Author Topic: The 2020 thread....  (Read 444240 times)

Re: The 2020 thread....
« Reply #600 on: May 29, 2019, 08:56:46 am »
The DNC announced on Wednesday that it would double the requirements for candidates to reach the 2020 debate stage in September
After the first round of June and July debates, candidates will need to obtain 2% support in four approved polls over the summer and obtain contributions from at least 130,000 donors before Aug. 28 to qualify for the second debate round.

I noticed Gillibrand may not make it to the June stage...not sure what other big players might get dropped by a technical foul
slack

gavroche

« Reply #601 on: May 29, 2019, 09:59:06 am »
The DNC announced on Wednesday that it would double the requirements for candidates to reach the 2020 debate stage in September
After the first round of June and July debates, candidates will need to obtain 2% support in four approved polls over the summer and obtain contributions from at least 130,000 donors before Aug. 28 to qualify for the second debate round.

I noticed Gillibrand may not make it to the June stage...not sure what other big players might get dropped by a technical foul

Isn't the real headline out of this that Gillibrand isn't really a big player?  You cannot you be a big player if you cannot get support and raise money. 

« Reply #602 on: May 29, 2019, 11:03:54 am »
Isn't the real headline out of this that Gillibrand isn't really a big player?  You cannot you be a big player if you cannot get support and raise money.
I 100% agree...she looked like a contender early on when there were only 5 people running
heck I think Gravel has more support
Was never a big fan to begin with
slack

gavroche

« Reply #603 on: May 29, 2019, 01:12:58 pm »
I 100% agree...she looked like a contender early on when there were only 5 people running
heck I think Gravel has more support
Was never a big fan to begin with

We dislike her for different reasons.  I actually think pushing Franken off the boat was the best thing she's ever done.  But in the end, that's why she's flailing, she's no one's first choice.

« Reply #604 on: May 29, 2019, 01:24:05 pm »
I actually think pushing Franken off the boat was the best thing she's ever done. 
Would like to hear more about this...

this never sat well with me "Gillibrand had an 'A' rating from the NRA"
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 01:54:58 pm by Side-Exited ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #605 on: May 29, 2019, 01:46:35 pm »
I actually think pushing Franken off the boat was the best thing she's ever done. 
I wholeheartedly agree with gavroche and would love to see Julian name her his VP nominee (for the future).
LVMH

gavroche

« Reply #606 on: May 29, 2019, 05:15:25 pm »
I wholeheartedly agree with gavroche and would love to see Julian name her his VP nominee (for the future).

This is why I dislike her, she's a longterm moderate who decided to tack left but it just hasn't felt natural for her.

As for Franken, I think he needed to go and I am glad she pushed him.  There was a moment there when I thought he might survive and I think giving up that moral high ground is too costly.  I'm sorry that it felt calculating when she did it, but that is more about her move left.   

We cannot have any tolerance for sexual harassment.  Mock groping a sleeping woman, even as a joke, is not ok and there were pictures.  The woman in the picture said she didn't consent and that she felt harassed, and so you have to take her at her word.  I don't care that Republicans will never live up to that standard. Let them be the party of sexual harassment; we need to keep up a firm distinction

I don't care that Franken was charming and effective at taking on Trump.  The long term moral erosion from keeping him was too high.  Minor harassment cannot be excused just because the other sides' candidates are worse harassers.  In the end if we do that, we just end up in the same place.

I think the Northam Virginia thing is a good example of what happens when you worry too much about the immediate and don't maintain your moral compass.  The Dems will keep the Governorship in the short term, but I think it is going to have long term corrosive impact for the whole party, and hurt their chances of taking back the VA House and Senate. 

« Reply #607 on: May 29, 2019, 05:46:48 pm »
This is why I dislike her, she's a longterm moderate who decided to tack left but it just hasn't felt natural for her.
  Until you said it that way and I did more research...I kind of agree
when I saw she got an A from the NRA was about all I needed to know

We cannot have any tolerance for sexual harassment.  Mock groping a sleeping woman, even as a joke, is not ok and there were pictures.
So I don't know what the middle ground is here.  I just get concerned of throwing the baby out with the bathwater.
I assume that your stance is there is no reconciliation for past bad behavior
I too struggle with this, but I felt his 'crimes' were pretty low level...but still offensive none the less...

The long term moral erosion from keeping him was too high.  Minor harassment cannot be excused
I don't think it should be excused, but not sure the punishment fits the crime
but you do have to take a stand at some point and say harassment is harassment and it has to stop. 

I think the Northam Virginia thing .... The Dems will keep the Governorship in the short term, but I think it is going to have long term corrosive impact for the whole party, and hurt their chances of taking back the VA House and Senate.
I don't know if I agree with this...although not sure
I really didn't think he'd survive that and he's out there getting shit done
stuff I'm glad he's there doing
"signs law to remove autism health coverage age cap" 
"Northam vetoed a bill that would have allowed the General Assembly to redraw legislative districts, apart from the redistricting process in the year following the census."

I'm hoping to see one where he gets his pledge to make community college free for VA residents too

The good thing for him is that VA is a one term Governorship...so he won't have to run for reelection
Will it hurt the Dems chances to take the house...I'm not sure
I think he has had a very documented history of doing things for the African American community and I think they will remember that
He definitely fumbled the response, but I'm glad he didn't resign
Just means he's going to have to do a lot more for the AA community and that's not a bad thing
slack

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #608 on: May 29, 2019, 08:49:36 pm »
  Until you said it that way and I did more research...I kind of agree
when I saw she got an A from the NRA was about all I needed to know

We cannot have any tolerance for sexual harassment.  Mock groping a sleeping woman, even as a joke, is not ok and there were pictures.
So I don't know what the middle ground is here.  I just get concerned of throwing the baby out with the bathwater.
I assume that your stance is there is no reconciliation for past bad behavior
I too struggle with this, but I felt his 'crimes' were pretty low level...but still offensive none the less...

The long term moral erosion from keeping him was too high.  Minor harassment cannot be excused
I don't think it should be excused, but not sure the punishment fits the crime
but you do have to take a stand at some point and say harassment is harassment and it has to stop. 

I think the Northam Virginia thing .... The Dems will keep the Governorship in the short term, but I think it is going to have long term corrosive impact for the whole party, and hurt their chances of taking back the VA House and Senate.
I don't know if I agree with this...although not sure
I really didn't think he'd survive that and he's out there getting shit done
stuff I'm glad he's there doing
"signs law to remove autism health coverage age cap" 
"Northam vetoed a bill that would have allowed the General Assembly to redraw legislative districts, apart from the redistricting process in the year following the census."

I'm hoping to see one where he gets his pledge to make community college free for VA residents too

The good thing for him is that VA is a one term Governorship...so he won't have to run for reelection
Will it hurt the Dems chances to take the house...I'm not sure
I think he has had a very documented history of doing things for the African American community and I think they will remember that
He definitely fumbled the response, but I'm glad he didn't resign
Just means he's going to have to do a lot more for the AA community and that's not a bad thing

tl;dr

nkotb

« Reply #609 on: May 30, 2019, 01:05:37 pm »

« Reply #610 on: May 30, 2019, 01:14:59 pm »
I really don’t get the point of targeting Fox watchers
First of all it’s rather weak and pathetic...target them in the presidential debates or anywhere else...Fox is the enemy period...the sooner we get that the better
Upcoming Dem candidates on Fox town halls....little last gasp-y
Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand: June 2
Julián Castro: June 13

Harris and Warren steadfastly will not

poor Eric Swalwell told CNN he "would absolutely do a Fox town hall," but the network turned him down.

Biden has no comment on this issue
slack

hutch

« Reply #611 on: May 30, 2019, 01:41:28 pm »
You make my point...only weak candidates

« Reply #612 on: May 30, 2019, 01:47:42 pm »
You make my point...only weak candidates
that was part of my point

Hey strong candidates like Bern, Butt and Klob all appeared and got a nice bump

("you've got the "Klob-Butt-Bern" sounds like something you don't want to hear from your proctologist)
slack

hutch

« Reply #613 on: May 30, 2019, 02:04:04 pm »
Huh? Bern is getting clobbered

« Reply #614 on: May 30, 2019, 02:59:11 pm »
Huh? Bern is getting clobbered
he's still #2 by a long shot...with 22 people eating lots of his dust
slack