Author Topic: aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh.......  (Read 14772 times)

Re: aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh.......
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2004, 02:31:00 pm »
So what absent candidate would Sharpton voters have voted for? Lieberman?

He got three times as much vote as Mosley Braun.

I don't know much about Moran, but he sounded good the one time i saw him speaking out against the war...

Originally posted by brennser:

The scary thing about living in DC is having to live in a city where 31% of the Dems voted for that nut Sharpton.  
thats a meaningless statistic - only one of the major candidates was even on the ballot (Dean, who won the primary) - if they had all been on the ballot Sharptons tally would have been much lower

Time to move to the burbs with the normal people.  
oh, you mean with the normal people who keep reelecting Jim Moran? [/b]

Guiny

« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2004, 02:32:00 pm »
Originally posted by grotty:
 I guess it's ok though because we're the US and you're an American - fuck 'em.
 [/QB]
Thats my motto, but then again everyone around here already knows that.   :cool:

grotty

« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2004, 02:44:00 pm »
Originally posted by J'Mal:
  The U.S. doesn't deliberately target innocent people for the sake of instilling terror.

If an innocent person dies in an attack on an al qaeda compound, that is hardly equivalent to innocent people dying because their killers intend to kill them, such as at the world trade center.

and no, i don't agree with every aspect of U.S. foreign policy, but in no way can anything the U.S. does be equated to the 9/11 attacks.  and nothing justifies those disgusting massacres.
I agree with all of that.

But, what does that have to do with Irag? When was the last time Iraqis killed Americans (other than when they have been defending their country against the invading armies led by the Bush boys)?

He talked during the speech like he was giving a video game update. "We killed this many...we captured this one..." Then he'd give that little grin. Funny shit - this killing from the oval office.

Seriously - how many have the US killed in Iraq? 20,000...100,000...1,000,000?

It's no coincidence that he spent the first 1/2 hour trying to defend the war. It's amazing that he has gotten off this easy. He lied about the weapons trail; we found none; many Americans have died there (it will probably soon approach the 9/11 number); there's no end in sight; we created a whole entire generation of future terrorists that are going to grow up hating the US; and what did we accompish? We removed someone we didn't like from office. Or even more strangely, someone the current president's dad didn't like.

Just wait till you see what I do to one of my neighbors that I don't like!      :D

ggw

« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2004, 02:47:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
 I don't know much about Moran
He took a personal "loan" from a healthcare lobbyist a couple of days before voting on a healthcare bill.  Only there was no interest on the "loan" and, by all appearances, it didn't look like the "loan" was ever intended to be paid back.

He also got a second mortgage on his house at a ridiculously low interest rate, despite the fact that he was essentially bankrupt.  Coincidentally, about a week after receiving the mortgage, there was a vote that affected the bank that gave him the mortgage.

He's NoVa's answer to Marion Barry.

Read All About It

Celeste

« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2004, 02:52:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  He took a personal "loan" from a healthcare lobbyist a couple of days before voting on a healthcare bill....He also got a second mortgage on his house at a ridiculously low interest rate, despite the fact that he was essentially bankrupt...
this sort of crap reinforces my sense that so many elected officials, whether democrat or republican, are shady opportunists...the good ones just don't get elected...

brennser

« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2004, 02:54:00 pm »
or Kerry, or Edwards, or Clark....whats wrong - does the fact that an overwhelmingly black city threw a few meaingless votes towards a (very charismatic) black politician instead of one from a state that has virtually no black population scare you?

thanks ggw for the nice list of Moran sleaziness - you just beat me to it

« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2004, 02:55:00 pm »
Thanks for the info. I'll keep it stored away for when we move to NoVA.

Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:

Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
 I don't know much about Moran
He took a personal "loan" from a healthcare lobbyist a couple of days before voting on a healthcare bill.  Only there was no interest on the "loan" and, by all appearances, it didn't look like the "loan" was ever intended to be paid back.

He also got a second mortgage on his house at a ridiculously low interest rate, despite the fact that he was essentially bankrupt.  Coincidentally, about a week after receiving the mortgage, there was a vote that affected the bank that gave him the mortgage.

He's NoVa's answer to Marion Barry.

Read All About It [/b]

mankie

« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2004, 03:06:00 pm »

or Kerry, or Edwards, or Clark....whats wrong - does the fact that an overwhelmingly black city threw a few meaingless votes towards a (very charismatic) black politician instead of one from a state that has virtually no black population scare you?

thanks ggw for the nice list of Moran sleaziness - you just beat me to it [/b]
I'm surprised there wasn't a write-in campaign in DC for Marion Barry to run for president.

J'Mal

« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2004, 03:14:00 pm »
ggw, you forget about when moran beat up an 8 year old kid who was supposedly trying to jack him, when he had an all-out jerry springer style bash on his front lawn when wife met girlfriend, and when he said jews were to blame for the war in iraq.  of course, his nose is naturally that hue of red.

edbert

« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2004, 03:14:00 pm »
J'Mal-  At the root of  terrorism is the wicked notion that innocent civilian life is expendable.  Even according to AP, about 6000 civilians have been killed in Iraq.  Yes they were killed deliberately.  When you rain cruise missiles down on cities, you are deliberately killing civilians.  Obviously the 9-11 plan was to take out the twin towers etc, that's no different than our "shock and awe" plan to blow up hundreds of buildings in Iraq, and we have no particular right to say the deaths we caused were incidental.  Bush has no moral standing when it comes to the subject of terrorism; it turns my stomach every time he uses the word.

« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2004, 03:19:00 pm »
Takes a lot of charisma to compare a Jew to Hitler...

In 1987, black teenager Tawana Brawley claimed that six white law enforcement officers abducted and raped her. Those claims and others that her attackers had scrawled racial insults on her body and smeared her with feces were declared a hoax by a grand jury that also exonerated the man at the center of the accusations, then-assistant district attorney Steven Pagones.

Pagones was named as one of the attackers by Miss Brawley's advisers: Maddox, the Rev. Al Sharpton and lawyer C. Vernon Mason. While Miss Brawley refused to speak with authorities or the media, her advisers were soon making wild claims. Jury selection was supposed to have started for the Pagonesâ?? defamation lawsuit, seeking more than $150 million from Miss Brawleyâ??s three advisers when Maddox accused then-state Attorney General Robert Abrams of masturbating over photos of Miss Brawley. Sharpton compared Abrams, a Jew, to Adolf Hitler. All three linked then-Gov. Mario Cuomo to organized crime and the Ku Klux Klan.

But the grand jury within a year announced the story was a hoax and specifically cleared a Fishkill police officer and Pagones.

thanks ggw for the nice list of Moran sleaziness - you just beat me to it [/b]

grotty

« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2004, 03:20:00 pm »
Originally posted by edbert:
  J'Mal-  At the root of  terrorism is the wicked notion that innocent civilian life is expendable.  Even according to AP, about 6000 civilians have been killed in Iraq.  Yes they were killed deliberately.  When you rain cruise missiles down on cities, you are deliberately killing civilians.  Obviously the 9-11 plan was to take out the twin towers etc, that's no different than our "shock and awe" plan to blow up hundreds of buildings in Iraq, and we have no particular right to say the deaths we caused were incidental.  Bush has no moral standing when it comes to the subject of terrorism; it turns my stomach every time he uses the word.
Well said (in my opinion).

Last night, he even used as a defense for the war, something like "diplomacy is useless unless you can back it up". Basically - show them we mean business. That's terrorism in my book.

J'Mal

« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2004, 03:32:00 pm »
Edbert --

nonsense.  blowing up empty government buildings at night, when war has been announced for months, is very different than blowing up skyscrapers full of people at the start of the working day, for kicks.

you may believe the war in iraq was not just.
 you may be right.
 and it may be that part of why the war was unjust is that the civilian casualties did not justify the benefits of  getting rid of saddam, although that's a dubious assertion, continuing saddam would have caused far more suffering to the same people.

all of that is different than saying that innocent iraqi civilians were targeted for death for the purpose of spreading fear.

edbert

« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2004, 03:37:00 pm »
Dude, you don't kill 6000 civilians if you only blow up empty government buildings!    How do you think they died, suicide?

mankie

« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2004, 03:40:00 pm »
Originally posted by edbert:
  Dude, you don't kill 6000 civilians if you only blow up empty government buildings!    How do you think they died, suicide?
DUDE! They're not civilians, they're just collateral damage!   :roll: