Author Topic: The Stooges Roll Call  (Read 18916 times)

TheDirector217

Re: The Stooges Roll Call
« Reply #90 on: April 06, 2007, 04:59:00 pm »
No one has bothered to discuss the most important thing pertaining to last night's display of rockdom. Who's gonna get mp3s of the show from last night???  (Kosmo, I may be talking to you here) I'm listening to the stream on NPR right now, & it rocks. But if they were streaming the show last night live from 9:30, SOMEBODY's gotta know the cat that was working the soundboard last night.  

I MUST   :mad:   have a copy of last night's show.  I'll even pay for it.  Somebody get at me . . . .

snailhook

« Reply #91 on: April 06, 2007, 05:10:00 pm »
i have nothing much to add here, other than to say that this was one of the best shows i've ever seen. ron asheton sounded absolutely monstrous, scott asheton pounded the shit out of his drums, mike watt was the perfect replacement for dave alexander, and iggy still is the best rock 'n' roll performer alive. i saw the stones in 2002, and while that was quite good, it was nowhere near as powerful and awe-inspiring as the stooges. i think i had shivers during all of the songs from fun house.

secretsquirrel

« Reply #92 on: April 06, 2007, 05:44:00 pm »
Originally posted by TheDirector217:
  No one has bothered to discuss the most important thing pertaining to last night's display of rockdom. Who's gonna get mp3s of the show from last night???  
Why mp3? Lossless!  :p

But a recording of this show would be sweet. Iggy really put on an amazing performance.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #93 on: April 06, 2007, 07:10:00 pm »
My one complaint of the show would be no songs from the Raw Power era.  They should just suck it up and put those into the set.  I'd love to have heard "Cock in my Pocket", or even better, "I Gotta Right", which is prolly my most favoritest Stooges song ever.

SPARX

« Reply #94 on: April 06, 2007, 08:00:00 pm »
Originally posted by chaz:
  My one complaint of the show would be no songs from the Raw Power era.  They should just suck it up and put those into the set.  I'd love to have heard "Cock in my Pocket", or even better, "I Gotta Right", which is prolly my most favoritest Stooges song ever.
C.I.M.P. would've blown the roof off. Metallic K.O., despite its poor production,is one of the most spun records in my collection over the years.Up there with the best records ever made IMHO. Hell, you even get a kickin version of Louie Louie. Timeless!!

mrpee

« Reply #95 on: April 07, 2007, 10:24:00 am »
It's a great, balanced review and how cool is it to be able to read the work of someone is as smart and still as committed as Jenkins is? And who actually saw the fabled '73 Kennedy Center show. Now that's a double bill!

Listening to "The Weirdness," the first Stooges album in 34 years, longtime fans might wonder if Iggy Pop and his recently reunited cohorts remember how to be the band they were in the early 1970s. Any such doubts were quickly banished Thursday night at the 9:30 club, where the proto-punk musicians' reflexes proved undiminished. The band's 80-minute set was hampered only by "The Weirdness's" second-string material.
 Seen up close, Iggy looks like the 60-year-old he'll become later this month, but he's as limber and energetic as he was in the Stooges' heyday. Sleek, shirtless and a bit simian, Iggy prowled the stage, wearing low-slung pants that threatened to slip all the way off by the time the show ended with the evening's second, sloppier version of "I Wanna Be Your Dog." He threw himself into the audience a few times, and welcomed fans onstage to dance to the teen anti-anthems "Real Cool Time" and "No Fun."
 Those songs are all from the quartet's 1969 debut, but the Stooges took just as much from their 1970 follow-up, "Fun House." (The band entirely bypassed "Raw Power," the David Bowie-produced 1973 album for which guitarist Ron Asheton was demoted to bass.) Drummer Scott Asheton switched fluidly from the metronomic beats of the first album to the more swinging rhythms of the second, and saxophonist Steve Mackay joined for "Fun House's" title song and "I Feel Alright." The only problem was that the set peaked there, before the band trudged through such lesser new material as "Trollin'."
 Inevitably, the Stooges weren't as threatening as at their last D.C. gig, opening for Mott the Hoople at the Kennedy Center in 1973. That show ended prematurely, when Iggy appeared to be bleeding and the band's power was cut. (From this writer's vantage point, the red stuff on his chest looked more like fruit-pie filling than blood.)
 Iggy's not as self-destructive these days, but the main difference between the two shows is that venues like the 9:30 club now exist. The larger world may never accept the Stooges, but there's a part that has.

-- Mark Jenkins

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #96 on: April 07, 2007, 11:32:00 am »
Personally I think Jenkins is your typical self important jaded rock critic and usually I've no time for his been-there done-that ramblings.

But this time he got it just right.

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #97 on: April 07, 2007, 05:59:00 pm »

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #98 on: April 07, 2007, 11:30:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bombay Chutney:
   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BApXhsfM4kY  
wtf?  pancake mountain?!?

i saw the cameras set up in the club during the show, wondered what that was all about... let's hope they release more footage!  who should we petition - rufus?!?
<sig>

RustyOrgan

« Reply #99 on: April 08, 2007, 06:03:00 pm »
...Can someone post a fucking set list already??

bearman🐻

« Reply #100 on: April 08, 2007, 06:39:00 pm »
Good gawd...I just got back into the country, and of course I'm SO bummed I missed this. Anyone else going to see the Philly show??

andyrichter

« Reply #101 on: April 08, 2007, 06:50:00 pm »
Loose
 Down On The Street
 I Wanna Be Your Dog
 TV Eye
 No Fun
 Dirt
 My Idea Of Fun
 Real Cool Time
 Fun House
 Trollin
 She Took My Money
 I'm Fried
 I Wanna Be Your Dog

I'm missing a couple but I think I got most of it in some semblance of order.

PigIron

« Reply #102 on: April 08, 2007, 11:19:00 pm »
Saw the show in Boston the next night.  Very similar setlist except no repeat of Wanna Be Your Dog.  Unfortunately, it was in a crappy venue that made me miss 9:30.  Excellent show by the Stooges though.  From the newspaper review it sounded like everything was similar.

andyrichter

« Reply #103 on: April 09, 2007, 12:08:00 am »
what venue was it and what was wrong it?

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #104 on: April 09, 2007, 12:46:00 am »
i believe that the boston show was at the orpheum, a seated theater rather similar to the warner in dc.  

this was a show that i really appreciated seeing in a GA setting.  i don't understand why they (supposedly) insisted on only playing seated theater venues.
<sig>