Author Topic: Warehouse shows  (Read 51448 times)

snailhook

Re: Warehouse shows
« Reply #105 on: July 21, 2004, 09:16:00 pm »
i just confirmed black ox orkestar (constellation records, thierry from GYBE and a silver mt zion) for august 30.

updated schedule:

7/24: carrier (berkeley, ca)/golden prophet (DC)/the alphabetical order (NoVA)
 7/25: fursaxa (philly)/spires that in the sunset rise (chicago)/kohoutek (my band)
 7/29: measles mumps rubella/federation x (estrus rec.)/the cheeps
 7/30: from quagmire (VHF rec.)/gutterhelmet (accordion/drums duo from providence)/christophe albertijn (solo guitar from belgium)
 7/31: place of skulls (ex-pentagram, southern lord)/earthride (ex-spirit caravan, southern lord)/unorthodox (MD doom)/pennsylvania connection
 8/1: john bustine & the woolfs/officer may (boston)
 8/11: orthrelm/fast forward/the peppermints (CA)
 8/19: plastic crimewave sound (chicago)/josephine foster & the supposed (chicago)/sharron kraus (camera obscura rec.)/alec redfearn
 8/20: the out_circuit/alcian blue/drone dimension (shoegaze from FL)
 8/21: el guapo/enon
 8/22: dove/meatjack/swarm of the lotus/trephine
 8/27: dalek/beans
 8/28: internal void (southern lord)/king valley
 8/30: black ox orkestar (constellation rec.)
 9/8: french toast/hello cuca (spain)
 9/9: the apes/the cuts/gris gris
 9/11: darediablo (NYC)

kurosawa-b/w

« Reply #106 on: July 22, 2004, 09:22:00 pm »
Originally posted by snailhook:

This show is going to be amazing. Drone Dimension are very, very good! The Out Circuit are great, too! (And we discussed Alcian Blue on the Rosebuds thread.) Come out and support shoegaze!

snailhook

« Reply #107 on: July 22, 2004, 11:24:00 pm »
damn right, that show's going to be good! i just got a two-song demo from drone dimension, and it's totally killer!

and add (sounds of) kaleidoscope and relay to black ox orkestar.

and wolf eyes on halloween.

walkman

« Reply #108 on: July 23, 2004, 02:24:00 pm »
shit! the warehouse is absolutely the best venue in DC these days...they're stealing shows that would normally suffer from crappy acoustics and lame sightlines on the black cat's backstage, which is AOK with me.

not to be missed, in walkie world:

7/25: fursaxa (philly)/spires that in the sunset rise (chicago)/kohoutek (my band)

7/29: measles mumps rubella/federation x (estrus rec.)/the cheeps

8/1: john bustine & the woolfs/officer may (boston)

8/21: el guapo/enon

8/27: dalek/beans

sadly (well not all that sad), I'm moving to NY on the 29th, so no Thierry/Apes/French Toast for me.

snailhook

« Reply #109 on: July 23, 2004, 02:40:00 pm »
walkie, if you're coming on sunday, be sure to introduce yourself. i'm the drummer in kohoutek.

perhaps we can give you a nice send-off show with dalek  :)

snailhook

« Reply #110 on: July 23, 2004, 02:42:00 pm »
Clavius Productions presents:

Femme folk-psych at the Warehouse Next Door
 Fursaxa (Philadelphia, Time Lag/Eclipse Records)
 Spires That in the Sunset Rise (Chicago, Galactic Zoo/Eclipse Records)
 Kohoutek (DC improv psych)
 $6, all ages, doors at 8:30, show at 9:15

Spires That in the Sunset Rise  

For almost three years now, Spires That in the Sunset Rise have been adorning Chicago venues with their songful muses, playing with groups such as Acid Mother's Temple, Bobby Conn, Pelt, Faun Fables, Charalambides, Strangulated Beatoffs, Mark Shippy (of U.S. Maple), Plastic Crimewave Sound, and Miminokoto. Spires are comprised of four women from central Illinois, where they attended the same high school. This environment allowed them to develop their intensely restless natures, which eventually culminated (an evolution of ten years and several different arrangements) into the vision of Spires That in the Sunset Rise. They utilize a creaky blend of cello, guitars, slide, banjo, harmonium, percussion, autoharp, flute, mbira, etc...into an awakened fever dream of songs culled from the primal, fantastical, elemental mind; a fusion of punk, psych, folk, free jazz, and eastern sounds.

"Spires That in the Sunset Rise are a female quartet from Chicago who mine the Wicker Man tradition better than anyone in recent memory. Their eponymous debut LP (Galactic Zoo Disk/Eclipse) sounds something like Alva pretending to be mid-period Current 93. There is a nice, tense, wheezy otherness to the way that the strings breathe in and out in concord with the harmonium, and that the vocals blend incantational tones with barks right out of Polansky's MacBeth. There are other raw touches to the music that bring to mind the early Godz, but the hoot-ritual aura eventually overwhelms any sense of art-anarchy. Which is a pretty hip thing to do, eh?" -Arthur

Fursaxa  (www.fursaxa.net)

Tara Burke is a Farfisa chord organist and singer formerly of Clock Strikes Thirteen, Ted Casterline and his Perfectly Perfect Pieces of Fruit, and the legendary (at least in mid-'90s underground psych circles) Siltbreeze band The Un. She now performs solo as Fursaxa, occasionally augmented by Bardo Pond's Michael Gibbons on electric guitar. Tara has an album called "Mandrake" that Kawabata Makoto (from Acid Mothers Temple) produced and released, plus recordings on Time Lag and Ecstatic Peace. Burke's folk-psych is heavily inspired by early western musical concepts (Gregorian chants, Hildegard von Bingen, fugues, etc.) and Nico's "The Marble Index".

Joey Sweeney of the Philadelphia Weekly writes:

Hailing from West Philly, Fursaxa is currently the darling of the Other Music set, and it's easy to see why. Boasting a label endorsement from legends of present-day Japanese psychedelia Acid Mothers Temple and a sound that hearkens back to those other polar queens of disaffected freakout music, Nico and Barbara Manning, "Mandrake" is one of the most otherworldly releases you'll come across this year. Burke has a real knack for turning folk into lo-fi, and then into sheer psych and back again.

"Everyone thinking of buying a Fursaxa album should be aware that Tara Burke has the ability to put listeners into a trance-like state. Her voice is somewhere between a tenor and an alto, and when she ventures in the lower ranges, she might as well be a hypnotist. Burke got my attention years ago because there weren't many women making weird, experimental, psychedelic music. There still aren't many, but Burke continues to put out excellent album after excellent album. "Madrigals in Duos" was recorded over two years ago but has finally been properly released by the Time Lag imprint. After one listen, I'm even more convinced that Tara Burke is a mystic.
 There are dozens of familiar sounds all over this record. From her trademark Farfisa to that opiate voice, this is the territory I have grown accustomed to when playing a new Fursaxa record. This music is often formless, drifting in and out of structure like one fades in and out of consciousness during lazy summer afternoons. It's this last aspect of "Madrigals in Duos," though, that most resonates with me. It's weird to think of this as any sort of "feel good" music, but during these first weeks of summer, this is my perfect accompaniment to days spent lounging in my pajamas, doing little but writing emails and watching TV. There's something under the surface here that lends itself to the transition into the full ascent of the hottest season, a time when I am generally more productive." -Brad Rose (Foxy Digitalis)

Kohoutek

Improvised psychedelia via guitar/bass/percussion, inspired by the likes of Can/Amon Duul 2/Krautrock, Bardo Pond, Dead C, Sun Ra/Art Ensemble/free jazz, Sonic Youth, MBV/shoegaze, drone, etc. Textures and mood over technical proficiency.

Jaguär

« Reply #111 on: July 27, 2004, 12:12:00 am »
Originally posted by kurosawa-b/w:

Originally posted by snailhook:

This show is going to be amazing. Drone Dimension are very, very good! The Out Circuit are great, too! (And we discussed Alcian Blue on the Rosebuds thread.) Come out and support shoegaze! [/b]
Agree with all of that!

(Even if the chick I know in Drone Dimension is a bit fiesty. She's okay though.   ;)   )

Very much looking forward to this show.

snailhook

« Reply #112 on: July 28, 2004, 02:45:00 pm »
thursday's and friday's shows:

THURSDAY! THE 29th OF JULY!

MEASLES MUMPS RUBELLA (take their drums and beat it)
 FEDERATION X (Estrus Records)
 the CHEEPS (Bellingham, WA)

WAREHOUSE NEXT DO'OR
 1017 7th St. NW
 8:30 Doors / 9:05ish Show
 All Ages!

+++++++++++++++++++
 FEDERATION X
 +++++++++++++++++++
 Well the battle of 1812 was a long and hard battle, but was won in the end by
 the Indians. During which time our uncle found it necessary to write a book he
 called the magna carta which he published at home and never fully finished. But
 first a brief history: In 1842 we sacked the Mongols in a mustard eating contest
 that would go down in history as second to none, but were aghast at the outfits
 they chose to wear at the event. That was before the Hindenberg exploded, and of
 course that changed everything. Federation X, founded in 1612, is comprised of
 18 crazy Mexicans who all know Don Rickles. Each plays a four string guitar
 composed of the most agile and consummate materials, with the heaviest wound
 strings available. All guitars are played through a 2X15 and a 4X12 cabinet,
 with Sunn amplifier heads to achieve maximum mayonnaise. For instance, a number
 of authors question what it means to speak for one??s self and one??s community.
 It was not necessary to build an airplane !
 made out of bicycles and yamakas, but we did it anyway and while we were flying
 over portugal with ali baba we made a pitstop in Cleveland to slap tonkies with:
 Dead Moon, The Fireballs of Freedom, Supersnazz, The Whip, The Murder City
 Devils, Gaza Strippers, Cherry Valence, Drunkhorse, the tight bros from way back
 wheny, C-average, 400 Blows, the Cheeps, 20 Miles, Supersuckers, the Bellrays,
 and Botch. this was fun, but no one could decide what shoes to wear to any of
 the shows. While drunk skiing, we went disco dancing at a trendy night- club on
 Mt. Olympus and then went home. Tim Green recorded our vital signs and took our
 pulses at Louder studios in Kansas Missouri Spain and concluded that minimal
 brain damage had occurred from the sandwich building contest that took place the
 night before. Steve Albini did not agree with mr. green's diagnosis upon further
 inquiry at a later sandwich building expose at his summer home in chicago USSR.
 this time the focus was on low calor!
 ie flame retardant pancake sandwiches and i feel that everybody learned a great
 deal, although steve's speech was a little long. Speaking of discoteques, we've
 opened 8 of them located throughout the great lawrence kansas area. A
 full-course sit down discoteque LP and two drive up breakfast combo discoteque
 7?s on Molasses Manifesto Records and a waffle pancake stack mix 7? on ??Tapes?
 Records from the Brooklyn towne, two full-tilt weenie roast hamburger basket LPs
 on Estrus Records, a single on wantage records of us impersonating budgie, and a
 four band double lp split with no humour added also on wantage records USA, do
 or die. We??ve shit in every bathroom across the United States 8 times, and the
 ones on the west coast we??ve shit in ??a whole lot more?, and we went to europe
 and shit in some of their bathrooms too. In our days of painting landfills with
 phyllus diller, our television broke and isntead of getting it fixed we started
 a miniture golf business with : The Dub Na!
 rcotic, The Monkeywrench, Sweep the Leg Johnny, Billy Childish, Comets on Fire,
 Fleshies, The Narrows, Lost Goat, Bantam Rooster, Last of the Juanitas, The
 Quadrajets, The Catheters,Immortal Lee County Killers, Fatal Flying Guilloteens,
 Scared of Chaka, The Swarming Hordes, The Bangs, Zen Guerilla, ...And You Will
 Know Us By the Trail of the Dead-a-doo, The Fucking Champs, Gas Huffer, Pretty
 Girls Make Graves, Japanther, and Seattle??s favorite loony birds-Zeke.We have
 played over 300 tonkers, unfortunately none yet with Martin and Lewis. While we
 were on tour we took turns beating the broccoli out of a ??77 Impala dragging a
 trailer, with 57 hungry horses in it, horses and occasionally rhinocerouses are
 vital for "serious" touring. But now our Impala is broken so we bronzed it and
 got a van. i'd just like to take a moment to say that i haven't made my bed
 today and i don't give a damn who knows it.

+++++++++++++++++++
 http://www.thecheeps.com/
 http://www.geocities.com/federationxonline/
 http://planariainc.com/mmr
 +++++++++++++++++++

Clavius Productions presents:

From Quagmire
 Gutterhelmet
 Christophe Albertijn

Warehouse Next Door
 1017 7th Street NW
 Washington DC
 Friday, July 30th
 doors at 9:30pm, show at 10
 $5

From Quagmire [www.fromquagmire.com]: a DC-based collective with CDs on VHF Records, and comprised of members of Rake [CameraObscura/Eclipse/VHF], Laconic Chamber [Camera Obscura], and The Espers [locust]. "Points of silence, hesitation, the sonic potential of instruments pushed to their limits, but always with a subtlety that demands respect. This is a reassuring voice with the curious ability to transform itself into disturbing hymnody, waves stirred up at the hands of V., the moments of pure beauty when the musical lines all come together in impossible agreement, each moaning with its own voice, hopeless but assured, the rhythm itself equally on the point of breaking, threatening to shove this entire beautiful world into the void...", Fluctuat.

From Quagmire is Dorothy Geller (Laconic Chamber, Elegy) on finger-picked nylon string guitar and hushed vocals, James Wolf (also Laconic Chamber) on violin, and Vinnie Van Go-Gogh (Rake) on guitar, percussion, and situationism. Their second CD, Caught in Unknowing , strongly follows on from their 2001 debut, Tropic of Barren, further evolving the Virginian trio??s exquisite and unique chamber music. Here the spaces between notes seem even more like chasms, the sounds of instruments laid bare by the extraordinary fidelity of their recording. In fact, the compositions on Caught in Unknowing seem like X-rays of songs, their skeleton defined and everything else a ghostly imprint. The pieces on Caught in Unknowing typically center around some kind of basic internalized folk-song core provided by Dorothy??s guitar patterns and whispered lyrics, around which the other members weave sonic exclamations wild violin excursions from James, and the sound of complaining hinges and a spectra of clatter from VVGG.
 Many sounds are of indeterminate origin, and for some reason that makes for compelling listening of the ??how did they do that?? variety. The lengthy central track (possibly called "Stale Mate" though it is a little hard to tell with a track listing that appropriately is a circular thing with no obvious beginning or end) wraps up all of these elements into a transfixing whole, and asks the listener to try and think of something else that sounds like this. And that??s a question that doesn??t get asked very often any more, and even less often results in a stumped listener. (from Ptolemaic Terrascope)

Gutterhelmet: The music has elements of Celtic and Eastern European musics, noise, free improvisation and prog rock but without the usual preciousness and contrivances that often go along with "eclectic" music. The duo consists of Alec K. Redfearn and Barnacled of Providence's Eyesores. Matt McLaren on Drumkit and Alec on electrified accordion fed through two amps: one for the keyboard side and one for the bass button side so as to make a power trio of two. There is also ample use of distortion pedals on both channels making for a pretty unusual accordion tone. There are many samples of compositional work at www.aleckredfearn.com.

Christophe Albertijn [Belgium]: Electrified guitar in the tradition of Henry Flint or Tony Conrad or other strands of minimalists/maximalists, but also John Fahey or Joseph Spence. Guitar that is influenced as much by folk/blues music as electro-acoustic music, noise, pop and free-improvisation. Using composed parts in an improvisational framework.

Bags

« Reply #113 on: August 10, 2004, 02:24:00 pm »
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 TOMORROW + WEDNESDAY + 08/11/04 + 8:30

ORTHRELM
 ....(Asristir Iorxhscimtor Barr Blair Stones Veildroixe)

FAST FORWARD
 ....(abrasive robo-music from Los Angeles - may or
 ....may NOT contain members of the Locust,
 ....Nazti Skins, Wrangler Brutes, Slant 6,
 ....Quix-O-Tic, Le Shok etc)

FASCIST FASCIST
 ....(Baltimore - members of The Uniform)

THE PEPPERMINTS
 ....(females from San Diego white-hot, yet candy-sweet,
 ....sonic epicenter of garage spawned carnage)

WAREHOUSE EXT DOOR + 1017 7th St. NW

Captain Jack

« Reply #114 on: August 10, 2004, 08:14:00 pm »
Orthrelm rules. I would be there, had I not bought Sonic Youth tickets. They'll play twenty minutes of the same three notes, really fast.

bellenseb

« Reply #115 on: August 10, 2004, 09:12:00 pm »
Anyone excited to see Mount Eerie (formerly the Microphones) and Calvin Johnson at the Warehouse on 9/22? Should be a great show.

ratioci nation

« Reply #116 on: August 10, 2004, 11:06:00 pm »
Originally posted by bellenseb:
  Anyone excited to see Mount Eerie (formerly the Microphones) and Calvin Johnson at the Warehouse on 9/22? Should be a great show.
I am I am

actually I have not been excited about shows just recently, but if I am able to regain my excitement about shows this will be one of them, I had not seen this on their schedule

nkotb

« Reply #117 on: August 11, 2004, 09:26:00 am »
Snailhook, any idea on set times?  Any possibility of making it to the Warehouse to catch Orthrelm after SY?

Originally posted by Captain Jack:
  Orthrelm rules. I would be there, had I not bought Sonic Youth tickets. They'll play twenty minutes of the same three notes, really fast.

Captain Jack

« Reply #118 on: August 11, 2004, 05:23:00 pm »
yeah I was thinking the same thing . . . .

snailhook

« Reply #119 on: August 11, 2004, 07:21:00 pm »
fuck...i saw this thread a bit too late (been busy at work all day)...

if anybody sees this before they leave for sonic youth, tonight's set times will be:

9pm: the peppermints
 9:45: fascist fascist
 10:30: fast forward
 11:15: orthrelm

as usual, i bet the show will run about 15-30 minutes late. my guess is orthrelm will go on after 11:30.

i'll be at sonic youth and running over to the warehouse ASAP to try to catch orthrelm. i'm wearing a blue paik t-shirt if anybody wants to say hi.

and yes, the microphones show will be killer. i'll warn y'all now that it will probably sell out, so get there early. woelv is also opening (the dude from old time relijun).

whole bunch of updates coming soon...