Author Topic: Warehouse shows  (Read 51447 times)

ratioci nation

Re: Warehouse shows
« Reply #90 on: July 14, 2004, 10:15:00 am »
the truth is, and i am not saying this to be a dick or anything, that most of the bands discussed on this board just are not very obscure compared to a lot of other music forums

« Reply #91 on: July 14, 2004, 10:21:00 am »
I can buy that. Atter all, this is the 9:30 Club chatboard, the most eclectic AND mainstream oriented music club in the area.

Originally posted by pollard:
  the truth is, and i am not saying this to be a dick or anything, that most of the bands discussed on this board just are not very obscure compared to a lot of other music forums

walkman

« Reply #92 on: July 14, 2004, 01:46:00 pm »
Originally posted by redsock:

Originally posted by Bagalicious Tangster:
  I understand your point, redsock, and I agree.  A lot of snailhook's bands are so far out of my genres that they don't even show up in ezines or music mags.  I've been amazed numerous times myself.  He's got compadres in Thirsty and Walkie (?) though...

I've heard of most of the bands Rhett or Guiny mention (flawed not so much), but usually just know of them, haven't listened to them.
I'm not trying to paint it negatively, just want to be sure i'm not the only one lost in a sea of band names. Yeah, I think the 'real' indie boys on the board (walkie, thirtsy, nkotbie) have a lot more in common with our friend snailhook. [/b]
thanks for the props, boss!

Bags

« Reply #93 on: July 14, 2004, 01:58:00 pm »
 I'm not trying to paint it negatively, just want to be sure i'm not the only one lost in a sea of band names.  
I'm not either -- I think it's cool as shit.  It'd be boring if we all liked the same stuff, and there's tons of stuff I listen to now I never would have (a la The National, Snow Patrol, Cooper Temple Clause, going to the Secret Machines show Thursday...).

In the realm of things, the 9:30 forum majority is 'mainstream alternative' (please, let's not get into a terminology discussion -- I just mean that compared to the general population, we listen to music most folks have never heard of).  I know about way more bands than just about anyone I know out in life, but on the board, I know nothing (yes, go ahead, say that in your best Sgt Schultz voice).  Still, snailhook and the boys seem on the edge of alternative.  And, of course, Pollard knows about everything, but has faily discerning taste nonetheless.    ;)

Pollard, wouldn't you say, though, that most other boards are more specific to a genre (and hence get much deeper into a genre's roster), and this is pretty much a generalist forum?

ratioci nation

« Reply #94 on: July 14, 2004, 02:48:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bagalicious Tangster:

I'm not trying to paint it negatively, just want to be sure i'm not the only one lost in a sea of band names.  
I'm not either -- I think it's cool as shit.  It'd be boring if we all liked the same stuff, and there's tons of stuff I listen to now I never would have (a la The National, Snow Patrol, Cooper Temple Clause, going to the Secret Machines show Thursday...).

In the realm of things, the 9:30 forum majority is 'mainstream alternative' (please, let's not get into a terminology discussion -- I just mean that compared to the general population, we listen to music most folks have never heard of).  I know about way more bands than just about anyone I know out in life, but on the board, I know nothing (yes, go ahead, say that in your best Sgt Schultz voice).  Still, snailhook and the boys seem on the edge of alternative.  And, of course, Pollard knows about everything, but has faily discerning taste nonetheless.     ;)  

Pollard, wouldn't you say, though, that most other boards are more specific to a genre (and hence get much deeper into a genre's roster), and this is pretty much a generalist forum? [/b]
i don't think this board is general at all, how many discussion of hip hop have there beem, and I don't count the Beastie Boys

snailhook

« Reply #95 on: July 14, 2004, 02:58:00 pm »
wow, i'm very flattered.

let me just say that i am not into obscure bands for obscurity's sake. some of my favorite bands, for years, have been (and will always be) black sabbath, the doors, led zeppelin, pink floyd, creedence clearwater revival, the byrds, the stones, sonic youth, yo la tengo, the supremes, neil young, and the smiths. hardly obscure.

however, i am a music nerd (and a film nerd, too...i can talk about obscure foreign directors all night, but i won't go there). i think there are great bands/musicians in all genres and subgenres, though i do think the best music tends to exist in the underground. i would like to see these bands get more fans, because many of them can appeal to more folks. on the other hand, some of the music that i like is so abstract, atonal, and discordant that it will always appeal to a select few. still, a few is better than none.

the funny thing is, i have 104 posts here and have barely mentioned a smidgeon of my collection, and what's out there. i would never be so arrogant to suggest that i know everything; the beauty of music in the 21st century is that there are so many albums and artists and the access to them, so that it's easy to learn about new and exciting stuff every day.

what really sucks is the fact that i have two jobs and can't really listen to music for at least 40 hours a week.

and yes, this forum is pretty general. i am on other boards that are more genre-specific. i like to hop around boards because i get tired/bored of being on just one. i like this one because i work at the 930 and book at the warehouse and it is a large part of my local music community. i think it is very important to be involved in the community, especially by communication.

that said, if i turn just one person on to something they might not normally know, i've done my job   :)

snailhook

« Reply #96 on: July 14, 2004, 03:02:00 pm »
and here's the write-up for growing from the city paper...

Tonight is Olympia, Wa's metal drone band, GROWING, playing with the politically
 and socially motivated electronic experimental noise venture, HARM STRYKER, and
 the electroacoustic drone psych of THE WIND-UP BIRD.
 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 Tonight!  Wednesday! July 14th!
 at the Warehouse Next Door
 1017 7th St. NW
 $7 / 8:30 doors / 9:00 music
 It's hard to figure out whether Growing is a metal band without a drummer or a
 New Age band with a metal edge. The pedigree of this Olympia, Wash., duo
 definitely indicates the former: Guitarist Joe Denardo and bassist Kevin Doria
 (pictured somewhere in the crowd) are ex-members of hardcore act Black Man White
 Man Dead Man and doom act 1000 AD, respectively. And Growing's 2003 debut, The
 Sky's Run Into the Sea, is chock-full of grim atmosphere: The album's thick,
 distorted chords crawl so slowly at times that they turn and churn into pure
 drone. But the duo is fond of more than just the blackened noise pumped out by
 its drum-free peers Earth and Sunn O))). Sky's guitars often mimic bagpipesâ??even
 harpsichordsâ??and the band flat-out hijacks the Beatles' "Norwegian Wood" on
 "Cutting, Opening, Swimming." To confuse matters further, Growing's upcoming
 double album, The Soul of the Rainbow and the Harmony of Light (the title of
 which comes from a late-19th-century essay on the rela!
 tionship between color and sound), more or less dispenses with the Hessian
 riffs, dwelling only on their benign aftermath. Thrown in a mix with the ambient
 likes of Fripp & Eno or just about any album on Kranky (Growing's label), Soul's
 shimmering waves of synthlike guitars and cymbal swells fit in just fine.
 Growing plays with Harm Stryker at 9 p.m. Wednesday, July 14, at the Warehouse
 Next Door, 1017 7th St. NW. $7. (202) 783-3933. (Brent Burton - washington city
 paper)
 The Wind-Up Bird's lineage points to hardcore (Jerome's Dream) and post rock
 (33.3), but where they end up is pretty far removed from either. With a rare
 clarity, Whips combines lush and airy drone (a la Stars of the Lid), violin,
 trumpet, trombone, layered voices, and computerized bleeps, bloops, and
 manipulations.

Based on a message left on an answering machine (which is manipulated on the 4th
 track), the song titles, if put together, say "Sorry that I've become this
 monster. I love you a lot." After taking this static-y sample of an answering
 machine and manipulating it into a hardly intelligible garble set in a maelstrom
 of noise, the clouds part and clear tones pulse beneath a mournful violin line.

Not only does this album deconstruct its songs and melodies into lyrical
 textures on par with the best of ambient music, but it's also brimming with
 activity. Different textures, melodies, and instruments slide in and out of the
 mix, adding their little piece to the massive puzzle.

Generally reminiscent of the mood Labradford conjures, The Wind-Up Bird aren't
 so easily categorized. The use of acoustic instruments, with no treatment
 alongside the laptop and looped guitar lines, makes this an unusual amalgam of
 tones, giving the moody music plenty of depths to fully submerge.

sean hammond, FakeJazz.com
 Harm Stryker is a politically and socially motivated electronic experimental
 noise venture.  The intention behind Harm Stryker is to help increase awareness
 for different radical issues that deserve attention through various forms of
 independent media.  We believe that in order to provoke action against
 oppression there must be a strong enough feeling of dissent towards the
 oppressor.  In order for this to happen, people must feel educated and empowered
 to make a change.  Harm Stryker intends to fuel the revolutionary flame by
 providing an outlet for radical ideas through literature, art, and experimental
 music that encourage people to take matters into their own hands.  While we
 realize that some direct action tactics are not for everyone, Harm Stryker
 supports creative alternatives that help increase awareness as well.  Some of
 these ideas involve art, music, wheat pasting, screen-printing, event
 organizing, etc.

Harm Stryker is based on the actions of individuals, not the dictations of
 authority figures.  each person is independent, connected only through the use
 of the Harm Stryker tag.  Those who act for the idea of Harm Stryker do so by
 their own decision, and are advised of the Harm Strykers guidelines below:

Harm Stryker Guidelines:

*   avoid causing physical harm to any living being.
 *   choose your battles wisely.  consider what you hope to affect, and insure that
 it is a worthy cause.
 *   do not vandalize for pointless recreation.
 *   fight corporations, not the people working for them.
 *   be conscious of your environment and avoid its destruction.
 *   Harm Stryker is about making informed decisions.  educate yourself.
 *   make your assertions into facts supported by solid evidence.
 *   express your opinion to us often!!!

Harm Stryker will not tolerate hate, racism, sexism, or homophobia. We stand
 beside those who fight capitalism and work for a better living wage in local
 communities and foreign countries. We understand and support those who struggle
 to save our forest and animals from extinction. It is crucial that we all stand
 together and fight these injustices as one.  Harm Stryker's goal is not to
 compete with other groups, but to contribute to their cause and stand in
 solidarity with them as they combat various social, environmental, and political
 issues in a non-violent manner.

Jaguär

« Reply #97 on: July 14, 2004, 05:08:00 pm »
Originally posted by snailhook:
  at the warehouse next door, 9pm, $7

11pm: growing (kranky records)
 10pm: the wind-up bird (the music fellowship)
 9pm: harm stryker (from richmond, electronic noise duo)

growing are a duo (sometimes a trio) who play guitar-based heavy drone in the vein of earth 2 and sunno))), perhaps a "metal" stars of the lid or flying saucer attack. they play with film projections, so it should be a highly psychedelicized set.

the wind-up bird is part of the music fellowship, which includes bands such as landing, yume bitsu, paik, surface of eceon, etc. it is the brainchild of joseph grimm, who will be performing solo, though he often has a partner to augment the sound. the wind-up bird is mostly electronic/laptop-based, but he coaxes some amazing post-rock sounds out of the computer, sounding more like tortoise than aphex twin or something like that.

harm stryker are a completely electronic duo, though one of them plays a theremin and uses heavily processed vocals. they are very drony and spacy and will kick off the show with a short, trippy set of noise.
This makes me want to see The Wind-Up Bird. All of those bands, except for Tortoise. Tortoise are too cold Fusion Jazzy for my taste. All the rest have me very interested.

BTW, have you heard Paik's new CD yet? It's on my 'to buy' list for my next order. If so, what direction have they taken? I'm anxious to hear it. Also plan on ordering the new ones from Bark Psychosis and The Telescopes. Also The Meeting Places. Might add in something from LKRWM, The Legendary Pink Dots, Douglas Heart, Guitaro or so many others I need to reconsider. Trying to scrape up some money.         :(

snailhook

« Reply #98 on: July 14, 2004, 05:19:00 pm »
jaguar, if you're referring to paik's "the orson fader", i know that one. if you're referring to the one they've been working on, "satin black", i have no idea. is it out yet?

i love paik and have seen them twice. a lot of my band's improvs actually end up sounding a lot like paik. i've already talked to them about playing in DC whenever they go on tour again. i saw 'em at terrastock in 2002 and at william & mary with windy & carl last year.

are you familiar with landing? i had them play my house in november. i think you'd like them...they sound like a psychedelic/shoegazer low.

Joymonster

• MySpace
« Reply #99 on: July 14, 2004, 06:01:00 pm »

are you familiar with landing? i had them play my house in november. i think you'd like them...they sound like a psychedelic/shoegazer low.
I received the "Sphere" CD in the mail over the weekend. For space-rock, it's pretty good.

Jaguär

« Reply #100 on: July 14, 2004, 06:34:00 pm »
  jaguar, if you're referring to paik's "the orson fader", i know that one. if you're referring to the one they've been working on, "satin black", i have no idea. is it out yet?
Satin Black. It was just released only about a week or so ago. The same time as the new CDs from The Telescopes and Bark Psychosis.

i love paik and have seen them twice. a lot of my band's improvs actually end up sounding a lot like paik. i've already talked to them about playing in DC whenever they go on tour again. i saw 'em at terrastock in 2002 and at william & mary with windy & carl last year.
Oh, that would be great if you could get them.
 You need to talk with some friends of mine.     ;)    

I'm looking forward to hearing your band sometime.

Honestly, I've only heard a tiny bit but liked what I heard. Can't remember much though other than that I know I liked them. Definitely my kind of music, the Psychedelic Shoegazer that I am.

As a reminder, you really need to hear Highspire. So do all of those on here who keep singing the praises of The Stone Roses. TSRs are EJ's (main guy in the band) favorite band and you can hear it in his music. (Great guy too!) I tried to get him to come down to the AB/Rbs show last night but he couldn't do a weeknight. Working on a future gathering.   ;)

snailhook

« Reply #101 on: July 15, 2004, 04:04:00 pm »
the warehouse brings us back to the glory days of indie-pop and riot grrrl...

SUNDAY!

July 18th at the Warehouse Nextdoor

Presented in sparkling two tone color:  

BONFIRE MADIGAN (Kill Rock Stars, K. Records, Moon Puss)

and

EYES OF THE KILLER ROBOT

With summer apon us again, EYES OF THE KILLER ROBOT a.k.a the Hynes' of
 Arlington (Liz, Shannon, Brendan) have joined with the Kane of DC (Dennis) in
 preparing an evening of entertainment with the visiting visionary, BONFIRE
 MADIGAN!!  Regretfully the small sam-a-wiches that had been prepared are gone
 but the Warehouse Next Door is providing refreshing drinks.  Both sparkling and
 non.  Some come one, come all....

Schedule:
 8:30 - doors open for meet and greet, small talk moments, and drinks
 9:30 - Eyes of the Killer Robot begins musical interpretations of such old
 time standards as "Bruncle"
 10:00 - break for a moment outside to contemplate either the lack of
 weather, or abbundence of it.
 10:30 - Enjoy the cello stylings of visiting visionary Bonfire Madigan!

+++++++++++++++++++++

Bonfire Madigan is an avant-pop, chamber-rock experiment. A configuration of
 combustible collaborators orbiting the songs and spit of Madigan Shive. Madigan
 ignites the Bonfire with a shebeen of soul-art-string-sounds. Since her
 performing songwriting first appeared with Seattle's first generation Riot Grrrl
 band, the seminal acoustic songwriting duo, Tattle Tale, to her Mad art,
 advocacy and activism of today -- Madigan doesn't play for safety. As the new
 B.Mad live album declares -- she Plays for Change. It may take some folks awhile
 to catch up with this. But they're the ones who said Bob couldn't sing, Monk
 couldn't play and Patti wasn't rock and roll. Madigan is a new-music composer
 pulling from all that inspires her to create something often called ineffable.
 She repaints the sonic landscape with visceral interpretations of love, life,
 loss and liberation. Madigan is one of the globalization generations most potent
 cultural figures. SF Chronicle/EGate says "... Shive c!
 ertainly sets the underground ablaze."

Madigan Shive - words, voice, cello, guitar, up front baring all

snailhook

« Reply #102 on: July 15, 2004, 08:57:00 pm »
jaguar, i do need to hear highspire. if i can hook paik up with a show at the warehouse, i would certainly think of inviting highspire down for that.

i didn't even know the telescopes had a new record out. they were always amazing and don't get the proper due they deserve.

landing sound like low and galaxie 500 with spacy analog synths and lots of guitar effects. i hear the new album has more of a rock feeling. "passages through" was in my top 20 records of last year. they want to play my house again on the next tour, so i'll keep you posted.

Jaguär

« Reply #103 on: July 17, 2004, 02:02:00 pm »
Snailhook, as synchronicity would have it...
 just for us!

Too bad we can't make it because it's on the other side of the freaking country.    :D

I'm kind of mixed about Park Avenue Music. Would probably enjoy them live but can't say I'm all that enamoured by them recorded.

Bags

« Reply #104 on: July 21, 2004, 12:36:00 pm »
Rippers and Thrashers (really good and consistent skaters).... dont be a poser (pretender; someone that dresses like a skateboarder but doesn't skateboard ) and slam (a bad unexpected fall )!

Catch some air (Ride a skateboard into the air, land it, and continue on), grind (a trick done on any sharp lip where the truck comes in contact with the edge of the lip), and ollie (the basis for most skateboard tricks...the back foot smacks the tail of the board against the ground while the front foot pulls the board up into the air) yourself over to the Warehouse Nextdoor on Friday night, July 23rd.

Its a benefit show for the GREEN SKATE LAB, a grassroots organization committed to building a quality concrete skatepark almost entirely out of recycled materials, right here in DC!!!  DC!!!  DC!!!

www.greenskatelab.org

playing are:

CITYGOATS
 RED LINE INDEX
 HOMAGE TO CATALONIA

Tight! (Cool !)

The Warehouse Nextdoor is located at 1019 7th St. NW between NY Ave & L St.  Doors open at the happy hour of 8PM and 6 dollars gets you past the bouncers.