Author Topic: How to end systemic racism?  (Read 26335 times)

hutch

Re: How to end systemic racism?
« Reply #105 on: July 01, 2020, 04:09:03 pm »
Some people disagree but I don’t think there should be one monument or statue to anything having to do with the confederacy...traitors

Even graves in public lands..if they really want to they can say “Here lies a confederate traitor to the United States of America”... a friend of mine - Sidehatch knows him..Bryan..- thinks I am unreasonable but to me you simply can’t have any official recognition of the confederacy as anything other than traitors

On private land do what you want..that’s different in my eyes

And this actually has nothing to do with systemic racism.. countries just shouldn’t allow monuments to traitors..it’s like Country 101!!somewhere along the line things got way messed up in the US

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #106 on: July 01, 2020, 04:29:11 pm »
And this actually has nothing to do with systemic racism.. countries just shouldn’t allow monuments to traitors..it’s like Country 101!!somewhere along the line things got way messed up in the US

i would argue that those status have everything to do with systemic racism.  white racists were able to put them up because of systemic racism.  they served as reminders of oppression.

imagine if an african american community put up a large monument to someone who was famous for targeting and killing whites.  that statue would be torn down faster than it went up, if they allowed it to be erected at all.  yet here we are, 150+ years since the first jim crow-era confederate statue were erected, and we're just getting around to removing them.  if you have an explanation for this other than systemic racism, i'm all ears.

i also agree with your point that countries shouldn't glorify traitors.
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
<sig>

hutch

« Reply #108 on: July 01, 2020, 04:44:19 pm »

i would argue that those status have everything to do with systemic racism.  white racists were able to put them up because of systemic racism.  they served as reminders of oppression.

imagine if an african american community put up a large monument to someone who was famous for targeting and killing whites.  that statue would be torn down faster than it went up, if they allowed it to be erected at all.  yet here we are, 150+ years since the first jim crow-era confederate statue were erected, and we're just getting around to removing them.  if you have an explanation for this other than systemic racism, i'm all ears.

i also agree with your point that countries shouldn't glorify traitors.

yawn sweetcell just yawn...get off your self virtue horse. Obviously I agree with what you write but nothing I write said otherwise..stop being a blockhead

What I am saying is that the reason I don’t think they should have ever gone up has nothing to do with racism..I don’t need to oppose racism to think they shouldn’t be there..numskull

It has to do with the fact that we don’t put up monuments to traitors

« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 04:46:40 pm by hutch »

hutch

« Reply #109 on: July 01, 2020, 04:56:45 pm »
And trust me..all this stuff about statues and names....yeah, kind of important..in general am in agreement but

Kind of not going to end systemic racism either

You know what will help?...$...trillions of them... white peeps in fancy neighborhoods giving a shit about schools in inner cities would also help

This business about statues and names on buildings is an easy cop out..until white people are willing to give up $ ain’t nothing going to change other than statues and names on buildings

I am hearing ZERO on this..it’s all “hey look we ain’t going to name this building after Woodrow Wilson!! Yeah we are really ending systemic racism!”

It’s kind of weak sauce...but hey if it makes white peoples feel good

You want to make change to end systemic racism? Donate $5 here..they help kids graduate high school, get in college etc...that’s change..the rest is a nice story to help you go to bed at night

https://risedc.org/
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 05:00:22 pm by hutch »

« Reply #110 on: July 01, 2020, 05:01:41 pm »
Some people disagree but I don’t think there should be one monument or statue to anything having to do with the confederacy...traitors
umm I don't know too many non-maga types who think that
surprises me about B, but then again...

I think Germany should be a model for how it's done

There was soo much racism in the south and it was all power-related
So generation after generation being told this is OK and they really like to show their power over blacks in the south by naming things and putting statues at courthouses.  I was a clear message, has very little to do with remembering history...it was about the present

I think there are a lot of great things and people in the South and I wish there was a unifying symbol they could show to show their southern pride...but the battle flag of an army that killed more Americans than all other wars and were OK with enslaving humans...no fn' way

Honestly, I'm shocked that 60 years after the civil rights movement that they were all still standing

And Trump holding up a 3/4 trillion bill 'names of bases are like the most important things to the families of soldiers who died fighting for our country"
WTAF... I can only imagine that most of them hate those bases because they did boot camp and it was miserable and have no connection to the wars they fought in.  such f'd up logic

Kind of not going to end systemic racism either

It’s kind of weak sauce...but hey if it makes white peoples feel good
I agree.  I do think it sends a message through. I do think it's an important first step
But just A STEP in a marathon that needs to be run

I think the property tax=school thing is SUCH BULLSHIT
that is racist 100%
They are PUBLIC schools...the pubic should fund them
If you are rich, go to a private school if you don't like the public school....but goddamm you are going to pay some taxes to support all the schools in your state
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 05:09:13 pm by Side-Hoax ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|lıl »
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #111 on: July 01, 2020, 05:52:35 pm »
And this actually has nothing to do with systemic racism.

i would argue that those status have everything to do with systemic racism. 

I agree with what you write but nothing I write said otherwise..

i'm confused.  but please, carry on...
<sig>

hutch

« Reply #112 on: July 01, 2020, 06:08:54 pm »

It’s not that hard Sweetcell : my opposition to confederate statues is because they are statues to traitors...I never meant to say statues to racists have nothing to do with racism and the fact you seem to read it that way is kind of insulting frankly

But yeah let’s debate and nitpick over this...that will end systemic racism!

« Reply #113 on: July 08, 2020, 12:55:44 pm »
yes renaming things and toppling statues doesn't really end this...but this seems to be the thread for this

Never really thought about how renaming DC might be on the list...
D.C. is a 68-square-mile monument to Columbus. Here’s what we could rename it.
this opening made me chuckle

Christopher Columbus never explored the waters of the Chesapeake — until Saturday.

Protesters in Baltimore, on the Fourth of July, pulled down a statue of the Italian sailor in the city’s Little Italy, then hauled him, or what was left of him, to the Inner Harbor and rolled him into the water with a splash

Some possibilities for a D.C. without Columbus:
Disenfranchised Citizenry
Democracy Crushed
Defrauded Citizens
Deplorable Colonialism

Alternatively, we could tweak Trump by reminding him what his neighbors think of him, by renaming D.C. “Democrat City” or “Deep-state Central.”
slack

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #114 on: July 08, 2020, 12:56:54 pm »
Back to the roots!  Dark Chocolate!  Wait, no.

hutch

« Reply #115 on: July 08, 2020, 12:58:34 pm »
F the acronym just name it Chocolate City!

« Reply #116 on: July 09, 2020, 11:55:26 am »

*disclaimer...this will not end systemic racism...but it sure feels good
slack

hutch

« Reply #117 on: July 09, 2020, 12:01:35 pm »
Ending systemic racism happens one day at a time...one action at a time

I think BLM is great cause its awakening new generations to the ongoing struggle

I am reading a book about hip hop culture..the first 100 pages - all I have read so far- are mainly about the Bronx in the early 1970s...we have come so far from the 1970s...still a long way to go though

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
😐 🎶

Space Freely

« Reply #119 on: July 13, 2020, 10:34:34 am »