Author Topic: Billy Corgan - "I want my Smashing Pumpkins back&qu  (Read 15611 times)

sonickteam2

Re: Billy Corgan - "I want my Smashing Pumpkins back&qu
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2005, 08:56:00 am »
it makes sense really. if you are in a very successful band but your genre of music has run its course, just break up, pretend to do some solo stuff, and then BAM....reunite and tour!

you can go from an old band that wont die (Better Than Ezra) to a reuniting supergroup (the Pixies) in like 5 years, without recording any new music or doing really anything but getting fat!

Sage 703

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2005, 08:59:00 am »
Easily the best news of my year.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2005, 09:01:00 am »
Too bad they cant reunite as a 1992 version of themselves.

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2005, 09:07:00 am »
Originally posted by callat703:
  Easily the best news of my decade.

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2005, 09:09:00 am »
Here's the direct link to the ad, in case the tribune's website is being funny for anyone interested.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/acrobat/2005-06/18118271.pdf

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2005, 09:13:00 am »
this rat prefers to out of the cage thank you very much....
T.Rex

bearman🐻

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2005, 09:26:00 am »
Mellon Collie sold 4.7 million copies? Are you kidding me? Jeez, I didn't realize they did that well. No wonder why Billy wants the Pumpkins back. My favorite time seeing them was still at the Metro in Chicago in 1993, the week that Siamese Dream was released. It just didn't get much better than that.

xcanuck

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2005, 09:35:00 am »
There was a recent interview with Crogan in RS where he said that he didn't see much hope for a SP reunion. That was maybe two issues ago.

Pardon my cynical attitude, but perhaps CD/ticket sales in some markets have been lagging? Perhaps this is something to help boost sales? I dunno...

Don't get me wrong - I'm a huge fan of grunge. PJ, AiC, Soundgarden, and others of their ilk still get rotation in my CD player. But give it up guys - the music has had it's day. Time to move along. Otherwise we'll be seeing Smashing Pumpkins at Jaxx.  ;)

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2005, 09:35:00 am »
Despite all my wealth, I am still just an ugly rat.

brennser

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2005, 09:38:00 am »
yeah, its kinda pathetic actually, a bit like calling people by their screen names in real life

Originally posted by sonickteam4:
  it makes sense really. if you are in a very successful band but your genre of music has run its course, just break up, pretend to do some solo stuff, and then BAM....reunite and tour!

you can go from an old band that wont die (Better Than Ezra) to a reuniting supergroup (the Pixies) in like 5 years, without recording any new music or doing really anything but getting fat!

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2005, 09:41:00 am »
Originally posted by xcanuck:
  There was a recent interview with Crogan in RS where he said that he didn't see much hope for a SP reunion. That was maybe two issues ago.

Pardon my cynical attitude, but perhaps CD/ticket sales in some markets have been lagging? Perhaps this is something to help boost sales? I dunno...

Corgan said "not all four original Pumpkins" almost definitely an allusion to the fact D'arcy is off in cocaine land.

Tickets have sold out for every American show, I'm pretty sure. CD sales will be awful, though, I'm sure.

sonickteam2

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2005, 09:42:00 am »
Originally posted by brennser:
  yeah, its kinda pathetic actually, a bit like calling people by their screen names in real life

?

Sage 703

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2005, 09:55:00 am »
I can understand some of the cynicism about this, but if Billy Corgan wanted to be marketable and really worry about his album sales, I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have released albums like Adore, or put out MACHINA II exclusively on the internet.

And as far as being stuck in grunge land, I personally never really saw the Pumpkins as a grunge band - to me they were much more in the vein of the Cure than the Pixies or Dinosaur.

brennser

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2005, 09:56:00 am »
never mind, wasn't directed at you sonick

but it is pathetic that he's reuniting (trying to at least) smashing pumpkins in the notion that it will somehow recharge his creative batteries

Originally posted by sonickteam4:

Originally posted by brennser:

? [/b]