Author Topic: Joe Strummer R.I.P.  (Read 73391 times)

vansmack

Re: Joe Strummer R.I.P.
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2002, 06:02:00 pm »
I was fortunate that a really good friend of my parents was very into them and made sure that I was too.  Though I was too young to have ever seen them, I did see Strummer with the Mescaleros at the Whiskey this year and enjoyed it, though the music was much different than the Clash.
27>34

markie

« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2002, 06:30:00 pm »
the two times strummer and the mescaleros played 930 I thought the place really rocked. <P>The last of those times I got to have a chat with him as well. He did seem like a great guy. He gave Washington on my dollar bill an afro and a spliff and added the third encore track, island hopping, to my set list.<P>Ahh, to have a life like that, to have touched so many lives. I was really looking forward to seeing them again next year. Also the rock and roll hall of fame thing as well might of been good fun.

Relaxer

« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2002, 06:33:00 pm »
I'm crushed about this. A reunion -- no matter how cynical or packaged -- would've been a wonderful thing. I've had London Calling on repeat all day, and this is my favorite song. <P>Well, I got a friend who's a man <BR>What man? <BR>The man who keeps me from the lovely <BR>He gives me what I need <BR>What you need? What you got? <BR>I need it all so badly <P>CHORUS <BR>Oh, anything I want<BR>He gives it to me <BR>Anything I want <BR>He gives it, but not for free <BR>It's hateful <BR>And it's paid for and I'm so grateful to be nowhere <P>This year I've lost some friends <BR>Some friends? What friends? <BR>I dunno, I ain't even noticed <P>You see, I gotta go out again <BR>Again? My friend <BR>I gotta see that mainman <P>I killed all my nerves <BR>My nerves? What swerves? <BR>And I can't drive so steady <P>I've lost my memory <BR>My mind? Behind! <BR>I can't see so clearly
oword

markie

« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2002, 06:36:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Relaxer:<BR><B>I'm crushed about this. A reunion -- no matter how cynical or packaged -- would've been a wonderful thing. </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I dunno, I was pretty happy with the mescaleros myself. There is a beauty about keeping looking forward. The two mescaleros albums are very worthy in their own right.

thirsty moore

« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2002, 06:41:00 pm »
Markie -- That's a load of pants and you know it.  In a recent post you were overjoyed that Mick Jones joined Joe Strummer on stage.  <P>I think a Clash reunion would be a great concert.  Even though I was more than satisfied with both of Joe Strummer's performances at the 930.<p>[This message has been edited by thirsty moore (edited 12-23-2002).]

Relaxer

« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2002, 06:43:00 pm »
Most true, and no disrespect meant to the Mescaleros. But seeing Joe and Mick on-stage together would've been something special.
oword

markie

« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2002, 07:08:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by thirsty moore:<BR><B>Markie -- That's a load of pants and you know it.  In a recent post you were overjoyed that Mick Jones joined Joe Strummer on stage.  <P>I think a Clash reunion would be a great concert.  Even though I was more than satisfied with both of Joe Strummer's performances at the 930.<P>[This message has been edited by thirsty moore (edited 12-23-2002).]</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Hum, let me see. I think a clash reunion would of been a great thing to have seen, but its good that it didnt happen and sully the good name of the clash. Although I would of gone to every concert my credit card would of allowed.<P>(But then I was planning on getting to a couple of mescaleros shows next time anyhow.)<P>I mean really, can you imagine 50 year old dudes in army combats really looking and sounding "cool" rattling of londons burning?<P><BR>When they come knocking at your door how you gonna come?<P>with your hands on your head or on the trigger of your gun?<BR>

markie

« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2002, 07:10:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Relaxer:<BR><B>Most true, and no disrespect meant to the Mescaleros. But seeing Joe and Mick on-stage together would've been something special. </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Yes I agree, and I am pleased for the two of them that it happened the one time about a month ago.<P>

Relaxer

« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2002, 07:35:00 pm »
I know! How fortunate is it that they did perform on stage one last time? That is a bootleg that I am going to HAVE to get, and will share if I can copies.
oword

Samantha

« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2002, 03:20:00 am »
I missed out on so much...<P>all the music legends who were around before I was born...are all dying now...music I will never get to be pleasured by...<P>I mourn as much as ignorance can possibly mourn...

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2002, 10:00:00 am »
Joe Strummer's death is sad, but, well, glasshopper, don't spend too long mourning legends of the past, and instead look for the to-be legends of your own time.   There'll always be evil mothers who will say that everything good is in the past (and that life is just dirt), but it's just not true.   <P>If I may quote Grey Matter, from 1985:  "Seeing things in retrospect is something I can never do / because images grow dark with age and make me wish for something new."
_\|/_

Henry Dark

« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2002, 10:11:00 am »
Probably it's most sad that his wife and three kids have been left without a Dad and Husband at Christmas time.

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2002, 11:19:00 am »
That kinda goes without saying.
_\|/_

Jaguär

« Reply #43 on: December 24, 2002, 01:06:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Henry Dark:<BR><B>   Probably it's most sad that his wife and three kids have been left without a Dad and Husband at Christmas time.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Very true....and for a long time yet to come. <P>At least we still have his music in all of it's glory.<P>

Henry Dark

« Reply #44 on: December 24, 2002, 01:12:00 pm »
<A HREF="http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A31313-2002Dec23.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A31313-2002Dec23.html[/url] <P>interesting tale from Post movie reviewer Desson Howe from Joe's youth...