Author Topic: Books  (Read 166844 times)

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
Re: Books
« Reply #555 on: October 12, 2022, 09:38:34 am »
My issue with this community isn't that they don't read enough -- its that its all books about musicians. Some of you need to learn "liking music" isn't a personality.
LVMH

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #556 on: October 12, 2022, 09:48:34 am »
My issue with this community isn't that they don't read enough -- its that its all books about musicians. Some of you need to learn "liking music" isn't a personality.

Wait. That's your issue? The book thing? All this time I thought it was integers, GWAR!, fat acceptance, mockery of Sonos....the list goes on. Books wasn't even on my radar, but now I can focus my efforts to better support your integration into the community.

Thanks for the info.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #557 on: October 12, 2022, 10:16:19 am »
Wait. That's your issue? The book thing? All this time I thought it was integers, GWAR!, fat acceptance, mockery of Sonos....
LVMH

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #558 on: October 12, 2022, 12:22:05 pm »

music nerds, on a music board, discuss mostly music-related books?

i shall alert both the press and the authorities forthwith. 
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #559 on: October 12, 2022, 12:23:25 pm »
I do feel lately that seeing as I ain’t getting younger and time might be limited I really need to pick up the pace reading wise or not going to get to a lot of books I want to read.

interesting... i would pick up my concert-going.  there will be plenty of time to read once we're too old to go to shows.
<sig>

« Reply #560 on: October 12, 2022, 12:27:05 pm »
I do feel lately that seeing as I ain’t getting younger and time might be limited I really need to pick up the pace reading wise or not going to get to a lot of books I want to read.

interesting... i would pick up my concert-going.  there will be plenty of time to read once we're too old to go to shows.
never, I fully intend to take advantage of the prime seating handicapped people get when I'm in my 80s!
slack

bearman🐻

« Reply #561 on: October 12, 2022, 01:37:23 pm »
Miki Berenyi (from Lush) has a new book out that is dynamite. Can't put it down.

Space Freely

« Reply #562 on: October 18, 2022, 08:10:49 am »
Speaking of early 70's turds, I'm reading Led Zeppelin:The Biography, by Bob Spitz. What a serious bag of dicks they were. This reviewer summarizes it well.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/books/led-zeppelin-biography/2021/12/01/1b8b314a-3669-11ec-9bc4-86107e7b0ab1_story.html

Also, this sounds rough, though possibly great. I'll have to see it out.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/parenting/2022/10/17/nick-cave-faith-hope-carnage/

Starsky

« Reply #563 on: October 18, 2022, 09:06:31 am »
I am so burnt out on classic rock…..I just can’t stomach anything about it anymore

I just finished Deborah Curtis’ autobiography about Ian…. Now reading the Joy Division oral biography and a book of essays by Donald Fagen of Steely Dan.

Also just started a book - House of Dolls- from 1956 written by a Holocaust survivor. This book is where Joy Division got their name from…

GAY,GUY

« Reply #564 on: October 18, 2022, 02:12:41 pm »
I am reading

Evil A Primer, by William Hart.  It is excellent, because it blends amusing relatable content that most readers can easily absorb, while also showing you just how fucked, we really are, as inhabitants on this purgatory manifesto planet.

When you die, you will be shocked.

Starsky

« Reply #565 on: October 20, 2022, 10:57:02 am »

Starsky

« Reply #566 on: October 23, 2022, 04:40:58 pm »
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2022/oct/23/salman-rushdie-has-lost-sight-in-one-eye-and-use-of-one-hand-says-agent

Outraged, ashamed and embarrassed.

I totally disagree that nothing could have been done. Have a guard next to him while event was happening.

« Reply #567 on: October 23, 2022, 06:10:42 pm »
Have a guard next to him while event was happening.
It was his wish to not be flanked by guards, there were police officers very close.  It happened so quick that I think most were in shock as it was happening
From the reporting of what actually happened, I am shocked that he is still even alive with that many stabs to the head, neck and abdomen

I get outraged, but ashamed and embarrassed?
slack

Starsky

« Reply #568 on: October 24, 2022, 03:11:43 pm »

Cracking open volume 2.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #569 on: November 22, 2022, 12:26:24 pm »
Oopsie

Simon and Schuster is issuing refunds for the $600 “hand-signed” edition of Bob Dylan’s new book after it turned out his autograph was a “penned replica.”
T.Rex