Author Topic: The 2020 thread....  (Read 444016 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: The 2020 thread....
« Reply #870 on: August 19, 2019, 04:55:38 pm »
in chicago, the dead vote all the time.
<sig>

nkotb

« Reply #871 on: August 19, 2019, 05:14:51 pm »
The polls are good for illustrating general trends like Bernie tanking and Warren rising but not for predicting a winner

Hmmm.....

« Reply #872 on: August 19, 2019, 05:23:24 pm »
The polls are good for illustrating general trends like Bernie tanking and Warren rising but not for predicting a winner

Hmmm.....

Can we get a little explanation of what the difference is in these two images?
other than the first one has Sanders crushing the US and the second doesn't have sanders
slack

nkotb

« Reply #873 on: August 19, 2019, 05:31:32 pm »
First map is how much I love Bernie.  Second is how much I'd like Warren if there was no Bernie.

Might be behind a paywall (https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/08/02/us/politics/2020-democratic-fundraising.html), but essentially map 1 is a heat map of where the bulk of each candidates donor base comes from.  Map 2 is the Times having to remove Bernie's base entirely to see practically anyone else outside of a few folks' homebase.

It's a pretty interesting set of maps, especially when you see who's running strong in areas with wealth concentration.

Hmmm.....

Can we get a little explanation of what the difference is in these two images?
other than the first one has Sanders crushing the US and the second doesn't have sanders

« Reply #874 on: August 19, 2019, 05:50:58 pm »
looks like trump is going to cut our payroll taxes...as if the deficit wasn't high enough let lower incoming revenue even more!

great way to get votes tho...
Don't think it's going to stop this recession
slack

gavroche

« Reply #875 on: August 19, 2019, 06:03:56 pm »
looks like trump is going to cut our payroll taxes...as if the deficit wasn't high enough let lower incoming revenue even more!

More like: Trump is going to ask Congress to cut the payroll tax.  Puts Dems in a hard spot, because its a regressive tax that absolutely kills the accounting for Social Security.  But if they don't go along, Trump can try to peg the recession on them.   

« Reply #876 on: August 19, 2019, 06:12:27 pm »

More like: Trump is going to ask Congress to cut the payroll tax.  Puts Dems in a hard spot, because its a regressive tax that absolutely kills the accounting for Social Security.  But if they don't go along, Trump can try to peg the recession on them.
God they need help with spin...dems just suck at messaging

team trump needs a bumper sticker (or a tweet) the dems have to put out a 64 page report that no one will read
slack

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #877 on: August 19, 2019, 09:17:38 pm »
Cutting the FICA tax can only work if the salary cap is removed, or at least raised significantly.
😐 🎶

gavroche

« Reply #878 on: August 19, 2019, 09:33:48 pm »
Cutting the FICA tax can only work if the salary cap is removed, or at least raised significantly.

I agree, but there is no way that the cap is raised or removed.  Especially since Obama actually had a FICA holiday on his watch.  This is going to be an absolute mess for the Dems.

challenged

• Instagram

nkotb

« Reply #880 on: August 20, 2019, 10:40:48 am »
I think these things are generally harmless and can be fun, but man, they're trying really hard to make something out of this.

I don't have time for this.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/08/19/us/politics/presidential-campaign-songs-playlists.html

nkotb

« Reply #881 on: August 21, 2019, 10:14:47 pm »
Inslee's out. Bummer...not only is his climate plan radical but hes one of the few folks running that has a real distinct voice and focus.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 10:22:40 pm by nkotb »

« Reply #882 on: August 21, 2019, 10:23:46 pm »
Inslee's out. Bummer...
Not surprising, I really did like him and his message
but I knew it was doomed

One thing I thought stood out with him, is he often would talk up some big idea and it would sound so lofty and then he would say "we did that in the state of Washington" and that's putting your money where your mouth is.  A lot of people have no idea what it would be like to run something so complex as the United States and how a President has to work with tons of groups of people to get things done (not rule like the king of the jews)
governors/Mayors are the only one's who have real world experience at that kind of stuff. 
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #883 on: August 22, 2019, 01:46:40 am »
Inslee (...) has a real distinct voice and focus.

but that was his problem, he's a single-issue candidate.  and while we should all be on board with his single issue - nothing else more important at this point - it just won't capture the nation's attention.

yet.
<sig>

nkotb

« Reply #884 on: August 22, 2019, 07:59:32 am »
Climate crisis isn't a "single issue" though...but I can't blame folks for not paying attention when it gets 10 short minutes in the debates.

My point was out of a field of 25 candidates we have MAYBE 6 with any policies/positions that really standout. It's a bummer hes out while the rest of them argue over the millimeters of space between them. But that's the way the cookie crumbles I guess

Inslee (...) has a real distinct voice and focus.

but that was his problem, he's a single-issue candidate.  and while we should all be on board with his single issue - nothing else more important at this point - it just won't capture the nation's attention.

yet.