Author Topic: Warehouse shows  (Read 51449 times)

snailhook

Re: Warehouse shows
« Reply #75 on: June 02, 2004, 01:56:00 pm »
actually, after seeing them last night, i'd say that they need more spontaneity instead of drums. the sloppiness doesn't bother me so much as the academic dryness. i like them, but there's something missing.

walkman

« Reply #76 on: June 02, 2004, 03:48:00 pm »
Originally posted by Captain Jack:
  dude, Et at it?!??
 Are you fucking serious, Eli? Its just like two chicks and a dude inhaling and hiccupping. They need some drums to support their shtick.
philistine!

walkman

« Reply #77 on: June 02, 2004, 03:51:00 pm »
Originally posted by snailhook:
 academic dryness.
that's exactly what it is...obviously not very rock and roll, but I think the tongue is firmly in the cheek...somehow they always make me smile during their live sets.  and it's not like they're gonna play for longer than 30 minutes anyway.

snailhook

« Reply #78 on: June 02, 2004, 04:33:00 pm »
i totally agree, walkie. they played a 20 minute set last night. i like that kind of stuff, but it doesn't affect me as strongly as, say, orthrelm or hella.

Bags

« Reply #79 on: June 23, 2004, 10:33:00 am »
@ Warehouse Next Door!
 Tonite! 6/23 Wednesday!
 6 bux please! 8:30 doors!

UNWED SAILOR
    (members of Dechahedron & Aspera)

NITRO TOKYO
    (members of Dechahedron, Darkest Hour, Fairweather, Frodus)

BREAD AND ROSES

Nitro Tokyo play ironic glam rock in the vein of The Cult, Guns N' Roses and even maybe AC/DC or sumthin'.  Singer "Rezz Gabriel" promises a samurai navajo apocalypse ride on Rt. 66 at 200 mph heading straight to hellfire.

snailhook

« Reply #80 on: June 24, 2004, 05:10:00 pm »
great rock show tomorrow at the warehouse! terminal lovers are from cleveland and represent that city's fine heritage of sloppy-ass decadent rock 'n' roll in the vein of the dead boys and rocket from the tombs.

friday, june 25th @ the warehouse next door (1021 7th St. NW Washington DC)
 all ages, $7,  Warehouse Theater

Thee Snuff Project
 "...Opening for Rocket From the Tombs was the seriously seedy Thee Snuff Project. The local outfit smashed through a set of ragged bursts of noise, taking the traditional guitar-bass-drums-vocalist and injecting it with a bad attitude, some intoxication and smart songs. Fifteen years ago, the band would have been on the AmRep label. In the decidedly un-rock District, it stands out as unaffected by trends and content to make a racket."
 -- The Washington Times

Terminal Lovers
 Cleveland's premier psychedelic rock out-fit featuring the all star cast of Dave Cintron-guitar / vocals (DIMBULB & THE DOWNSIDE SPECIAL), Chris Smith-guitar (KEELHAUL), Steve Mehlman-drums (PERE UBU), Don Depew-bass (BREAKER, COBRA VERDE & GUIDED BY VOICES), and Scott Pickering-drums / percussion (SPEAKER/CRANKER, PRISONSHAKE & MY DAD IS DEAD)).

ME VS. THE MONSTER
 Hailing from Northern Virginia, Me Vs. the Monster brings a collosal dynamic rollercoaster to your ears with some of the catchiest rock and roll around these parts.  Their sound is somewhat reminiscent of what would be a mix of At the Drive In, Refused, and Blue Cheer.  This is their record release show, and with a very developed, unique sound and the stir surrounding them, they have a very bright future ahead of them.

Bags

« Reply #81 on: July 07, 2004, 11:14:00 am »
'80s rap bitches? B-52's bastard daughters? Burgerphilia?
 Nymphomania? Sci fi horror disco? Ghost Boobs? Freedom
 Toast? Duos? Trios? Four-os?

ALL THAT AND MORE at WAREHOUSE NEXT DOOR
 tooooooonite! nite night nite!

ITS........

11:15  GRAVY TRAIN!!!! (Kill Rock Stars)
 10:15  FRENCH TOAST
 09:15  THE VANASHING (GSL)
 08:45  LIPSTICK PICKUPS
 08:30  Doors Open (Come Early!)

++++++++++++++++++++

Warehouse Next Door
 1017 7th St. NW.

++++++++++++++++++++

$8. TONIGHT JULY 7th WEDNESDAY

++++++++++++++++++++

www.rapbitches.com
 www.frenchtoastdc.com
 www.thevanishing.com
 www.lipstickpickups.com

++++++++++++++++++++

With one more ! than !!!, Gravy Train!!!! prepares its  assault on the nation's capital. Describing themselves as,  alternately, "'80s rap bitches" and the "B-52's bastard  daughters," the Oakland, Calif., musicians offer up frantic  bubblegum pop fortified mainly by Casio beats and smart, if often  unsavory, imagery. Founding member and songwriter Chunx  explores such topics as her crappy love life and her  "frightening split affliction of burgerphilia/ nymphomania" with  frank lyrics and attitude to spare. In the song "Ghost Boobs,"  a woman laments her post-diet shrunken breasts: "Gazoyngas  a plenty, back pains she had many!/For such knockers  hooters funbags boys were not even ready.../It was a fad diet,  she had to try it/Chrissy Snow looked pretty hot, so  Thighmaster? Just buy it!" Bandmate Funx provides accompanying  keyboards and vocals, while Hunx and Junx kick in with  harmonies and NC-17-rated dance moves. Come on, ride the train when  the band plays with French Toast and The V! anishing at the Warehouse Next Door, 1017 7th St. NW. $8.  (202) 783-3933. (Anne Marson- Washington City Paper)

++++++++++++++++++++

San Francisco's self-described "sci fi horror disco" trio  THE VANISHING consists of former members of SUBTONIX  (singer/ guitarist/saxaphonist Jessie), THE KNIVES (Jessie &  drummer Brian), Kill Rock Stars' recording artists THE LIES  (keyboardist Sadie), and ZONETECH (Brian). The band formed when  Jessie and Brian departed THE KNIVES in order to start  something "a bit dancier". Upon recruiting Sadie, THE VANISHING  released their debut 10" in Cochon Records in July 2002.  After recording the split EP with LOST SOUNDS (Cochon  Records), the band set about preparing tracks for their debut  full-length release, 2003's "Songs for Psychotic Children".  Sadie decided to leave the band prior to the album's release,  in order to concentrate on her main project, THE HUSBANDS  (with Sara Reed, also from THE LIES, and a revolving group  of guest drummers). She was replaced by Billy from ZONETECH  on keyboards, as well as bass.

snailhook

« Reply #82 on: July 07, 2004, 06:30:00 pm »
gravy train is the kind of thing that could be very good in a bad way or very bad in a good way. i'll be there.

next big show at the warehouse will be growing (kranky records) on 7/14. i've got a whole bunch of stoner and psych coming up in august and september.

snailhook

« Reply #83 on: July 13, 2004, 09:10:00 pm »
at the warehouse next door, 9pm, $7

11pm: growing (kranky records)
 10pm: the wind-up bird (the music fellowship)
 9pm: harm stryker (from richmond, electronic noise duo)

growing are a duo (sometimes a trio) who play guitar-based heavy drone in the vein of earth 2 and sunno))), perhaps a "metal" stars of the lid or flying saucer attack. they play with film projections, so it should be a highly psychedelicized set.

the wind-up bird is part of the music fellowship, which includes bands such as landing, yume bitsu, paik, surface of eceon, etc. it is the brainchild of joseph grimm, who will be performing solo, though he often has a partner to augment the sound. the wind-up bird is mostly electronic/laptop-based, but he coaxes some amazing post-rock sounds out of the computer, sounding more like tortoise than aphex twin or something like that.

harm stryker are a completely electronic duo, though one of them plays a theremin and uses heavily processed vocals. they are very drony and spacy and will kick off the show with a short, trippy set of noise.

redsock

« Reply #84 on: July 14, 2004, 09:47:00 am »
Ok, I've just gotta say something. snailhook, I am always mystified by all the bands you talk about, as I have never heard of a one of them. I mean, I run a music web-site (when not searching for a new job) for cryin out loud. I read and write about a tons of bands, many of whom the masses have never or barely heard of. Yet, 98% of the bands you mentioned, and seem to have known and liked for a while, I've never heard of. Is it cause of their genres? Am I the only one on the board who feels this way? I'm just not sure if I don't know shit about music, or you're just a freak.   ;)

« Reply #85 on: July 14, 2004, 09:52:00 am »
I'll bet you don't know 98% of my music, either.  :)

Or for that matter, 98% of Flawd's music.

Heck, maybe not ever 98% of Guiny's music.

Originally posted by redsock:
  Ok, I've just gotta say something. snailhook, I am always mystified by all the bands you talk about, as I have never heard of a one of them. I mean, I run a music web-site (when not searching for a new job) for cryin out loud. I read and write about a tons of bands, many of whom the masses have never or barely heard of. Yet, 98% of the bands you mentioned, and seem to have known and liked for a while, I've never heard of. Is it cause of their genres? Am I the only one on the board who feels this way? I'm just not sure if I don't know shit about music, or you're just a freak.    ;)  

redsock

« Reply #86 on: July 14, 2004, 10:00:00 am »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
  I'll bet you don't know 98% of my music, either.   :)  

Or for that matter, 98% of Flawd's music.

Heck, maybe not ever 98% of Guiny's music.

Nah, I may not like a lot of it, or even have heard a good bit of it, but i'll at least know of the bands or artists.

Bags

« Reply #87 on: July 14, 2004, 10:04:00 am »
I understand your point, redsock, and I agree.  A lot of snailhook's bands are so far out of my genres that they don't even show up in ezines or music mags.  I've been amazed numerous times myself.  He's got compadres in Thirsty and Walkie (?) though...

I've heard of most of the bands Rhett or Guiny mention (flawed not so much), but usually just know of them, haven't listened to them.

« Reply #88 on: July 14, 2004, 10:07:00 am »
Snailhook is a deliberate obscurist?

redsock

« Reply #89 on: July 14, 2004, 10:10:00 am »
Originally posted by Bagalicious Tangster:
  I understand your point, redsock, and I agree.  A lot of snailhook's bands are so far out of my genres that they don't even show up in ezines or music mags.  I've been amazed numerous times myself.  He's got compadres in Thirsty and Walkie (?) though...

I've heard of most of the bands Rhett or Guiny mention (flawed not so much), but usually just know of them, haven't listened to them.
I'm not trying to paint it negatively, just want to be sure i'm not the only one lost in a sea of band names. Yeah, I think the 'real' indie boys on the board (walkie, thirtsy, nkotbie) have a lot more in common with our friend snailhook.