Author Topic: COVID-19 2020  (Read 386277 times)

Space Freely

Re: COVID-19 2020
« Reply #1185 on: May 15, 2020, 01:39:15 pm »
this pic speaks volumes

I really wish I could just stick an apple in trumps mouth

Who are the guys on the far left and far right? Guessing the left is Azar the right is who?

It's probably been a long time since Trump has had an apple in his mouth.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #1186 on: May 15, 2020, 02:42:01 pm »
Man alone at sea for 3 months emerges to a changed world. Immediately after stepping off his boat, he immediately hugged in defiance of social distancing order.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/world/2020/05/15/canada-man-at-sea-new-zealand-coronavirus-pandemic-pkg-vpx.tvnz

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1187 on: May 15, 2020, 04:23:53 pm »
It seems likely that with a imcreasedt testing they will catch more of the asymptomatics. So it will be tough for the number of daily cases to decrease if the are catching a higher percentage of the positives.

... aaaaaand this is exactly why trump doesn't want more testing: if you look, you'll find.
<sig>

Space Freely

« Reply #1188 on: May 15, 2020, 04:45:35 pm »
It seems likely that with a imcreasedt testing they will catch more of the asymptomatics. So it will be tough for the number of daily cases to decrease if the are catching a higher percentage of the positives.

... aaaaaand this is exactly why trump doesn't want more testing: if you look, you'll find.

Sure, but in addition to discovering how contagious this thing is, even with social distancing, they're discovering how much less lethal it is than originally thought.

hutch

« Reply #1189 on: May 15, 2020, 05:18:18 pm »
I don’t get that

I mean over 100,000 have died counting the undercount...with stay at home orders everywhere

Not to mention we don’t know the long term impact on the health of many that survive their battle or related illnesses or syndromes

Where you expecting a million to have died by now Space?

I really cannot stand anything that even closely minimizes the death toll

Again I know four people that have lost family to covid...one person lost two people

Maybe it’s your stats/technocratic background or work but the way you keep describing things relating to covid kind of comes across as insensitive at best and heartless at worst

Again, we have lost over 100,000 Americans WITH serious stay at home/social distancing protocols in place

Space Freely

« Reply #1190 on: May 15, 2020, 07:27:42 pm »
I don’t get that

I mean over 100,000 have died counting the undercount...with stay at home orders everywhere

Not to mention we don’t know the long term impact on the health of many that survive their battle or related illnesses or syndromes

Where you expecting a million to have died by now Space?

I really cannot stand anything that even closely minimizes the death toll

Again I know four people that have lost family to covid...one person lost two people

Maybe it’s your stats/technocratic background or work but the way you keep describing things relating to covid kind of comes across as insensitive at best and heartless at worst

Again, we have lost over 100,000 Americans WITH serious stay at home/social distancing protocols in place

https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america

Look at the first graph. I'm not going to add up every day, but the number of estimated cases is over 10 million through May 15. Even if you use 100K deaths (their estimate was 89K through May 15), that's still only a 1% death rate. The survival rate for those 80+ who get it is still 80%.

33% of the deaths have been people in nursing homes. Whereas 0.5% of the population live in nursing homes. It seems like we should be strictly quarantining nursing home residents and their caregivers and to a lesser degree anybody over 65 and anybody with a comorbidity. Not closing school next year and purposely causing the Great Depression 2.

Thankfully, it seems like the governors agree with me.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #1191 on: May 15, 2020, 07:39:41 pm »
I don’t fully agree with Space (or even mostly agree) but I do think making an analysis of what number will die and how that number changes if we do or don’t do _____ is not, on its face, crass and beyond the pale like some are acting.

If hardcore social distancing and keeping restaurants/salons/etc closed changes the death toll nationwide by 5,000 (a ridiculous figure I am making up) I think as a society we have an obligation to discuss if that’s a reasonable payoff for all the other things that come along with those three months.

I feel this has become so politicized (equally so on the left, of which I will remind everyone I am a member of) that reasonable, logical, sober discussions of this are pretty much impossible. You just get rampant value signaling by all sides and the mindset that anyone who makes a slightly different decision/value equation than yourself must be called out as a heretic. It’s not helpful.
LVMH

Space Freely

« Reply #1192 on: May 15, 2020, 08:04:21 pm »
So basically the fatality rate is less than 1%, not 3-5% as was originally feared.

I'm not questioning the three month shutdown at all. I'm just saying it can't go on forever. There may never be an effective vaccine.

Very much agree with Julian's final paragraph.

Have a good weekend, y'all.

hutch

« Reply #1193 on: May 15, 2020, 10:38:22 pm »
The side effects such as 36 million unemployed and millions probably losing health care are more a product of the way our economy is organized than the stay at home orders. There are many countries with stay at home orders where the unemployment numbers have barely moved and not one person has lost health care. Blaming it all on covid is in a way facile. It really should not have been that difficult to keep it together for a few months. We didn’t even try.

The idea behind the stay at home orders was to flatten the curve so as to buy time to increase readiness but if our government can’t do that then the problem is our government not covid or the thinking behind the plan

I don’t see my views as political but ethical. And  I just try to listen to scientists and health experts. At the end of the day everything is political I suppose

I do think schools should reopen, elderly care facilities should have special measures, etc.      Reopening must happen and some cost will be borne.

Not going to lie though: I find it distressing to see so many buying into the Republican framing on this but have at it...It ain’t going to affect me or my immediate family. I ain’t going back out there. I assume in the fall my kids will go back to school and I am ok with that but I ain’t going to be attending concerts or eating out until I think it’s safe.

Texas had 2000 new cases today. Why? Erroneous public policy at odds with what scientists and health care experts said we should do but if we want to take the Texas model national let’s go

It’s convenient for many to blame every problem on the shutdown but it’s not quite that simple
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 10:50:01 pm by hutch »

hutch

« Reply #1194 on: May 16, 2020, 02:45:03 pm »
Equilibrium is the word

We need to find the equilibrium

Space Freely

« Reply #1196 on: May 18, 2020, 09:47:21 am »
Myrtle Beach, last night. Did I see Julian at the 3 minute mark?

https://www.facebook.com/Yarields/videos/10158644086101454/

hutch

« Reply #1197 on: May 18, 2020, 10:05:02 am »
When you tell people testing doesn’t matter, 100,000 dead is a good job, fight for your freedom and anyways it just kills old people it’s obviously hard to keep people social distancing

Trump and Republicans won the framing... so enjoy opening up America

We will see what happens...maybe it works out and covid19 disappears and people stop dying...anyway it’s not lethal really..I mean the percentage of people who die is low..we do have 330,000,000 people so why inconvenience so many for so few?

« Reply #1199 on: May 18, 2020, 01:45:16 pm »
slack