Author Topic: The Home Improvement Thread  (Read 80659 times)

Re: The Home Improvement Thread
« Reply #435 on: May 14, 2024, 12:33:56 pm »
My style is more just not mowing at all….
can confirm
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #436 on: September 09, 2024, 01:39:19 pm »
Sorry to hear of your dogs ordeal.

The thing about the “yard work noise pollution” aside that always cracks me up is: what do you want people to do exactly? You cannot just NOT mow your lawn or take your leaves. In Richmond, it’s literally a civil violation and they’re going to send DPW out to do it and bill you.

So many people hate the sound of yard work and I guess I get the specific complaint if someone is doing it at 5am but it’s literally an unavoidable evil until silent lawnmowers are made. It’s not someone specifically being a jerkass.

Here,  there are certain times when yard noise is allowed and when yard noise it not.

We have neighbors who used to let their barking dog(s) out at 6:30 every morning, even on weekends. They ALWAYS woke us up. We anonymously left them a note with the quiet hours, and it's been fine since.

What my wife doesn't get is that EVERYONE does yardwork. And everyone does it at differing times. That's why it's going to be nonstop.

Of course, different people do different things. I have a very quiet push mower and rake my leaves. Some of these tiny dick guys around here use a riding mower to mow their quarter acre yard.

My wife thinks raking leaves is completely unnecessary. She thinks if you just leave it, it will all turn to mulch. While that may work if you have one small tree, I probably have the most leaves of anyone on my block. I literally bag up by hand 25+ tightly packed bags a year from my one small lot. And of course she says since it's "unnecesary work," it doesn't count when she says "I do way, way more housework than you."

hutch

« Reply #437 on: September 09, 2024, 02:13:26 pm »
My lawn mower broke like three months ago….yard is looking rough

I don’t give a shit

Julian, White Poet WARLORD

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #438 on: September 09, 2024, 02:14:01 pm »
My wife thinks raking leaves is completely unnecessary. She thinks if you just leave it, it will all turn to mulch.
Insane. I'm not a yard guy at all (I live in a city and do my 12' x 8' pocket yard with a weed wacker), but that's nuts.
LVMH

« Reply #439 on: September 09, 2024, 02:54:31 pm »
My style is more just not mowing at all….
can confirm
My lawn mower broke like three months ago….yard is looking rough

I don’t give a shit
confirmed
slack

« Reply #440 on: September 09, 2024, 02:58:24 pm »
My wife thinks raking leaves is completely unnecessary. She thinks if you just leave it, it will all turn to mulch.
few things on this
lots of animals thrive and lay their eggs in leaves, so it's recommended to leave the leaves at very least in all your beds until the spring

also if you are mowing, just keep mowing, it will break the leaves into small pieces that will mulch and break down easier
You might have to do an extra pass to really break them down
Although, if you have a lot of leaves...this may not work

but if you just leave them and they are Oak leaves, those things last forever and may take years to break down
slack

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #442 on: September 09, 2024, 04:17:59 pm »
Many documented and undocumented people find productive work in landscaping, and rely on the faster and more powerful gas-powered leaf blowers (and other noisy machines) to maximize the number of jobs they can finish in a day. The NIMBYs won the battle to eliminate the top tier tools of the trade. When it starts taking longer to finish their lawns and the price goes up, they'll begin complaining about that too, without realizing they're the cause of their own misery.

What would they do if someone told them they had to use Windows 95 to finish their Excel spreadsheets, and the better / faster / more advanced tools were now illegal?

« Reply #443 on: September 09, 2024, 04:27:50 pm »
there is the noise, but 2 stroke Mot0rs on the blowers pollute more than a dozen cars

Using a gas leaf blower for an hour creates as much pollution as driving a car for 1,100 miles.
slack

Blow, me, Joey

« Reply #444 on: September 10, 2024, 09:59:25 am »
I just had to replace a microwave, washer, dishwasher, and now the outside AC unit.

Do yourself a favor . . . get, a decent home warranty plan.

« Reply #445 on: September 10, 2024, 11:51:33 am »
not sure about that, have heard its actually hard to get paid on those
A good thing to add as a Value Add when selling a home, but was told to not renew as they rarely pay out

I just dropped a lot of Benjamin's on a new dishwasher and would be curious if they would have covered that...my thought it no
slack

nkotb

« Reply #446 on: September 10, 2024, 12:23:17 pm »
We got one when we bought our home and it really paid off.  $60 for any service, no matter how long...had a guy here for like 8 hours snaking our main kitchen drain to get rid of a clog the previous owner left for us, and it didn't cost us a cent more.  Covered a bunch of HVAC and other stuff.  Got so much out of it they refused to pick us up for the second year.

Space Freely

« Reply #447 on: September 10, 2024, 12:31:23 pm »
I finally had a handyman out to look at some of my current issues last week. Doors, drywall, roof leak, The guy came out and said he has crews that can do it all. He said he would email me an estimate and they'd be able to do the work this week.

In spite of my follow up email, I've received no further contact. This is pretty typical with these handymen, isn't it?

« Reply #448 on: September 10, 2024, 12:51:05 pm »
We got one when we bought our home and it really paid off.  $60 for any service, no matter how long...had a guy here for like 8 hours snaking our main kitchen drain to get rid of a clog the previous owner left for us, and it didn't cost us a cent more.  Covered a bunch of HVAC and other stuff.  Got so much out of it they refused to pick us up for the second year.
first person I heard who made out on one of these, IMO they are like the "electronics warranties" at best buy, almost never pay off

It's good to get when buying home...as you really have no idea what the life span will be, interesting that they dropped you
there are tons of providers out there, why didn't you just get a new policy
slack

Julian, White Poet WARLORD

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #449 on: September 10, 2024, 12:57:51 pm »
not sure about that, have heard its actually hard to get paid on those
I used to run group homes for adults with intellectual disabilities and we had these on all of our houses and I was stunned how many free appliances we got with virtually no questions asked. I have no idea why they kept renewing our policy.

YMMV.
LVMH