Author Topic: once again the jokes write themselves...  (Read 193830 times)

Venerable Bede

Re: once again the jokes write themselves...
« Reply #630 on: September 17, 2008, 05:07:00 pm »
Originally posted by callat703:
  Is it just me, or is the email thing a pretty big deal?  Doesn't that reflect a pretty serious oversight in security?  Who else may have hacked into Sarah Palin's email account?  What else might she have discussed there?
fair enough. . but. . .isn't hacking illegal?  i hope that they can track down this "anonymous" person. . .i mean, how many people can possibly have that name.  ohhhhh.
OU812

godsshoeshine

« Reply #631 on: September 17, 2008, 05:11:00 pm »
you know what else is illegal? doing state business on a yahoo account

edit: i really dont want to argue the legality of the yahoo account, but it certainly is unethical and silly
o/\o

Sage 703

« Reply #632 on: September 17, 2008, 05:20:00 pm »
Originally posted by Venerable Bede:

Is it just me, or is the email thing a pretty big deal?  Doesn't that reflect a pretty serious oversight in security?  Who else may have hacked into Sarah Palin's email account?  What else might she have discussed there?
fair enough. . but. . .isn't hacking illegal?  i hope that they can track down this "anonymous" person. . .i mean, how many people can possibly have that name.  ohhhhh. [/b]
Absolutely it is illegal, and I'm not saying they should have done it.  But they DID do it, and showed her that her account is vulnerable.  What about the people who could have hacked this account and never said a word?

Venerable Bede

« Reply #633 on: September 17, 2008, 05:25:00 pm »
Originally posted by god's shoeshine:
  you know what else is illegal? doing state business on a yahoo account

edit: i really dont want to argue the legality of the yahoo account, but it certainly is unethical and silly
ok. . .because the rules are different for each state, so the legality is an open question.
OU812

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #634 on: September 17, 2008, 05:34:00 pm »
These people would've tried hacking Obama's email accounts, but he's never actually handled any governmental business whatsoever so it'd be a colossal waste of time.

vansmack

« Reply #635 on: September 17, 2008, 05:49:00 pm »
Venerable, a wise Law School professor once beat me down after an exam by writing on my exam...

"While you may or not be right, I'll never know because you don't go deep enough into the issues...kind of like the USA Today."

That's a fair assessment of my thoughts on you this past week.
27>34

sonickteam2

« Reply #636 on: September 17, 2008, 05:55:00 pm »
mccain should have announed Palin on Halloween, theres no way any one person will be able to take this media abuse for 2 months.

Venerable Bede

« Reply #637 on: September 17, 2008, 07:20:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:
  Venerable, a wise Law School professor once beat me down after an exam by writing on my exam...

was it nicole parra. . .i'd let her beat me down.

btw, how dare you compare  megan  mcardle to the  usa today. . .
OU812

vansmack

« Reply #638 on: September 17, 2008, 08:26:00 pm »
No sir.  It was a priest, but I'll gladly let him know that you're looking to be beaten.
27>34

Venerable Bede

« Reply #639 on: September 17, 2008, 10:17:00 pm »
  Absolutely it is illegal, and I'm not saying they should have done it.  But they DID do it, and showed her that her account is vulnerable.  What about the people who could have hacked this account and never said a word?
all i can say is that whatever the reasons behind it, this is just another attempt by obama supporters to show how far they'll go to get their candidate elected.  we can have a civil debate about whether or not using private email accounts is ethical, but to purposefully and willingly go about to hack into a person's private email account is not only illegal, but just wrong.  have you guys no sense of decency?

after trying once again to   silence anyone who dares write a book criticizing obama, his supporters then go out of their way to do this.

all i can say is that if this does get a lot of press, no one is going to care what's in the email accounts, all people are gonna care about is this blatant invasion of a politician's privacy simply because she is the vp candidate running against obama.  where are the privacy advocates?  where is the outrage about this?  instead, i get a "yeah, they shouldn't have done it, but that sure showed her."
OU812

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #640 on: September 17, 2008, 10:30:00 pm »
It's kind of ironic to hear Republicans bleating about illicit invasion of privacy.

Also, what kind of idiot conducts official business with a Yahoo account?
_\|/_

Mobius

« Reply #641 on: September 17, 2008, 10:50:00 pm »
I don't think anyone cares what Sarah Palin was emailing to her kids, but if you are conducting official business through your yahoo account you are ipso facto HIDING SOMETHING, and if that's the case, and you're busted, then you're busted.

Its not as though her yahoo account was hacked and we discovered she was governing elusively.  We already knew from vaarious sources she used her yahoo account to purposely avoid accountability and if those were her intentions and it backfired I have no sympathy.  Again, any truly personal emails should remailn personal and if they're not its a problem, but emails that are related to her duties as Governor are another story.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #642 on: September 17, 2008, 11:48:00 pm »
I just want to know two things:

* Did the emails contain lots of "lol's" and emoticons?

* Did the recipients of these emails click through to the advertisements inserted by Yahoo into the messages?

It would have been better if she used gmail.  much more street cred than yahoo.

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #643 on: September 18, 2008, 12:26:00 am »
Originally posted by Mobius:
  I don't think anyone cares what Sarah Palin was emailing to her kids, but if you are conducting official business through your yahoo account you are ipso facto HIDING SOMETHING, and if that's the case, and you're busted, then you're busted.
It's now being suggested that she is guilty of destroying evidence for deleting those accounts after they were found out...
_\|/_

Sage 703

« Reply #644 on: September 18, 2008, 10:18:00 am »
Originally posted by Venerable Bede:

all i can say is that whatever the reasons behind it, this is just another attempt by obama supporters to show how far they'll go to get their candidate elected.  we can have a civil debate about whether or not using private email accounts is ethical, but to purposefully and willingly go about to hack into a person's private email account is not only illegal, but just wrong.  have you guys no sense of decency?
  [/b]
Oh come on, really?  Hackers don't care about politics.  They care about hacking.  That's why there aren't any political messages contained in what they released to the public, and they went out of their way to publish relatively innocuous emails that don't smear Sarah Palin.  They just show that they were able to successfully perform a hack.

And don't question my decency.  I've said that hacking is illegal and they shouldn't have done it.  But if Sarah Palin - who, in case you've forgotten, is running for VICE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES - wasn't completely naive about internet security, she never would have given them a reason or a chance to hack into an account containing government information in the first place.

There is NO indication that anybody from the Obama campaign or anybody supporting Obama had anything to do with this, or that politics motivated the action.

If the same hackers had knowledge and access to a personal email account for Obama, Biden or McCain, I'm willing to bet they'd have done the exact same thing.

On another note, where the hell was the McCain camp on this?  Do you think they knew she had a personal email account to use for government purposes?  Do you think they would have let her keep that email account active once she entered the race if they HAD known?  And if they DID let her keep that account active, what does that say about McCain's complicity in using private email for official purposes?

I agree with you that this IS an invasion of privacy, and an unfortunate one.  HOWEVER, that doesn't mean Sarah Palin doesn't have to be accountable for what was in that email inbox.  Once busted, you're busted.  

Take this as an analogy.  Let's say some people had broken into the governor's mansion in Alaska, and found the governor growing marijuana in the green house.  They then took some photos that they released to the world.  They didn't steal anything, and they left a note tied to the door saying that they should be more careful about security.  Do you mean to imply that we would dismiss those photos and the issue because the photos were obtained illegally?