Author Topic: The 2020 thread....  (Read 443980 times)

Re: The 2020 thread....
« Reply #885 on: August 22, 2019, 08:56:11 am »
I do think that Inslee had an impact on the current dialogue about climate change and that we should be grateful for

Honestly it's all about how the messaging is on climate change....I think there is an effort to make these statements that "we'll make more jobs and money" when in fact the best approach if for everyone to sacrifice a little (or maybe even a lot) ...and Americans are really not that good at that, we pride ourselves on our gluttony

Maybe he'll become the Head of the EPA or a good cabinet position(yes we gotta win first)
The candidates had much nicer things to say about him compared to Swalwell exit

he stood out from all the other old white dudes...to me at least
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 08:59:50 am by greatly disloyal - hatch ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

nkotb

« Reply #886 on: August 22, 2019, 09:13:35 am »
Agreed, both about his impact and the messaging.  I think we had some candidates that already recognized climate as the issue of our time, but not enough really treated it as an existential threat.  I'm glad his voice and focus on it kind of made it hard to not shift the focus a bit, though it still seems like an add-on to some of these folks.  messaging-wise, though, it's hard...I think it's a really easy thing to convey exactly how climate crisis can impact anyone (i mean, without hyperbole it affects every aspect of our lives) and I think the folks that treat it accordingly do a good job of pointing that out.  But you need a media willing to treat it as a serious thing, and they flat out refuse. Not that I think Inslee would've won, but I think given the proper attention, he would've gone further.

I do think that Inslee had an impact on the current dialogue about climate change and that we should be grateful for

Honestly it's all about how the messaging is on climate change....I think there is an effort to make these statements that "we'll make more jobs and money" when in fact the best approach if for everyone to sacrifice a little (or maybe even a lot) ...and Americans are really not that good at that, we pride ourselves on our gluttony

Maybe he'll become the Head of the EPA or a good cabinet position(yes we gotta win first)
The candidates had much nicer things to say about him compared to Swalwell exit

he stood out from all the other old white dudes...to me at least

hutch

« Reply #887 on: August 22, 2019, 09:16:41 am »
His impact with the average American was zero

Twitterverse or politicalheads are not America

The guy was barely registering in the polls and we want to say he had impact? Maybe negative impact

« Reply #888 on: August 22, 2019, 09:16:58 am »
your boy had something to say today about it
Bernie Sanders launches $16 trillion climate change plan
slack

« Reply #889 on: August 22, 2019, 09:18:37 am »

The guy was barely registering in the polls and we want to say he had impact? Maybe negative impact
I didn't say the voter...I meant on the platforms of the candidates and what was being discussed
correct...99% of the US didn't even know he was running
slack

nkotb

« Reply #890 on: August 22, 2019, 09:22:30 am »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D

I know I'm biased (and obviously he's the best), but he's had a serious week: killer criminal justice reform, Workplace Democracy plan and now this. 

your boy had something to say today about it
Bernie Sanders launches $16 trillion climate change plan

nkotb

« Reply #891 on: August 22, 2019, 09:23:08 am »
Hutch why do you constantly tear down other Democrats. You're the reason Trump won!!!

hutch

« Reply #892 on: August 22, 2019, 09:23:27 am »
Today I announce my $88 quintillion climate change plan

About as credible and relevant....Bernie will never be president but he can damn well make sure, again, Trump is

Democrats with a chance to win the nomination would be wise to hold off announcing grandiose spending plans lest Trump use it against them in the general

nkotb

« Reply #893 on: August 22, 2019, 09:25:59 am »
Hutch, your negativity is giving Trump what he wants. OWN THAT YOU CAUSED HIM TO GET REELECTED!!!!!!!!

Today I announce my $88 quintillion climate change plan

About as credible and relevant....Bernie will never be president but he can damn well make sure, again, Trump is

Democrats with a chance to win the nomination would be wise to hold off announcing grandiose spending plans lest Trump use it against them in the general

hutch

« Reply #894 on: August 22, 2019, 09:26:32 am »
Hutch why do you constantly tear down other Democrats. You're the reason Trump won!!!

The only one I tear down is Bernie because he is not a Democrat and with the help of bozos like you got Trump elected

Saying someone is barely registering is not tearing them down...just fact

Saying someone helped elect Trump and isn’t even a Democrat is tearing them down

nkotb

« Reply #895 on: August 22, 2019, 09:28:16 am »
 :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

« Reply #896 on: August 22, 2019, 09:33:44 am »
I 100% agree on this...
The only one I tear down is Bernie because he is not a Democrat
and this...
I think this is going to be Bernie's problem...he's got very few friends and allies in the Democratic party as he's made a career distancing himself from them
Unless he pulls a Trump and changes the whole Democratic establishment...he's never going to get their support
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 09:37:25 am by greatly disloyal - hatch ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

« Reply #897 on: August 22, 2019, 09:39:55 am »
Hickenlooper says he's running for Senate

also
Per AP, Inslee will announce he's seeking a 3rd term as governor.
slack

gavroche

« Reply #898 on: August 22, 2019, 12:16:30 pm »
I 100% agree on this...
The only one I tear down is Bernie because he is not a Democrat
and this...
I think this is going to be Bernie's problem...he's got very few friends and allies in the Democratic party as he's made a career distancing himself from them
Unless he pulls a Trump and changes the whole Democratic establishment...he's never going to get their support

Why is providing for Americans suddenly off the table?  Trump's tax cuts have blown up the budget deficit, he's building concentration camps and a stupid wall, and he's jacked up military spending, so he he's suddenly going to be credible on fiscal responsibility.

We can debate whether the government should provide health care or build renewable energy, but it's clear that markets aren't giving us either of those things at the levels we need.

Sure recent Democratic candidates have all been neo-liberal centrists.  But they have mixed results.  Clinton won twice.  Gore and Kerry lost.  Obama won twice.  Clinton lost.  We honestly don't know that a neo-lib would do better than a social democrat because it's been 40 years since one ran on the national level.

hutch

« Reply #899 on: August 22, 2019, 12:22:59 pm »
Providing for Americans is great! Just do it once you are elected

I like what Warren is saying though...she proposes a way to pay for things I think most Americans would support

However I think candidates should keep the specifics to a minimum until the general; the smart play...even then offer as few as you can get away with

Some people think Americans vote on policy but most Americans just don’t

However announcing mega spending is just dumb

Look at Trump...he announced he was going to cut spending and got elected...has he cut spending?