Author Topic: City Winery goes under, blames crime  (Read 10039 times)

Thousand Made-Up Loves

City Winery goes under, blames crime
« on: December 17, 2022, 10:21:11 am »
I had not been to City Winery before, which is too bad because I heard on this board that it was a decent place to see a show. I find it kind of preposterous that the proprietors of City Winery are blaming neighborhood crime for the venue closing. Did Ivy City actually get worse in the five years that City Winery was open? I highly doubt it.

Anyway, Ivy City has always been a pain in the ass to reach without driving. I find it absurd that there isn't a single decent bus line going up and down NY Ave NE. A major blind spot in DC transportation and WMATA service.

https://wtop.com/dc/2022/12/popular-dc-winery-to-close-citing-safety-concerns/

Starsky

Re: City Winery goes under, blames crime
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2022, 10:23:42 am »
Wow…didn’t see this coming!

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2022, 01:16:56 pm »
Yeah that’s a lame excuse
I am sure the costs to open In ivy city were almost 1/3 to open anywhere
Because it was still a sketchy area

If anything safety has increased 1000% in that area

Sour grapes IMO
Although any business that made it through the last 2 years to throw in the towel now seems crazy
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2022, 04:00:31 pm »
Yeah that’s a lame excuse

TAN: Starbucks is closing a number of locations in downtown Seattle due to "safety concerns."  the city does have an acute homelessness problem, and there has been an uptick in violence.

in a completely unrelated coincidence, SBUX HQ assures us, those locations happen to be newly unionized stores.  what are the chances!
<sig>

Yada

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2022, 05:18:01 pm »
Terrible location,  Terrible bookings, Terribly uncomfortable seeing a show there  (twice since it was open)... I mean, same issue with birchmere,  annapolis ram's head, etc... it just sucks no matter which way you cut it sitting at a dinner table watching a show.

So I think a lot of circumstances add up, but yes the location is Terrible.

Space Freely

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2022, 06:44:15 pm »
The best brewery in the city is right down the street, and their taproom is at about 25% capacity on a Friday night.

I wonder how the ax throwing place is doing?

bellenseb

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2022, 11:52:26 am »
Terrible location,  Terrible bookings, Terribly uncomfortable seeing a show there  (twice since it was open)... I mean, same issue with birchmere,  annapolis ram's head, etc... it just sucks no matter which way you cut it sitting at a dinner table watching a show.

Depends on the show. I saw Magnetic Fields and Loudon Wainwright there and it was basically perfect IMO. Assigned seats, good sound and views, decent food, free water (!), easy to find parking in the neighborhood. Some shows it's nice to sit down especially if you're of a certain age.

That said I won't go to the Birchmere even though I live down the block from it. The whole rigamarole to get you to buy their terrible food ,pay water, crammed seating...just not worth it.

Yada

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2022, 12:13:29 pm »

Depends on the show. I saw Magnetic Fields and Loudon Wainwright there and it was basically perfect IMO. Assigned seats, good sound and views, decent food, free water (!), easy to find parking in the neighborhood. Some shows it's nice to sit down especially if you're of a certain age.

That said I won't go to the Birchmere even though I live down the block from it. The whole rigamarole to get you to buy their terrible food ,pay water, crammed seating...just not worth it.

I don't mind it if it's a full table of people you know, but when some pear shaped gent's legs are bumping into mine or they're yackin' with their date the whole show, I don't enjoy it.

Starsky

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2022, 01:13:48 pm »
I can’t stand seated shows. Horrible

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2023, 07:01:02 am »
 not that this one incident was the reason, but I noticed the reporting of this horrific story is she was there to see a concert

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/virginia-woman-killed-in-stabbing-inside-hotel-room-in-northeast-dc/3321310/
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2023, 07:43:33 am »
not that this one incident was the reason, but I noticed the reporting of this horrific story is she was there to see a concert

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/virginia-woman-killed-in-stabbing-inside-hotel-room-in-northeast-dc/3321310/

Geez Louise. That guy should get the death penalty.

Hutch

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2023, 08:31:57 am »
Horrible story.

Those hotels are really motels and sketchy as fuck. Never stay in a motel where the rooms are directly accessible from the parking lot.

I didn’t realize that was Ivy City. No wonder City Winery shut down.

that judge that released the killer…..

Space Freely

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2023, 08:46:36 am »
Horrible story.

Those hotels are really motels and sketchy as fuck. Never stay in a motel where the rooms are directly accessible from the parking lot.

I didn’t realize that was Ivy City. No wonder City Winery shut down.

that judge that released the killer…..

I think it kind of depends where it's located. I've stayed in motels like that a million times, especially when I was younger and poorer. I wouldn't do it in Ivy City though. Though I go to Ivy City for beer at Other Half every month or two.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2023, 09:00:28 am »

Geez Louise. That guy should get the death penalty.

Hutch

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2023, 09:02:54 am »
Well I agree those motels aren’t an automatic guarantee you will be stabbed  30 times and die….most of the time you will be ok.