Author Topic: 2021 Albums  (Read 26201 times)

StoneTheCrow

Re: 2021 Albums
« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2021, 06:42:41 pm »
I'll admit that I didn't read the Pitchfork review.  But I did see the score and figured they nailed it. So I moved on.

I don't ever read Pitchfork reviews. Cause they suck.

Space Freely

« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2021, 08:01:01 pm »
I'll admit that I didn't read the Pitchfork review.  But I did see the score and figured they nailed it. So I moved on.

I don't ever read Pitchfork reviews. Cause they suck.

I don't read their reviews normally, but I saw a gem of a line from the review elsewhere that made me seek it out

« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2021, 11:24:50 pm »
saw a gem of a line from the review elsewhere that made me seek it out

was it this Foo Fighters Return With Another Album Of Inconsequential Music because that is Onion level headlining there
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2021, 08:50:27 am »
saw a gem of a line from the review elsewhere that made me seek it out

was it this Foo Fighters Return With Another Album Of Inconsequential Music because that is Onion level headlining there

Maybe, or maybe it was this one:

Grohl’s lawful-good lifestyle presents an eternal conflict between being unable to hate the guy and being unable to enjoy the music he continues to make.

Or maybe it was something else:

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/foo-fighters-medicine-at-midnight/

What is  a "lawful-good lifestyle?" Does Dave need to shake things up a little bit and do a shot of tequlla and get a DWI arrest to shake his lawfully good image?

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2021, 09:58:24 am »
That doesn’t make any sense. Typical Pitchfork.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2021, 10:31:32 am »
i gave up on the review when i saw this

"continue to plow through albums with one thankless goal in mind: to keep the dying institution of rock alive."

i personally don't need to wade through thousands of people cranking out non rock tunes on Soundcloud, i'll stick to rock

like Oasis albums, one shouldn't really pay close attention to the lyrics on a Foo's album.  that said i did catch myself the other day with a chorus from the album bouncing around.
T.Rex

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2021, 10:40:52 am »
For all the crotchetiness about Pitchfork, its a fairly untenable position for any of you to disagree with any of the following:

- the Foo Fighters/Dave Grohl has not put out good music in at least one decade if not two
- the band's current output is unremarkable and not noteworthy
- people who listen to the band's current output are doing so out of some curmudgeonly loyalty to a genre; a genre by whose standards the current output is subpar
- Dave Grohl has become an anodyne, milquetoast figure with just the right amount of "loudness" to avoid fully being lumped in with the Frank Turners of the world
- the fanbase of the Foo Fighters is one that is increasingly aging, out of touch, and likely has a favorite chair
LVMH

« Reply #67 on: February 17, 2021, 10:42:33 am »
i gave up on the review when i saw this

"continue to plow through albums with one thankless goal in mind: to keep the dying institution of rock alive."

i personally don't need to wade through thousands of people cranking out non rock tunes on Soundcloud, i'll stick to rock
This argument is ass, my dude. "I can't be bothered to read an entire review or listen to other music so trust me when I say the Foo Fighters are still great." You're literally bragging about your closemindedness. OK, grandpa.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 10:44:18 am by Julian, Adroit TASTEMAKER »
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #68 on: February 17, 2021, 10:56:30 am »
For all the crotchetiness about Pitchfork, its a fairly untenable position for any of you to disagree with any of the following:

- the Foo Fighters/Dave Grohl has not put out good music in at least one decade if not two
- people who listen to the band's current output are doing so out of some curmudgeonly loyalty to a genre; a genre by whose standards the current output is subpar
- Dave Grohl has become an anodyne, milquetoast figure with just the right amount of "loudness" to avoid fully being lumped in with the Frank Turners of the world
- the fanbase of the Foo Fighters is one that is increasingly aging, out of touch, and likely has a favorite chair

Wrong!!!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wasting_Light

Yada

« Reply #69 on: February 17, 2021, 11:02:53 am »

There's the Julian we've all grown to love!

Space Freely

« Reply #70 on: February 17, 2021, 11:06:38 am »

Wrong!!!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wasting_Light

I haven't heard that album, so can't comment (like some former board characters would)....but it did come out a decade ago. So it wouldn't  disprove his point.

« Reply #71 on: February 17, 2021, 11:09:36 am »
Dave Grohl stopped being a musician who put out interesting music a long time ago. He continues to sell out buildings on the basis of his back catalogue and exists, almost entirely, as a mascot for a certain era of music. This is all very, very similar to Bruce Springsteen. This is probably as spot-on as Pitchfork has been in a long while.
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #72 on: February 17, 2021, 11:10:28 am »
Less than a decade ago smarty pants!!

April 2011!!

hutch

« Reply #73 on: February 17, 2021, 11:11:25 am »
I thought people liked the new Springsteen?

hutch

« Reply #74 on: February 17, 2021, 11:12:40 am »
All these people saying the Foos suck who haven’t listened to them in decades

Comical