Author Topic: The 2020 thread....  (Read 455996 times)

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
Re: The 2020 thread....
« Reply #2190 on: June 22, 2020, 02:58:35 pm »
https://www.dataforprogress.org/blog/2020/6/22/elizabeth-warren-leads-the-vice-presidential-choice

New polling in which Warren continues to be the favorite VP candidate among virtually every subgroup of voters including youth and POC.

But I just know that Kamala is going to be better with African Americans.
Not sure if you’re being serious.
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #2191 on: June 22, 2020, 03:00:47 pm »
I doubt it...

« Reply #2192 on: June 22, 2020, 03:34:53 pm »
I doubt it...
agreed, was ready for a response, but then realized
slack

gavroche

« Reply #2193 on: June 22, 2020, 03:53:30 pm »
I doubt it...
agreed, was ready for a response, but then realized

Kidding aside, the problem with Warren is the gymnastics that the D's have to do to hold onto her seat.  Cannot risk letting Mitch keep the Senate, even for 160 days.

« Reply #2194 on: June 22, 2020, 04:44:35 pm »
Kidding aside, the problem with Warren is the gymnastics that the D's have to do to hold onto her seat.  Cannot risk letting Mitch keep the Senate, even for 160 days.
I agree...the MA gov is a Republican and will certainly appoint a MAGA diehard and that will be bad
slack

« Reply #2195 on: June 22, 2020, 04:55:14 pm »
I agree...the MA gov is a Republican and will certainly appoint a MAGA diehard and that will be bad
I believe the Dems are trying to quickly pass a “senate replacements must be someone of the same party” bill. But yeah, that’s in play.
LVMH

« Reply #2196 on: June 22, 2020, 05:39:37 pm »
I believe the Dems are trying to quickly pass a “senate replacements must be someone of the same party” bill. But yeah, that’s in play.
never gonna happen
slack

« Reply #2197 on: June 22, 2020, 05:51:39 pm »
never gonna happen
If I am not mistaken, MA Dems have veto-proof majorities in both houses of their legislature.

EDIT: I have confirmed.
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #2198 on: June 22, 2020, 07:08:25 pm »

I think if you are conservative about the choice (don’t care to make a splash) you go with Kamala Harris...if you are into rocking the boat you go with Val Demings...Susan Rice could be a sort of compromise choice

So I agree with the betting markets

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/politics/event/28009878/multi-market?marketIds=1.168954647

Picking the VP based on how she is polling seems a bit fraught to me... making comments like “Black people like Warren better than Kamala” or “Kamala is not really black” seem bizarre

More likely people have their own preferences and look for anything they can to back it up...someone who is a “progressive” left winger is obviously going to prefer Warren and see it from that perspective

And anytime I make an argument for why Kamala Harris is a better pick they are going to ignore it and say “I just don’t see what Kamala Harris brings..”

Obviously there must be some reason she has been the favorite this entire time...

Still can’t get over Klobuchar saying it should be a black woman.. it’s tempting to think she is in communication with Biden and would have “cleared” it..after all even if she is not VP she must have her eye on a plum job in a Biden administration.. it’s not VP or nothing... running a Department is a pretty big deal.. she wouldn’t want to say something to really tick off the Biden camp and endanger her future prospects in a Biden administration....and yet, who knows? It struck me at first as tone deaf but what if she’s working with Biden to lay the terrain for the Kamala pick? Or Demings or Rice or?

« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 07:10:50 pm by hutch »

« Reply #2199 on: June 22, 2020, 07:11:17 pm »
For the record, I’ve never said Kamala isn’t really black. I just think she adds nothing to the ticket.

Warren is a unity ticket that reaches out to progressives and young folks, which is Biden’s weakest democratic bonafides. No one has explained to me yet what Kamala adds to Biden’s coalition (who won the nomination on the back of AA votes) other than a ton of baggage around her times as a prosecutor.

I’m more interested in Lujan-Grisham than Kamala if I’m Biden.
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #2200 on: June 22, 2020, 07:52:44 pm »
Come on man it’s different to win the nomination on the backs of blacks (I am done saying African American but someone clue me in if I shouldn’t be..it is getting a bit ridiculous) than it is to get every black person out there - people that don’t usually vote in primaries-you can to vote in the general..to wait in line five hours! I happen to believe black women are going to get out more to vote if a black woman is on the ticket. This idea that they are going to en masse  come out to vote for Warren in the cities of Philadelphia, Milwaukee, Detroit, etc.    well. I just don’t see her maximizing the vote

Moreover doubling down on old and white just isn’t going to happen.

It just comes down to how you view 2016...why did Obama coalition break down? Which part needs the most shoring up..some people think we have to go for the imaginary Trumpers that could be swayed (they point to Klobuchar), others think it’s the progressive wing, etc

As far as Kamala Harris I listed her attributes a few weeks ago..we already did this...she is super vetted, experienced and ready to take over on day 2,  relatively young, good looking, sharpest tool in shed, can be effective attack dog, will whip Pence, etc

hutch

« Reply #2201 on: June 22, 2020, 07:59:24 pm »
The only potential downside to Harris might be if they find something really bad about her time as California AG or how she climbed up the California Democratic Party...using that San Francisco Mayor Willie Brown?

Maybe that..otherwise what is not to like?

She’s not liberal enough? To me that’s a plus.. My message to the progressives is “You get nothing!”

« Reply #2202 on: June 22, 2020, 08:06:55 pm »
The only potential downside to Harris might be if they find something really bad about her time as California AG or how she climbed up the California Democratic Party...using that San Francisco Mayor Willie Brown?

Maybe that..otherwise what is not to like?

She’s not liberal enough? To me that’s a plus.. My message to the progressives is “You get nothing!”
I mean, dude there’s all sorts of stuff to go off about re: her time as AG. She wanted to deny people parole because of the impact their loss of free labor would have on the CA prison system’s finances. I’m in the middle of something but I’ll circle back with some articles on this tomorrow.

But just reasonably: look at ... *gestures out the window at the protests happening in all of our backyards* ... what about this tells you it’s the time to hang your hat on an old-school cop?
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #2203 on: June 22, 2020, 08:13:32 pm »
Oh the protests....

Well you are getting a black VP one step away from President

You want to focus on her being a cop that’s on you

I don’t view her as a cop and I think she was attorney general at a time when that is what was expected from the job..I am sure any AG is going to have some issues..

That argument overall though - she was a cop-is silly not to mention things can change quickly

I listed her attributes..

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2204 on: June 22, 2020, 08:21:33 pm »
so when the news started filtering out on saturday that trump's tulsa rally was a bust, at first i was basking in the schadenfreude, but that quickly wore off... this president has drained me.  i just don't have any more energy to hate him with.

then this appeared today:

<sig>