Author Topic: The 2020 thread....  (Read 456734 times)

Re: The 2020 thread....
« Reply #2265 on: July 05, 2020, 02:18:48 pm »
Seems like punk'ing the MAGA's is becoming sport

Militias flocked to Gettysburg to foil a supposed antifa flag burning, an apparent hoax created on social media

these self-proclaimed oath keepers are starting to scare me...as Jello says American Taliban
slack

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #2266 on: July 05, 2020, 02:52:53 pm »
Would it be possible to win the presidency as a write-in?  asking for a friend
This is actually an interesting query because depending on different states deadlines, would a write-in candidate even be able to have named electors?

Like if a week before the election I burst on the scene, and if I got on TV and made an impassioned speech and in this bizarro world 90% of America en masse wrote in Julian for President, I don’t think I would actually be made President because I do not have electors named in each state for my write-in candidacy. It is my understanding — and actual lawyers of the board, railroad or otherwise, feel free to correct me — that in this thought experiment, we are probably looking at the House delegations electing a President because despite me winning all the states, the states couldn’t send anyone to the electoral college.
LVMH

« Reply #2267 on: July 05, 2020, 03:36:12 pm »
90% of America en masse wrote in Julian for President
The worst part would be if you got the votes and they were like....umm this is a fake name and this vote is void
slack

« Reply #2268 on: July 05, 2020, 03:52:11 pm »
The worst part would be if you got the votes and they were like....umm this is a fake name and this vote is void
I have it registered as a d/b/a and only file with SSA as a known alias. It’s cool.
LVMH

« Reply #2269 on: July 05, 2020, 03:55:49 pm »
I have it registered as a d/b/a and only file with SSA as a known alias. It’s cool.

would it be listed as something like Bob "Julian, Adroit TASTEMAKER" Simpson on the ballot (note I did just Doxx Jules)
slack

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #2270 on: July 05, 2020, 03:59:36 pm »
would it be listed as something like Bob "Julian, Adroit TASTEMAKER" Simpson on the ballot (note I did just Doxx Jules)

8-0

« Reply #2271 on: July 05, 2020, 04:10:12 pm »
slack

« Reply #2272 on: July 05, 2020, 06:56:26 pm »

Its like how if you write in Don Trump or Joe Biden instead of Donald Trump or Joseph Biden, it counts. Clear intent of the voter.
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #2273 on: July 06, 2020, 04:13:42 am »

« Reply #2274 on: July 06, 2020, 10:35:57 am »
Is this good news?
The Supreme Court unanimously ruled Monday that states can penalize faithless electors, the members of the Electoral College who do not support the winner of their state's popular vote in a presidential election.

unanimous decision too
I felt like that was rare...but apparently not
According to the Supreme Court Database, since 2000 a unanimous decision has been more likely than any other result — averaging 36 percent of all decisions. Even when the court did not reach a unanimous judgment, the justices often secured overwhelming majorities, with 7-to-2 or 8-to-1 judgments making up about 15 percent of decisions. The 5-to-4 decisions, by comparison, occurred in 19 percent of cases.

In related SCOTUS news...Barr at least has done something that all americans can get behind
Barr v. American Assn of Political Consultants, #SCOTUS rules federal ban on robocalls to cellphones is unconstitutional
The ban is not unconstitutional per se.  It’s actually the exception that makes it unconstitutional, so the court strikes the exception as severable.  This is a win for consumers.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 10:46:09 am by Statuesque-hatch ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|lıl »
slack

« Reply #2275 on: July 06, 2020, 10:44:13 am »
No more opinions today....so we wait until tomorrow to hear about Trump's tax returns.
just means 24 hours of batshit crazy tweets from donnie

Who knew that kagen would be the one dropping pop culture references in SCOTUS decisions!

Be interesting in 200 years when the archivists are trying to decipher what she is talking about
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 11:02:59 am by Statuesque-hatch ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|lıl »
slack

hutch

« Reply #2276 on: July 06, 2020, 09:53:43 pm »
I got to admit I could see Biden picking Susan Rice...

Tammy Duckworth also

I guess while I see Harris as the favorite, given the political context, Biden is freer to pick whoever he wants..I just don’t know how well he gets along with the VP candidates . he doesn’t really have much to worry about...

I suppose Susan Rice will get some wacko right wingers frothing about Benghazi but so what?

gavroche

« Reply #2277 on: July 07, 2020, 09:25:36 am »
I got to admit I could see Biden picking Susan Rice...

Tammy Duckworth also

I guess while I see Harris as the favorite, given the political context, Biden is freer to pick whoever he wants..I just don’t know how well he gets along with the VP candidates . he doesn’t really have much to worry about...

I suppose Susan Rice will get some wacko right wingers frothing about Benghazi but so what?

I don't see Susan Rice as a safe pick.  Too much baggage and I don't see her having more upside than safer choices.  Even though I don't like her politics, I like Duckworth as a pick (she would have been my "central casting" pick for the President).  She eviscerated Kirk. 
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 10:01:30 am by gavroche »

hutch

« Reply #2278 on: July 07, 2020, 10:11:22 am »
I love you man but you completely missed my point or steamrolled over it

none of this type of analysis takes into account who Biden thinks will make his best Vice President..who he feels he can work with to govern America and who he would feel most comfortable succeeding him

If I was Biden I would be thinking I am going to win this thing and going to inherit a shitshow..who do I want to work with etc...

The Rice advantage is obviously foreign policy and the US is going to have its work cut out on that front after what has happened the past four years... I mean we are going to have to eat serious crow and do a mea culpa...recommit to multilateralism...offer up a challenge to Russia and China... the amount of stuff we will have to do to make things right with Germany etc is endless..Joe is 77! He ideally could delegate all this to Rice and focus on the homefront (working Congress m)

I wouldn’t be thinking who will give me more votes!!!

gavroche

« Reply #2279 on: July 07, 2020, 10:57:53 am »
I love you man but you completely missed my point or steamrolled over it

none of this type of analysis takes into account who Biden thinks will make his best Vice President..who he feels he can work with to govern America and who he would feel most comfortable succeeding him

If I was Biden I would be thinking I am going to win this thing and going to inherit a shitshow..who do I want to work with etc...

The Rice advantage is obviously foreign policy and the US is going to have its work cut out on that front after what has happened the past four years... I mean we are going to have to eat serious crow and do a mea culpa...recommit to multilateralism...offer up a challenge to Russia and China... the amount of stuff we will have to do to make things right with Germany etc is endless..Joe is 77! He ideally could delegate all this to Rice and focus on the homefront (working Congress m)

I wouldn’t be thinking who will give me more votes!!!

The VP is almost exclusively a political position (especially with Biden's age). It's an undefined role with no clear responsibilities and only the power that the President wants to delegate.  Clinton gave Gore final authority on the environment and a couple of other issues.  Obama and Biden worked more as partners.  Quayle was just a pretty face. There is no one model and it could be a purely ceremonial role for Biden with no power if he wants.  That doesn't mean he cannot delegate, he has an entire cabinet for that. Biden can name Susan Rice as Secretary of State if he wants, and keep the VP totally out of foreign policy and he doesn't have to deal with 4 months of Benghazi crazy (though admittedly she might not be confirmable if the D's don't also take the Senate).