Author Topic: The 2020 thread....  (Read 453871 times)

nkotb

Re: The 2020 thread....
« Reply #900 on: August 22, 2019, 12:27:39 pm »
I like Hutch's approach: don't tell people what you plan to do or how you plan to do it, and definitely don't give the public any tangible reasons why you would improve their lives and material needs.

hutch

« Reply #901 on: August 22, 2019, 12:31:58 pm »
Well unfortunately nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people

Broad guidelines are fine...having people know what you stand for great

Telling people you will spend X trillion on this is moronic

The main thing is for the American people to “like” you....it’s been proven over and over again that is what wins elections

Americans will vote for who they like more over who serves their interests over and over again...

« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 12:38:25 pm by hutch »

nkotb

« Reply #902 on: August 22, 2019, 12:48:36 pm »
Americans will vote for who they like more over who serves their interests over and over again...

Boy do I have good news for you then :)

https://morningconsult.com/2019/01/10/americas-most-and-least-popular-senators-q4-2018/

hutch

« Reply #903 on: August 22, 2019, 12:50:07 pm »
Well I was speaking about the presidential election

You know it to be true....crack all the jokes you want...deep down you know

« Reply #904 on: August 22, 2019, 01:00:27 pm »

https://morningconsult.com/2019/01/10/americas-most-and-least-popular-senators-q4-2018/

Bernie Sanders maintained his position as America’s most popular senator, with 64 percent of voters in his state approving of him
that isn't nation wide
slack

gavroche

« Reply #905 on: August 22, 2019, 01:01:29 pm »
The main thing is for the American people to “like” you....it’s been proven over and over again that is what wins elections

So lets just center on this.  Will people like candidates more if they have an ambitious image of what American can be, or if they say we can't do that because it costs too much?  Do you get more mileage based on being "reasonable" or based on being visionary? 

All I'm saying is that the conventional wisdom from the Democratic party is that they need to be reasonable to win... but they don't have a great track record of winning. 

Republicans have decided not to be reasonable.  They have a slightly better track record of winning, but more importantly, they've gotten more out of their wins and reset the system in the process.

It might be that Biden really is the most electable candidate, but it's really just conventional wisdom that says that.  I'm skeptical of it.

hutch

« Reply #906 on: August 22, 2019, 01:16:08 pm »
I mean like to have a beer with you or hang out for coffee

Do you think anyone would pick Bernie or Warren over Trump

nkotb

« Reply #907 on: August 22, 2019, 01:21:22 pm »

Do you think anyone would pick Bernie over Trump

Yes

Do you think anyone would pick Warren over Trump
[/quote

I think it's less certain than Bernie based on available metrics (which we all know after 2016 are horseshit, but...) I still think it's possible. I'm not as confident, though.

hutch

« Reply #908 on: August 22, 2019, 01:24:10 pm »
But you are delusional

nkotb

« Reply #909 on: August 22, 2019, 01:29:57 pm »
Also, you are 100% right...I did a quick google search while on a call and grabbed the incorrect article. Wanted the national polling.

I thought I had seen a more recent one, but I can't one that isn't based on their home state.  A recent Quinnipiac has Bernie second (admittedly, behind Biden): https://poll.qu.edu/national/release-detail?ReleaseID=2591. But this is from December, so well before Biden a) joined the race and b) started brain hemorrhaging on live TV.

I think the fact of the matter is, if we're using the metric of "no one cares about policy but does care about who they like", you're be foolish to think that excludes Bernie.  But I also don't think "popularity" or "electability" really mean anything, at least in the way they're typically used.

Bernie Sanders maintained his position as America’s most popular senator, with 64 percent of voters in his state approving of him
that isn't nation wide

gavroche

« Reply #910 on: August 22, 2019, 01:30:21 pm »

Do you think anyone would pick Bernie or Warren over Trump

How would you rank the Dems in terms of who you want to drink with?

nkotb

« Reply #911 on: August 22, 2019, 01:31:56 pm »
You typically throw out statement and then refuse to answer questions about them, so it's OK if you ignore this.  But tell me...by what metric do you gauge who would beat Trump?  You have to have some reason (hopefully) more than your gut. I'd really be interested!

But you are delusional

nkotb

« Reply #912 on: August 22, 2019, 01:38:28 pm »
I like this game. Here is my list, but it's less about "do i like their policies" and more "would it suck to be stuck talking to them for an hour":

Michael Bennet (No)
Joe Biden (No)
Bill de Blasio (No)
Cory Booker (Yes, but only because I'd likely be close to Rosario Dawson)
Steve Bullock (No)
Pete Buttigieg (No)
Julián Castro (I wouldn't turn him down for a beer, but I wouldn't seek him out)
John Delaney (No)
Tulsi Gabbard (Sure)
Kirsten Gillibrand (Again, wouldn't turn her down, but I wouldn't seek her out)
Kamala Harris (No)
Amy Klobuchar (No, she'll whip the glass at my head)
Wayne Messam (No)
Seth Moulton (No)
Beto O'Rourke (No)
Tim Ryan (No)
Bernie Sanders (Yes)
Joe Sestak (No)
Tom Steyer (No)
Elizabeth Warren (Yes)
Marianne Williamson (Yes, but I'd probably regret it)
Andrew Yang (No, it would cut into my monthly $1000 stipend)

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #913 on: August 22, 2019, 01:41:41 pm »
I feel Beto would be super fun to drink with, just a terrible President.
LVMH

« Reply #914 on: August 22, 2019, 01:42:14 pm »
like to have a beer with
I do think this is how Republicans judge as they would prefer an everyman to a know-it-all

Me, personally, I'd like someone who knows the fuck what they are doing and has a plan
and can think on their own two feet

not someone to play darts with...
I think my president should be smarter than me (although that's not saying much) and really doesn't have time to go 'get a drink'
slack