Author Topic: once again the jokes write themselves...  (Read 193856 times)

miss pretentious

• ohai.
Re: once again the jokes write themselves...
« Reply #810 on: October 15, 2008, 11:43:00 am »
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/15/us/politics/15biracial.html

an excerpt:
 ??He??s going to tear up the rose bushes and plant a watermelon patch,? said James Halsey, chuckling, while standing in the Wal-Mart parking lot with fellow workers in the environmental cleanup business. ??I just don??t think we??ll ever have a black president.?
nothx

nkotb

« Reply #811 on: October 15, 2008, 11:47:00 am »
Weird...I wonder what Mankie was doing in Mobile, Alabama?

Originally posted by miss pretentious:
  http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/15/us/politics/15biracial.html

an excerpt:
 ??He??s going to tear up the rose bushes and plant a watermelon patch,? said James Halsey, chuckling, while standing in the Wal-Mart parking lot with fellow workers in the environmental cleanup business. ??I just don??t think we??ll ever have a black president.?

godsshoeshine

« Reply #812 on: October 15, 2008, 11:51:00 am »
Originally posted by sweetcell:
  could someone explain to me what is the point of fake voter registrations (some as ridiculous as "Donald Duck")?  it's not names on the list that gets you elected, it's votes.  one needs to show government ID to get to vote.  having donald duck on the voters list is pointless unless you have someone with a driver's license that says he's donald duck.

only advantage that comes to mind is public perception: hoping to "psych out" the other side with huge pre-election numbers & making them feel the election is a foregone conclusion, in hopes that they don't bother showing up on Nov 4.  maybe.  but otherwise, you're just hurting your cause with registration fraud.

am i missing something?  just seems stupid and irresponsible, not to mention illegal and reprehensible.
it sounds like someone filling out the form as a joke. if you were doing something systemically at least make it a plausible name. like you say its not really voter fraud unless someone shows up and tries to vote under an incorrect name. in most states groups like acorn are required to turn in all of their forms including the obviously suspicious ones

i still think john mccain should stop  palling around with these people though
o/\o

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #813 on: October 15, 2008, 12:00:00 pm »
didn't you hear ACORN is old news.... it's been replaced by Jesse Jackson suggesting Obama is going to  fundamentally change US policy towards Israel...  of course Jackson doesn't advise or speak for Obama's, but none  of that's important to the McCain campaign...
T.Rex

godsshoeshine

« Reply #814 on: October 15, 2008, 12:05:00 pm »
how much palling around has been done
o/\o

« Reply #815 on: October 15, 2008, 12:07:00 pm »
So is anyone considering bumping up their retirement contributions now that stocks can be had at a relatively low price?

godsshoeshine

« Reply #816 on: October 15, 2008, 12:09:00 pm »
yes. thinking about fishing around for some undervalued stocks to hold for 3+ years
o/\o

sonickteam2

« Reply #817 on: October 15, 2008, 12:12:00 pm »
Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes,Japanese Golfer:
  So is anyone considering bumping up their retirement contributions now that stocks can be had at a relatively low price?
everyone better be.  its a great time to invest!

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #818 on: October 15, 2008, 05:06:00 pm »
Originally posted by sweetcell:
  could someone explain to me what is the point of fake voter registrations (some as ridiculous as "Donald Duck")?  it's not names on the list that gets you elected, it's votes.  one needs to show government ID to get to vote.  having donald duck on the voters list is pointless unless you have someone with a driver's license that says he's donald duck.

am i missing something?  just seems stupid and irresponsible, not to mention illegal and reprehensible.
ive never once shown an ID to vote in NYC. I just tell them my name, and sign on a line and they match it up against my signature. I cant remember the explanation I got about why I didnt need ID, but thats cool with me. I always wondered what they'd say when I pulled out a Virginia driver's license, even tho Im registered to vote in New York.
HeyLa

Venerable Bede

« Reply #819 on: October 15, 2008, 06:01:00 pm »
Just following up on this  story:

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. (AP) - A married congressman who faces accusations that he had an affair with a former aide and paid her to keep quiet about it also was having an affair with a second woman around the same time, a person close to his campaign told The Associated Press on Tuesday.
 Mahoney, 52, won his seat in 2006 while promising to return morals and family values to Washington in the aftermath of the resignation of former Republican U.S. Rep. Mark Foley. Foley stepped down when it was revealed he sent lurid Internet messages to male teenage pages who had worked on Capitol Hill. Foley was later cleared of criminal wrongdoing by state and federal authorities.
OU812

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #820 on: October 15, 2008, 06:10:00 pm »
I'm guessing ACORN is going to be what bitter right-wingers spend the next eight years bleating about to no avail, kinda like they spent the Clinton years bitching about Whitewater and Vince Foster and wondering why nobody cared.
_\|/_

manimtired

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #822 on: October 15, 2008, 06:33:00 pm »
I'd like a blow out, but as long as THAT ONE wins I'm happy!   :)  

The 8-year era of ignorance and religious superstition is almost over...
_\|/_

manimtired

« Reply #823 on: October 15, 2008, 06:38:00 pm »
edgy post

sonickteam2

« Reply #824 on: October 15, 2008, 09:00:00 pm »