Author Topic: The 2020 thread....  (Read 455241 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: The 2020 thread....
« Reply #2235 on: June 30, 2020, 02:55:23 am »
if we are going to play hypothetical world, if Trump is dropping out, the repudiation of all things Trump would stain Pence. You’d probably get some sort of weird Romney/Rubio unity ticket that ran to the center.

ah, interesting observation - you're assuming most GOP'ers have enough shame and humility to admit they were wrong to kowtow to trump for the past 4 years.  right-wingers aren't know for admitting their wrongs and changing their minds.  also, given the short timeline, they'd have to be confident that trump supporters wouldn't line up behind pence - a block they would need to motivate if they even pretended to try to win.  i'm certainly hoping that the minute trump is out of the picture we'll return to some semblance of sanity, but who knows...

in case you have questions about what happens if a candidate dies or withdraws, this is the best answer i could find.
<sig>

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #2236 on: June 30, 2020, 08:45:37 am »
if we are going to play hypothetical world, if Trump is dropping out, the repudiation of all things Trump would stain Pence. You’d probably get some sort of weird Romney/Rubio unity ticket that ran to the center.

ah, interesting observation - you're assuming most GOP'ers have enough shame and humility to admit they were wrong to kowtow to trump for the past 4 years.  right-wingers aren't know for admitting their wrongs and changing their minds.  also, given the short timeline, they'd have to be confident that trump supporters wouldn't line up behind pence - a block they would need to motivate if they even pretended to try to win.  i'm certainly hoping that the minute trump is out of the picture we'll return to some semblance of sanity, but who knows...

in case you have questions about what happens if a candidate dies or withdraws, this is the best answer i could find.
You’re taking what I said as “admit they were wrong” where I see it as “pivot on a dime to win”, which Republicans are much better at than Dems.

GOPers aren’t moving on low taxes and abortion and guns and none of those ideas are unique to Trump. They will case aside the cult of his personality, the Mexican thing, and aversion to masks they second it costs them an election as they always do.
LVMH

« Reply #2237 on: June 30, 2020, 09:48:50 am »
You’re taking what I said as “admit they were wrong” where I see it as “pivot on a dime to win”, which Republicans are much better at than Dems.

GOPers aren’t moving on low taxes and abortion and guns and none of those ideas are unique to Trump. They will case aside the cult of his personality, the Mexican thing, and aversion to masks they second it costs them an election as they always do.
So you are correct in this... I do think the landscape has changed

The GOP brass is good as doing what you said
but the base...they are like Frankenstein after freebasing bath salts...something the GOP does not have control over
They are just riding this bucking bronco to win (and that's really all that matters to them....maintain power)
The Base is 100% like, "I'm not a republican and the GOP can suck eggs I'm team trump to 2044 baby!"
slack

hutch

« Reply #2238 on: June 30, 2020, 10:14:35 am »
we see in Tom Cotton and other Republicans (DeSantis blaming covid spread on migrant workers) how the party is adopting - has adopted-fascism... mainstreaming it

The problem may seem to be Trump but he is the symptom

Always amazes me how people don’t get this...electing Biden is necessary to preserve our nation and a first step but will not in it of itself solve our problems...FOX isn’t going anywhere...racism isn’t going anywhere...

In fact the conversation we need to have - while running hard/ is what we will do January 2021

We need serious changes.. Republicans aren’t going to roll over..we cannot have a repeat of the Obama presidency which while fantastic on form has to , in retrospect, be viewed as ineffectual and having at the very least not done enough to stop the rise of fascism

« Reply #2239 on: June 30, 2020, 10:30:08 am »
Republicans aren’t going to roll over..we cannot have a repeat of the Obama presidency which while fantastic on form has to , in retrospect, be viewed as ineffectual and having at the very least not done enough to stop the rise of fascism
Mitch and the GOP were VERY impactful on their tactics to give zero wins to Obama for the last 6 years
McCain saved Obamacare helped give him one of his only wins...Mitch was not happy

This is fun
After months of telling people not to wear masks
Fox News host Steve Doocy all but begs RNC chairwoman Ronna McDaniel to get Trump to wear a mask. Republicans have been talking up wearing masks after months of Trump mocking them.
"Masks Are Great Again" Doocy says, suggesting a MAGA slogan.
slack

hutch

« Reply #2240 on: June 30, 2020, 10:34:29 am »
Of course...and Mitch will still be there either as majority leader or minority leader

We need to start thinking about what we are actually going to do..the first two years are the time to get things done...

For example we cannot continue to have FOX News operate the way it does...it is literally killing people..this is not an exaggeration

« Reply #2241 on: June 30, 2020, 10:37:15 am »
Just learned that McGrath doesn't even have a lock on the dem nomination for that seat
as Booker just got an endorsement from Sanders, AOC and others
https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/politics/a32815217/kentucky-senate-democrats-amy-mcgrath-charles-booker/
Correct - McGrath is far from a lock.

Dang McGrath seems to be falling apart  (even with a 30-40 million campaign chest)

Looks like it's going to be McGrath v Mitch as the results are being finalized
slack

hutch

« Reply #2242 on: June 30, 2020, 10:40:08 am »
Voting...we are likely to see a complete breakdown on November 3 with the biggest shit show we have ever seen...some are saying it might take days to know results in some states

Something must be done January 2021if Biden wins

« Reply #2243 on: June 30, 2020, 10:40:54 am »
Of course...and Mitch will still be there either as majority leader or minority leader
I can't believe there is no dirt clinging to the crypt-keepers fingernails
I have got to imagine there is an ethics scandal that if he loses power in the senate we can take him out i.e. Tom DeLay

I know, I share what I'm smoking
slack

« Reply #2244 on: June 30, 2020, 10:43:14 am »
Voting...we are likely to see a complete breakdown on November 3
this is my fear and the States are really not taking the responsibility here
There really could not be a more important issue.
It's not a fed thing and we really don't need the Fed to act here
Every state runs its elections.  So can we at least get the blue states (and swing states) on board at a minimum this summer
slack

« Reply #2245 on: June 30, 2020, 12:01:05 pm »
Just learned that McGrath doesn't even have a lock on the dem nomination for that seat
as Booker just got an endorsement from Sanders, AOC and others
https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/politics/a32815217/kentucky-senate-democrats-amy-mcgrath-charles-booker/
Correct - McGrath is far from a lock.

Dang McGrath seems to be falling apart  (even with a 30-40 million campaign chest)

Looks like it's going to be McGrath v Mitch as the results are being finalized

sounds like they are calling it
Amy McGrath wins the #KYSen primary, after an unexpectedly close call against progressive challenger Charles Booker

Shame for Booker to get that close and lose.  Although I'm sure he'll have a good shot at Mayor of Louisville now'

The voters in KY seem to not care...this is telling
She’s raised over $40 million since entering the race... 96 percent of her donations are from out-of-state donors
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 12:04:03 pm by Side-vivre dangereusement ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|lıl »
slack

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #2246 on: June 30, 2020, 12:25:10 pm »
I wish Booker had won because McGrath makes it more likely out of state money will continue to funnel into KYSEN and every cent Dems spend on that is money they have literally set on fire instead of going after winnable causes like ejecting Susan Collins into the sun.
LVMH

« Reply #2247 on: June 30, 2020, 12:34:09 pm »
instead of going after winnable causes like ejecting Susan Collins into the sun.
This is quite possibly cheaper than winning a senate race currently.
Do we think we can peer pressure Elon to do this?
slack

hutch

« Reply #2248 on: June 30, 2020, 02:07:01 pm »
Does money to defeat Mitch really transfer to Susan Collins?

Maybe some but not that much...not grassroots $...big donor $ or DSC $ yes..

Also I think McGrath will be a stiffer challenge to Mitch which means he might have to spend $ in his own race instead of on Collins....

at the end of the day if we can’t defeat Collins without tons of $ we ain’t winning anything

« Reply #2249 on: July 01, 2020, 01:19:47 pm »
is it me or is the GOP senate totally acknowledging that they are going to get their asses kicked in NOV?

I really don't think boo-hoo'ing about the filibuster is going to get McSally, Gardner, Collins, Tillis (maybe Ernst and perdue) a bump to win re-election

So I find it odd they are doing it at all...kinda a bad look
slack