Author Topic: On the Eve of the new Season...  (Read 1412811 times)

Barcelona

Re: On the Eve of the new Season...
« Reply #540 on: July 30, 2007, 06:26:00 pm »
And who was going to say that Atletico de Madrid was going to steal a player from Real Madrid. Great!!!

godsshoeshine

« Reply #541 on: July 31, 2007, 11:21:00 am »
are you guys selling deco or what?
o/\o

brennser

« Reply #542 on: July 31, 2007, 11:50:00 am »
I'm on the record in this thread as thinking that Adu is one of the most overrated players of all time. Has he done ANYTHING at Real Salt Lake this year?

They'll have him for breakfast in Portugal.....

Originally posted by vansmack:

Originally posted by god's shoeshine:
  interesting. would not have guessed that
All talk, apparently.

This makes much more sense:

Updated: July 30, 2007
 MLS star Adu poised to sign for Benfica
 Soccernet

LISBON (AFP) - Freddy Adu, the most recognisable name in the Major League Soccer, was on Monday poised to sign a five year deal with Portuguese side Benfica.

The Ghana-born Adu, 18, was twice named an MLS All-Star - in 2004 and 2006 - helped DC United capture the 2004 MLS Cup during his rookie season.

According to press reports here Benfica have already paid out 1.5 million euros to recruit the United states international.

Benfica are also due to sign Argentina duo Angel Di Maria and Andres Diaz. [/b]

godsshoeshine

« Reply #543 on: July 31, 2007, 11:58:00 am »
he was the best player at the under-20's. that's enough for a deal
o/\o

vansmack

« Reply #544 on: July 31, 2007, 12:33:00 pm »
Originally posted by brennser:
  I'm on the record in this thread as thinking that Adu is one of the most overrated players of all time. Has he done ANYTHING at Real Salt Lake this year?

They'll have him for breakfast in Portugal.....

I was firmly in your camp until I saw him surrounded with some decent talent in the Gold cup and Fifa Under 20.  He plays well with others around him that know how to run to open space.  At DC and Real SL, his individual skills shine, but he looks like a ball hog because after he beats one player and there's no one to pass to, he turns it over.  That wasn't the case when the Americans that play in Europe were around him in the Gold Cup and Under 20's.  

I'm not saying he's the next Pele because he's not (nor did I ever think he would be), but he's going to be good with other good talent around him.  Portugal will suit him fine.
27>34

Summerteeth

« Reply #545 on: July 31, 2007, 02:37:00 pm »
Isn't Newcastle really just another mid-table club, though?

Originally posted by vansmack:

his sister apparently got arrested in some sort of smack crack ring back in june

on one hand he seems like the type of player that sam takes from being a misfit to a solid contributor, but on the other he's had 8 years and never shows much, and at 28 how much more does he have left. i say if someone offers £5 million take it, get him off of the wage books

supposedly we have cash, but who could we get?
He's been around that long?  I guess I've always thought of him as younger since we've all been waiting for him to "turn the corner" so to speak.

I hear Tevez is still available and apparently anybody but Liverpool can have Heinze.  I have to wonder if all of those young midfielders who trasferred earlier to mid-table clubs are kicking themselves for not waiting a little bit.  I'd love to set-up Owen all season long at New Castle rather than whomever they're setting up now. [/b]

godsshoeshine

« Reply #546 on: July 31, 2007, 03:05:00 pm »
every other midtable team has michael owen? interesting
o/\o

vansmack

« Reply #547 on: August 03, 2007, 03:37:00 pm »
4.15pm update

West Ham finally agree to release Tevez

Premier League ratifies deal which frees striker's way to Manchester United

Friday August 3, 2007
 Guardian Unlimited

One of this summer's most arduous transfer sagas appears to have come to a close after West Ham confirmed that they have agreed a £2m settlement with Media Sports Investments, the representatives of Carlos Tevez, which will allow the striker to leave the club.

Tevez, who passed a medical at Old Trafford this morning with a view to a two-year loan deal, is expected to be confirmed as a Manchester United player early next week, when the move's official paperwork goes through.

The agreement confirms that West Ham have a valid player's contract with Tevez and that they hold his playing registration. United, meanwhile, will pay around £5m per year, and have the option of making the deal permanent.

Tevez will earn around £3.5m a season and could make his debut against Reading at Old Trafford on Sunday week.

The Premier League has ratified the deal, revealing it is satisfied that West Ham had behaved in line with their undertakings when they terminated the third-part deals with Joorabchian in April. "The Premier League can confirm that its board has received and considered a proposal for the settlement of the dispute between Carlos Tevez and West Ham," read a statement.

"The decision of the board, having received leading counsel's opinion, is that the agreement reached is compliant with the rules of the Premier League and consistent with the undertakings given by West Ham United to the Premier League board at various times since April 27 2007. This will lead to the cancellation of Tevez's registration, thereby releasing him to join another club in due course."

Joorabchian confirmed the agreement brings to a close the legal proceedings he had set in motion against the club. "We are delighted that a settlement has been reached between all parties to secure Carlos Tevez's move from West Ham United to Manchester United," said Joorabchian.

"Our primary concern has always been to resolve this issue amicably and to allow Carlos to pursue his ambition to play for Manchester United. Carlos is looking forward to being a Manchester United player and his ambition is close to being achieved. We would like to thank Manchester United for all their patience and support throughout."

The West Ham chairman Eggert Magnusson was relieved the affair has finally been concluded. "All parties involved can now move on and truly focus on the new season," he said. "I wish Carlos Tevez well for the next stage of his playing career. He is a fine player and I am sure he will be successful wherever he plays football. Personally, I am looking forward to the next stage of our development as a club and for what I hope will be a very exciting new season in the Premier League."
27>34

godsshoeshine

« Reply #548 on: August 10, 2007, 11:07:00 am »
are we going to talk about THE EVE OF THE NEW SEASON today

i am trying REALLY REALLY hard not to get my hopes up too high. but, i am glad that i have something to do saturday mornings again
o/\o

vansmack

« Reply #549 on: August 10, 2007, 11:28:00 am »
Well, I'm about to get on a plane to start the season with my brother-in-law, yet another Man U supporter, but I'll be in the airport for a while so why not?

I think Alan Smith is going to make The Toon tougher up front, but the deficiencies in the back haven't been shored up yet.
27>34

godsshoeshine

« Reply #550 on: August 10, 2007, 11:46:00 am »
hard to believe last year ended with sibierski being an automatic upfront selection

rosenthal, enrique, and cacapa are all nice additions, but the biggest move was finally getting rid of stupid ass bramble. and all of this for just 14 million? shows how bad freddy/roeder were

smith might see some time in the midfield too
o/\o

Barcelona

« Reply #551 on: August 10, 2007, 12:21:00 pm »
  are you guys selling deco or what?
I'm afraid that wither Deco or Ronaldinho will leave Barcelona before the end of the month. Milan are trying to do the impossible to get Ronaldinho. As for Deco, I thought Chelsea wanted him, but I am not sure now since Ballack said no to Madrid (now I like him!).

vansmack

« Reply #552 on: August 10, 2007, 12:23:00 pm »
  smith might see some time in the midfield too
He didn't quite work out as well as United hoped as a midfielder.  Though Fergie will never admit it publicly, he signed Smith with the hopes of replacing Keane, but Smith wasn't up to the task of being the stopper.  But up front with Rooney?  See the second leg of the Roma Champions League match for the answer to that question.  I think he'll compliment Owen nicely - he's fearless, just needs to work on his timing.

Bolton is not the most friendly draw for New Castle to start, even before the Allardyce switch.  I'm looking forward to watching that one for sure.
27>34

godsshoeshine

« Reply #553 on: August 10, 2007, 12:34:00 pm »
the theory is that smith might be played more as an attacking midfield or wide player, more to replace dyer. either way he there will be fights for spots, assuming that dukes, mikey and smudger can all stay healthy, or in owen's case get healthy   :roll:
o/\o

vansmack

« Reply #554 on: August 10, 2007, 12:37:00 pm »
  the theory is that smith might be played more as an attacking midfield or wide player, more to replace dyer. either way he there will be fights for spots, assuming that dukes, mikey and smudger can all stay healthy, or in owen's case get healthy     :roll:  
I could see that.  United actually played a 4-3-2-1 in that Roma game and Smith was one of the 2's.

And Barca, I don't see Rhonaldino going to Milan, but I do see Deco leaving.  I think you're right though, he wanted Chelski and with Ballack staying, that makes it tough to see him at Chelski.
27>34