Author Topic: COVID-19 2020  (Read 386341 times)

Space Freely

Re: COVID-19 2020
« Reply #1305 on: June 15, 2020, 11:55:00 am »
This idea of kids going to school for one or two days a week is going to be a mess. Especially for the two earner families with younger children

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #1306 on: June 15, 2020, 12:03:20 pm »
Well I'm not agreeing that your co-worker's solution is right, but being metabolically healthy is key to COVID survival
most who are dying have: Obesity, hypertension, diabetus and such

Elderberries are chockfull of antioxidants such as vitamins A and C and various flavonoids and there are some studis saying it can reduce (not prevent) the lenght of colds/flu..
So there are benefits in being a healthy supplement and providing gut health, but I would not say a specific covid remedy

I'd be a little skeptical of Pineapple juice...as it's tons of sugar
so unless you fresh squeeze it, you are not getting all the said benefits and mostly sugar
it does have some interesting properties and in small doses has lots of pluses

Antioxidants are not helpful in large quantities. This is a myth you can easily learn about with a simple google search. People just assumed that if a little is good, then a lot must be better.  Sadly, the human body doesn't work that way.  It's more accurate to think of free radicals and antioxidants as being part of a homeostatic system.  I could rant on this for hours, but you'd have to be willing to be educated on the topic for it to be worthwhile.

tl;dr - don't believe the hype when it comes to antioxidants

hutch

« Reply #1307 on: June 15, 2020, 12:06:08 pm »
Sidehatch has a side of him that is into this gooblegook

I think he gets it from his wife but could be wrong

I recall telling him years ago my kid was on autism spectrum and him suggesting a gluten free diet

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #1308 on: June 15, 2020, 12:12:01 pm »
This is why I prefer science-based medicine.

hutch

« Reply #1309 on: June 15, 2020, 12:14:16 pm »
I prefer science based medicine too

But the issue with the covid crisis is it’s not just a science issue...

Covid is a science issue.... the crisis is not

Epidemiologists seem to miss that point

rich_WDC

« Reply #1310 on: June 15, 2020, 12:32:46 pm »
Covid is a science issue.... the crisis is not

This is such a key notion and integral in how we and those in legislative, support, and oversight roles need to figure out everything.

« Reply #1311 on: June 15, 2020, 12:37:17 pm »
of course science

...but food is medicine
gut health is critical to overall health
the biggest killers are the disease's that if people could prevent with a healthy diet
people just want a pill and not have to work to be healthy
most of these diseases take decades to kill...but layer COVID on top...deadly in weeks

Antioxidants are not helpful in large quantities.

I could rant on this for hours, but you'd have to be willing to be educated on the topic for it to be worthwhile.
I never said that they were helpful in large quantities (chockfull I guess where you get that?)
but there are benefits and there have been studies

Honestly, the best way to get them is through food, but sometimes supplements are warranted

I'd be happy to hear your 'rants' on nutrition, but not sure others would be as excited
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 12:43:58 pm by GymJ vs Hellboy ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|lıl »
slack

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
« Reply #1312 on: June 15, 2020, 12:43:47 pm »
Food isn't medicine.

Food is food. Medicine is medicine.

You can kill yourself with food, or you can feed yourself with food.

The "gut health" craze was based on a preliminary study that hasn't really played itself out. Marketers and new age con men jumped on that idea and flooded the market with unsupported claims and dubious products.  Doesn't mean there isn't something there, but it does mean that you should rely on credible scientific sources if you want to learn more about it. And definitely don't rely on "natural news" or purveyors of probiotics.  You're likely to be duped into handing over your money for snake oil.

« Reply #1313 on: June 15, 2020, 12:45:58 pm »
Marketers and new age con men jumped on that idea and flooded the market with unsupported claims and dubious products.  ....  You're likely to be duped into handing over your money for snake oil.
I 100% agree on this

but I think that eating food that is overly processed, lacks actual nutrition and is high in sugar is going to kill you faster

I disagree with your take on gut health...
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 12:50:34 pm by GymJ vs Hellboy ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|lıl »
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1314 on: June 15, 2020, 12:57:28 pm »
This is why I prefer science-based medicine.
<sig>

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
« Reply #1316 on: June 15, 2020, 02:04:20 pm »

hutch

« Reply #1318 on: June 15, 2020, 02:31:47 pm »
You did set him up heilung!!

« Reply #1319 on: June 15, 2020, 02:38:02 pm »
I disagree with your take on gut health...

Oh, is that based on science?
my gut ;)

Does this work
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3983973/  2013

Nevertheless, as the critical role of the heretofore “ignored organ”—the gut microbiota—in health and disease has come to be recognized, so has the possibility that modifying the flora might be of therapeutic benefit.

I will add this was said too
. These factors must be taken into account when interpreting changes in the microbiota reported in disease states, and caution should be exercised in attributing a causative role to microbial changes seen in any disease state until much more is known of the primacy of these changes in that disorder.

Here is another NIH one
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7196170/
Linking gut microbiota with the human diseases  Feb 2020
The relationship between the host metabolism and the human gut has been discussed using known data in literature in this review. It showed differences in the gut microbiota contribution among different host causing dysbiosis leading to various form of diseases in human
Data on the composition of microbiota and its contribution will help link with potential diseases and its cause for effective combat and care.
Application of microbiota-based treatment, prognosis, diagnosis, and monitoring will exhibit great role in transforming the current treatment in disease management.

Again I 100% agree there are a lot of snake oil salesmen out there

Although...wish I'd read this one Snake Oil years ago
Massaging your hair with snake-oil can prevent hair loss and split ends.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 02:44:50 pm by GymJ vs Hellboy ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|lıl »
slack