASS HERE, PEOPLE!!
LVMH

shemptiness

« Reply #99 on: October 21, 2018, 11:34:51 am »
'Weight of the World' by The Samples.  Olney Giant yesterday.

Nice pop tune.  Boulder Co band from the 80s described as a cross between The Police and The Dead.

Space Freely

« Reply #100 on: October 21, 2018, 03:26:15 pm »
Another repeat...

Giant 10/20: Squeeze-Pulling Mussels from a Shell

I won't repeat my story of how i used to think this song was called Pulling Muscles for Michelle
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 06:00:50 pm by Space Freely »

Space Freely

« Reply #101 on: October 24, 2018, 02:41:32 pm »
10/23 Whole Foods

ELO-Mr. Blue Sky

I spent this whole song fantasizing about how low tickets prices will go on stubhub for their DC show after it undersells the arena.

« Reply #102 on: October 24, 2018, 02:45:12 pm »
I spent this whole song fantasizing about how low tickets prices will go on stubhub for their DC show after it undersells the arena.
you really need to expand your fantasy life...
but ...I did think a similar thing when they listed Cap Center....I think this would be a perfect Anthem show
slack

ggw

« Reply #103 on: October 27, 2018, 11:17:13 am »
Miami Sound Machine - The rhythm is gonna get you
Counting Crows - Big Yellow Taxi

shemptiness

« Reply #104 on: October 27, 2018, 12:46:19 pm »
Weis Market, Middle River, MD

Wilco! - 'Nothing'severgonnastandinmyway(again)'