Author Topic: The Home Improvement Thread  (Read 53104 times)

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
Re: The Home Improvement Thread
« Reply #180 on: August 26, 2020, 11:54:47 am »
Keller Williams
Does sound like the name of a realtor liked by Phish phans
Is there Phish/Keller Williams beef? (Jam beef? Beefjam?)

Keller Williams just sold out a pod concert at the Washington Football Team's training facility here in Richmond in like 30 minutes and I honestly thought he was a dude who, like, mostly filled but did not sell out 9:30-size venues so I was surprised.
LVMH

« Reply #181 on: August 26, 2020, 12:05:59 pm »
I was just joking because I have heard of Keller Williams Realty.  I just could imagine a Phish Phan called Keller

I forgot there was that artist Keller Williams too and it's spelled exactly the same

http://highway81revisited.com/keller-williams-stakes-out-his-own-music-real-estate/
“It’s been around for a long time,” Keller said of the inevitable Realtor queries that he admits have grown stale. He’s got no ties to the realty company.
But “after a couple of cocktails, I AM Keller Williams Realty. I have a whole spiel I go into. It can be fun. After a while, after a couple drinks, I can start swinging houses: ‘It’s a buyer’s market. If you’re looking for something, let me know.’”
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #182 on: August 26, 2020, 01:09:58 pm »
Dunno, I haven’t even seen 2.5 Even advertised
But if it’s in black and white, it’s a done deal

Every lender wants a credit check, so that prevents mass requests
But I have no idea,
I do know there are different rates for zip codes.  So maybe sweets is in the sweet spot

indeed, 2.5% wasn't advertised.  once a year we hire a financial advisor to go over our finances, and generally get a pat on the head for being good little savers.  we had our annual meeting about 6 weeks ago, and among his recommendations he suggested refi'ing.  he had some personal connections to folks in the lending industry and hooked us up.  we settled on two prospective lenders and played them off of each other.  between that, a good credit score and a safe loan (it's for less than half the value of the house)... we got lucky.
<sig>

« Reply #183 on: August 26, 2020, 01:54:26 pm »
we settled on two prospective lenders and played them off of each other.  between that, a good credit score and a safe loan (it's for less than half the value of the house)... we got lucky.

This part I don't understand.
Did you basically get a quote from one and say to the other "this is the term sheet from this vendor, can you beat it" then when they do go back to the first guy and do the same?
Or did you put them both in a cage and do this

The credit score is THE most important part to getting the best rates
Having a lot of equity is a big factor too
Some lenders have leeway on the closing costs, but rarely can do anything with the rates they get
There is always points, which there is rarely a good argument for, but if the lender paid some of the the points to get the rate down (but made that cost up in their closing costs)...maybe
Did one have a lower rate, but higher closing costs?  You should do that math.  Did you wrap the closing costs into the loan (so no out of pocket)
and because of that were the loans for the exact same amount?

Again...all this conjecture means nothing....that you have a signed doc with that rate on it...priceless and non-negotiable after the fact

slack

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #184 on: August 26, 2020, 02:00:55 pm »
But “after a couple of cocktails, I AM Keller Williams Realty. I have a whole spiel I go into. It can be fun. After a while, after a couple drinks, I can start swinging houses: ‘It’s a buyer’s market. If you’re looking for something, let me know.’”
Incredible.
LVMH

Space Freely

« Reply #185 on: August 26, 2020, 02:18:18 pm »
Incredible.

I wonder if there are any realtors, who after a couple drinks, can jam like Keller Williams? Hopefully not.

WALKonBack

« Reply #186 on: August 26, 2020, 04:40:08 pm »
But I have so many more terrible real estate jokes I am holding in escrow.

But yet, you seem so earnest to deposit them.   I have to admit, as an agent . . . I found these, to be, quite amusing.

WALKonBack

« Reply #187 on: August 26, 2020, 04:44:15 pm »
I actually get to post in this thread, for its intended meaning.  After 15 plus years of living in a cedar sided home . . . we are going to replace the entire siding with a concrete composite that looks like wood.  No fuss, no muss, no more fucking wood boring bees.

Thank God one of our good friends owns his own contracting company, to give us discounted breaks.   The cost with those breaks, is, upsetting.

« Reply #188 on: August 26, 2020, 04:53:24 pm »
Hardieplank is the bomb.
Love the look of cedar, but the maintenance it a bitch

The one thing you should also be prepared for...they are going to find water damage/termites or something somewhere on your house that you'll need to repair too
slack

WALKonBack

« Reply #189 on: August 26, 2020, 05:13:17 pm »
You should see, what the salamanders have done.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #190 on: August 26, 2020, 05:28:24 pm »
we settled on two prospective lenders and played them off of each other.  between that, a good credit score and a safe loan (it's for less than half the value of the house)... we got lucky.

This part I don't understand.
Did you basically get a quote from one and say to the other "this is the term sheet from this vendor, can you beat it" then when they do go back to the first guy and do the same?

basically that's what we did.  the whole thing was very personal, we chatted on zoom and the phone with each lender several times.  so on a call we'd learn that lender #1 was offering 2.7% and X fees/points/etc., we then shoved that in the face of lender #2 and got them down to 2.6%, a quick volley across the net yielded 2.5% at which point the competition was out.  all done with smiles and how's-the-missus-doing... oddly pleasant.

Did one have a lower rate, but higher closing costs?  You should do that math.  Did you wrap the closing costs into the loan (so no out of pocket)

we definitely did the math.  fees did creep up a bit as interest rates went down, but not by much and much less than what we'd be saving over the life of the loan.

home financing is so rock 'n roll.  gawd we're edgy.
<sig>

« Reply #191 on: August 26, 2020, 05:37:49 pm »
home financing is so rock 'n roll. 
as punk as nearbeer

Think they should have named it Str8 Edge AF instead
slack

« Reply #192 on: August 31, 2020, 04:33:43 pm »
Update

Just got a quote of TwoPointFuckingFIVE% from my lender (and no deathmatch required)
no points, and $2k credit on the closing costs
Lots of paperwork in my future

To think this is the thread that we lost yada on :(
slack

hutch

« Reply #193 on: September 10, 2020, 01:37:47 pm »
Toilet won’t stop running

I cut off water

Before I call marines plumbing

I am guessing a valve or something has gone bad

Looking forward to paying $150 for a 25 cent valve and 5 minutes of someone’s time

hutch

« Reply #194 on: September 29, 2020, 11:43:01 am »
I should have been a plumber...