Author Topic: The 2020 thread....  (Read 444509 times)

Re: The 2020 thread....
« Reply #615 on: May 31, 2019, 01:00:22 pm »
In somewhat good news
...looks like Nevada is just a signature away from adding it's 6 votes to the National Popular Vote interstate compact
Looks like I was being optimistic that a Dem gov would sign this :(

and Felons...
although he did give 70k felons the right to vote in the same day!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 01:16:31 pm by Is it just me... ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

gavroche

« Reply #617 on: May 31, 2019, 01:27:46 pm »
So I don't know what the middle ground is here.  I just get concerned of throwing the baby out with the bathwater.
I assume that your stance is there is no reconciliation for past bad behavior
I too struggle with this, but I felt his 'crimes' were pretty low level...but still offensive none the less...

Will it hurt the Dems chances to take the house...I'm not sure
I think he has had a very documented history of doing things for the African American community and I think they will remember that

I believe there should be no tolerance for sexual harassment in the workplace and that it should be doubly so for public servants.  Being a politician SHOULD require higher standards.  No individual politician is worth sacrificing the moral high ground for.

I think this is morally true, but also strategically so. The R's gain strength by breaking government (which proves their theory that government is broken) and double down on racism and misogyny.  The D's can only be successful by governing well and being strong against racism and misogyny. 

As for Northam, I do not see how having a racist Gov and a rapist Lt Gov can do anything but hurt turnout in an off year state wide election.  It just creates a sense that there are no good politicians, and that both sides are the same.  For a party thats base is women and minorities, that feeling is incredibly damaging in the long term.

I also think that the Dems push to attract corporate money (the Bill Clinton strategy) has undermined the party.  Same deal with Labour in the UK. Without the worker vs. capital dichotomy it was necessary to find a new "other" to explain inequality.  The D's haven't found one.  The R's are able to other immigrants, minorities, Muslims, etc... It was smart politics in the short term, but damaging long term.  That's how I feel about Biden (and his ilk).  He might be the best chance to win now, but long term I think his politics are unstable.

nkotb

« Reply #618 on: May 31, 2019, 03:19:21 pm »
gavroche knows what's up

« Reply #619 on: June 04, 2019, 11:30:52 am »
 I like this idea
 as we already know what the senate will do if we impeach any earlier

Impeach Trump on the day before the election

Rather than beginning impeachment proceedings tomorrow, Democrats should take the next year to continue investigating and litigating to obtain the documents and testimony they need. They then should summon the House from its regularly scheduled summer recess in 2020 to launch official impeachment hearings that would culminate during the Republican National Convention from August 24-27, 2020. Instead of proceeding to a vote after both sides have presented their cases, as would be customary in normal times, Speaker Pelosi could make up some smirking Mitch McConnell nonsense about how Democrats need to think about this for a really, really long time. Then, in the most devastating move possible, she should recall her caucus either the Friday or Monday before the November election to officially vote to impeach the president. Members can fly in and out of D.C. for the roll call vote and be back in their districts by mid-day. Good night and good luck.

President Trump would lose his mind. A sitting president has never run for re-election after getting impeached, let alone been forced to contest the election prior to a Senate trial. It would create absolute bedlam for his campaign. Contrary to the n-of-1 Clinton era conventional wisdom, getting impeached does not actually boost your reputation.

it would also remove the most common political objection to the process, which is that the Senate will never convict him, and that his acquittal will give him a huge boost heading into the election.
slack

« Reply #620 on: June 04, 2019, 11:39:14 am »
also...must say I'm liking Warren's  "Green Manufacturing Plan"
gonna cost a lot of bacon tho...but it really would be the kind of investments the Gov't should be making

The three elements of Warren's plan include...

Green Apollo Program:
Focused on clean energy manufacturing, the program would invest $400 billion in funding toward "clean energy research and development."
    Green Industrial Mobilization:
A $1.5 trillion investment to purchase "American-made clean, renewable, and emission-free energy products for federal, state, and local use, and for export."
    Green Marshall Plan:
A new federal office focused on selling green, American-made products abroad that calls for $100 billion in investment towards "assisting countries to purchase and deploy this technology."
slack

« Reply #621 on: June 05, 2019, 02:23:18 pm »
now this shit is getting real
Chipotle may raise burrito prices
slack

« Reply #622 on: June 10, 2019, 10:24:20 am »
I'm starting to agree with this line of thought
Beto, Hickenlooper and Montana Gov. Steve Bullock should run for Senate instead of continuing to pursue presidential ambitions.

The filing deadline in Texas  Dec. 9, meaning a decision will have to come just under two months prior to the Iowa caucuses.
Colorado and Montana, the deadlines in both states occur after Super Tuesday,

there would still be 20 candidates running!
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #623 on: June 10, 2019, 10:50:52 am »
Who would Beto lose to this time?

« Reply #624 on: June 10, 2019, 10:56:49 am »
John Cornyn

And he did lose, but was a nail biter for a state that is DEEP Red

Ted Cruz      4,260,553    50.89%    
Beto O'Rourke    4,045,632    48.33%    

200k in 8mill is pretty close

now he's got the name recognition too
So I think he has a better chance at being a senator than being the next Dem
slack

nkotb

« Reply #625 on: June 10, 2019, 11:11:50 am »
Yeah, it's staggering to me that Beto took this leap. I'm sure he had a lot of establishment folks in his ear about it (I think those Pod Save dip shits really backed him...their production company even produced that Running with Beto thing on HBO), but to blindly assume the momentum of running against a toad like Cruz would translate to a presidential run seems like such a bad miscalculation.

John Cornyn

And he did lose, but was a nail biter for a state that is DEEP Red

Ted Cruz      4,260,553    50.89%    
Beto O'Rourke    4,045,632    48.33%    

200k in 8mill is pretty close

now he's got the name recognition too
So I think he has a better chance at being a senator than being the next Dem

« Reply #626 on: June 10, 2019, 11:33:22 am »
Yeah, it's staggering to me that Beto took this leap. I'm sure he had a lot of establishment folks in his ear about it (I think those Pod Save dip shits really backed him...their production company even produced that Running with Beto thing on HBO), but to blindly assume the momentum of running against a toad like Cruz would translate to a presidential run seems like such a bad miscalculation.

He did raise a Significant amount of money from outside of texas (like $25Mil)
My mom (FL/NY) and I know an number of people here in the DC are who supported his senate run

Now mostly because they hate Cruz, but he's got the kind of charisma we need in a presidential candidate

But I think he should WIN a senate seat first or Govnership...then run in 2028 or 2032
slack

nkotb

« Reply #627 on: June 10, 2019, 11:45:36 am »
Beto isn't really my cup of tea (he's all style and zero substance IMO), but obviously I'd support him against Cruz. You couldn't ask for a better race to gain national attention...young, good-looking, punk rock-loving dude clearly ripping off Obama vs. loathsome melted gargoyle.  It's not wonder everyone was invested in him.

But transitioning immediately from a loss to a presidential run seems like it would only hurt you long-term, where as staying local and winning would just build the brand.

He did raise a Significant amount of money from outside of texas (like $25Mil)
My mom (FL/NY) and I know an number of people here in the DC are who supported his senate run

Now mostly because they hate Cruz, but he's got the kind of charisma we need in a presidential candidate

But I think he should WIN a senate seat first or Govnership...then run in 2028 or 2032

« Reply #628 on: June 10, 2019, 11:49:55 am »
sounds like we agree....
slack

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #629 on: June 10, 2019, 12:04:05 pm »
(he's all style and zero substance IMO),
It worked for Barack Obama.
LVMH