Author Topic: ONE HOUR BB SHOW  (Read 32597 times)

eltee

Re: ONE HOUR BB SHOW
« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2004, 01:18:00 pm »
ah geez. no one said anything really bad about them. It was nice to not read any real raucus on here today, after a dazed and confused situation last night.  I've been biting my tongue all day about the extra two hours of promotion hfs received (not to mention the obnoxious huge banner on the side of the club). I read your post quickly, it was painful, so I opt not to read it slowly.
 It's Friday...where's the quiz Kosmo?  
Originally posted by m1:
  you make me laugh ... if you read again, slowly, remember slowly, you will see that the post is far from being defensive - I even cover that specifically   :roll:  

m1

« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2004, 01:20:00 pm »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:

Originally posted by m1:

Originally posted by Member 656:
  Sampling has been an idea in hip-hop long before the Beastie Boys even arrived on the scene.

I find it funny that everyone now likes Paul's Boutique, and calls it a work of genius. I remember a lot of people hating that record when it came out back in 89'.
Must not have been the COOL KIDS ... [/b]
well i wasn't a kid at the time and i remember the record being a let down when i bought it...  it wasn't what i was expecting. in retrospect its a great record.  i have had the same reaction to xtc records as well one of my favorites [/b]
that's the thing about music & your own personal mood at the time - things come & go - some don't hit right away & later down the line, it becomes your favorite album & just the same vice-versa ... it's constantly fluctuating ...

mankie

« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2004, 01:21:00 pm »
m1 is a great user name for you because you are the new #1 moron of the board!!

Look, I never put down your beloved band, I just called them a a party/novelty band, which they are...that's not a bad thing.

I yell the words to 'fight for your right to party' as loud as the next person when it comes on the radio.....the song is even about a fucking party you prick.

Sabotage - just three blokes screaming at us, but the video is basically a parody of a 70's cop show.....comedy, humour, funny!

Brass Monkey - don't like it, but again it's a novelty song.

Girls - what's that if it's not a funny song, to have fun with and not taken seriously or critiqued into some groundbreaking work of genius.

The beastie boys are the band a dj plays at a wedding to get the party really going once all the grown ups have gone to bed.

eltee

« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2004, 01:23:00 pm »
no, no. the drink - mountain dew & southern comfort. I'm probably wrong w/ that. Anyhow, no, can't drink that stuff anymore. Ever since an awful aftermath from drinking it warm. But I'll have to check out the stuff you refer to. lol. And what's wrong w/ ghetto, eh?   :)   [/b][/quote]

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2004, 01:24:00 pm »
hmmm - the Friday quiz is delayed due to the slacker brass monkeys i hired to write it aren't done with it...
T.Rex

mankie

« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2004, 01:27:00 pm »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
  hmmm - the Friday quiz is delayed due to the slacker brass monkeys i hired to write it aren't done with it...
I always thought the song "Brass Monkey" was about cold weather, but what do I know....  :roll:

thirsty moore

« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2004, 01:29:00 pm »
I haven't really had time to listen to the lyrics.  I'm far too busy thinking how revolutionary it is.

Originally posted by Bollocks:
 I always thought the song "Brass Monkey" was about cold weather, but what do I know....   :roll:  

m1

« Reply #52 on: June 18, 2004, 01:30:00 pm »
  m1 is a great user name for you because you are the new #1 moron of the board!!

Look, I never put down your beloved band, I just called them a a party/novelty band, which they are...that's not a bad thing.

I yell the words to 'fight for your right to party' as loud as the next person when it comes on the radio.....the song is even about a fucking party you prick.

Sabotage - just three blokes screaming at us, but the video is basically a parody of a 70's cop show.....comedy, humour, funny!

Brass Monkey - don't like it, but again it's a novelty song.

Girls - what's that if it's not a funny song, to have fun with and not taken seriously or critiqued into some groundbreaking work of genius.

The beastie boys are the band a dj plays at a wedding to get the party really going once all the grown ups have gone to bed.
chill man ... no need for the name callin'  :p

mankie

« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2004, 01:32:00 pm »
...and for those less learned than myself....

Brass monkey weather

Q. What is the origin of the saying 'cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey'? (Anon) The popular explanation is that warships in the 18th century stored their shot on brass racks called monkeys. In the cold weather the brass contracted causing the shot to fall onto the deck hence the expression. However although we cannot offer an alternative explanation we do not think this theory is tenable. Most of the round shot was carried in racks or 'garlands' which were either wood or rope. No nautical dictionaries give any reference to the brass monkey although monkey was a term used for all sorts of other things. The use of brass is also questionable since it was a fairly expensive commodity and there seems to be no reason for its use when wood sufficed.

I can't leave it as it is, it's bugging me because that's not exactly right.....the iron cannon balls were stacked in a pyramid, but of course the pyramid had a habit of collapsing, being made from balls. The solutions was to devise a plate that would hold the bottom layer of the pyramid to prevent it from collapsing, this was made of brass and was called the brass monkey. In extremely cold weather, brass contracts quicker than iron so the iron cannon balls would slip through the plate and "el'collapso" The balls froze of the brass monkey!!!

:D

mankie

« Reply #54 on: June 18, 2004, 01:34:00 pm »
Originally posted by m1:

[/b]
chill man ... no need for the name callin'   :p  [/QB]
yeah, you gotchme....you so damn smart you eeez.
   :roll:  

l8tr sk8trboi!

m1

« Reply #55 on: June 18, 2004, 01:36:00 pm »

Originally posted by m1:

[/b]
chill man ... no need for the name callin'    :p   [/b]
yeah, you gotchme....you so damn smart you eeez.
    :cool:

Joymonster

• MySpace
« Reply #56 on: June 18, 2004, 01:38:00 pm »
Originally posted by m1:

Sampling has been an idea in hip-hop long before the Beastie Boys even arrived on the scene.

I find it funny that everyone now likes Paul's Boutique, and calls it a work of genius. I remember a lot of people hating that record when it came out back in 89'.
They didn't like Pauls Boutique at that time either...

m1

« Reply #57 on: June 18, 2004, 01:43:00 pm »

Originally posted by m1:

They didn't like Pauls Boutique at that time either... [/b]
that's cause they were listenin' to Poison 'Look What the Cat Dragged In'   :D

SalParadise

« Reply #58 on: June 18, 2004, 01:55:00 pm »
Originally posted by nkotbie:
  I agree with you about 90% about sampling.  Take Sean Combs, or practically any rap act out there today.  They take a hook, melody, or hell, the whole fucking song, rap over top of it, and sell millions.  Not a lot of talent, I don't think.  

But when done right, sampling is almost like a collage.  Using various elements of several completely different songs/sources that, when added to original instrumentation, becomes a new whole.  That's what made Paul's Boutique and Check Your Head such amazing albums (and no matter who says what, Check Your Head is the bestest).  The Beasties didn't just drop the needle on a record and rap over it.  It's just too bad mainstream rappers nowadays don't offer any originality in their music.  Of course, for that kind of payout, I'd rap about bitches, chronic and rims too.

Beastie Boys lot are a pretty defensive lot aren't they?

Are you republican because you don't allow anyone to have an opinion other than that of yourself.

And for the record...'sampling' is basically stealing someone else's stuff!
[/b]
i know it's the 930 board, and i should expect this...but anyways, most rap producers nowadays don't sample. they're creating the entire beat themselves. that's why, for example, the kanye west album was so big in rap circles (because it was a throwback to the 90's/heavy sampling-days of hip-hop).

ggw

« Reply #59 on: June 18, 2004, 02:04:00 pm »
  Basically a party band for frat houses!! Sucked as punks so tried the rap thing....The only one who seems to take them seriously is YOU!

How appropriate that this was posted by someone with the name "bollocks"