Author Topic: Those Darned Redskins, Pt. Deux  (Read 219056 times)

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
Re: Those Darned Redskins, Pt. Deux
« Reply #390 on: June 19, 2014, 09:09:05 pm »
I like the idea that I heard on a radio talk show yesterday.  No more team names at all.  None.  Each team is simply referred to by ts city.  So the NFL team in DC would simply be called Washington.  If there is a city with more than one team they would be refereed to by there league/conference/division as  NFC New York and AFC New York (much akin to when there was both a NFL and MLB NY Giants and the former was commonly referred to as the New York Football Giants).
FUKIT

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #391 on: June 19, 2014, 09:12:44 pm »
I guess the Cleveland Browns need to change their name too.

I have never once heard or read about anyone complaining about the Wizards name.

Perhaps it's the fact that you live in such a backassward city that makes you think of the Klan upon hearing the word "wizard". When I Google image the word "wizard", I see a whole lot of pictures, none of them making reference to the Klan.

Maybe they will rename them the Washington Klansmen in keeping with the name f the city's NBA team.

It has nothing to do with where I live of what I think.  What you or I think in general has nothing to do with PC name changes either.  It is whether someone might perceive that someone else might be offended by the name.  BTW just to correct yet another point you made, the KKK is not the first thing I think of when I hear the term wizard, however when considering a name change for PC reasons I would absolutely be sure that the name I selected did not have any offensive connotations.  The whole PC name change thing is about whether someone COULD BE offended by a name.  Well it is an absolute that a black person playing in the NBA could very easily be offended by a team name of wizard.  No one who supports the concept PC name changes can deny that fact.

1) How about the Saints?  Might not christians be offended by that name?  Is this the next name that we need to get changed?

2) The PC thing is not about whether someone is complaining, it is about whether someone somewhere MIGHT be offended.
FUKIT

atomic

« Reply #392 on: June 19, 2014, 09:46:17 pm »
Rat bastard is the angriest man in the world.

Ok back on topic.

The Washington Tea Baggers
DC Stars
RGIII's Team.
Landover Toddlers
Maryland Crabbers
Prince George County Inmates
the Washington Pants Party
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 09:48:41 pm by atomic »

atomic

« Reply #393 on: June 19, 2014, 09:49:55 pm »
Oh what I like most about the Tea Baggers is that they could actual Tea Bag the opposing quarter back after every sack.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #394 on: June 19, 2014, 09:50:09 pm »
Actually Ratbastard, most of us disagree with your number two point. Hypothetical, imaginary offense taken by a theoretical person somewhere in no way equates to actual offense taken by tens of millions of real people. You keep saying this insane thing as though if you repeat it enough times it's true, but it's not. It's illogical.

It's sort of like going "anyone could hypothetically commit a murder so why should we prosecute people who actually did commit murders?"
LVMH

atomic

« Reply #395 on: June 19, 2014, 09:53:03 pm »
I think Rat Bastard might like some of these

Washington School Shooters
DC NRA Patriots
Washington Tax and Spend Conservativs

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #396 on: June 19, 2014, 10:59:33 pm »
Rat bastard is the angriest man in the world.

Ok back on topic.

The Washington Tea Baggers
DC Stars
RGIII's Team.
Landover Toddlers
Maryland Crabbers
Prince George County Inmates
the Washington Pants Party

LOL actually I live a very happy life, thanks for playing! :)
FUKIT

Unsanity

« Reply #397 on: June 19, 2014, 11:00:19 pm »
DC Stars hahaha that's great! That band sucked haha.

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #398 on: June 19, 2014, 11:01:00 pm »
Washington School Shooters

Not only local to DC would not work.

DC NRA Patriots

Not really in favor of corporate/lobby sponsorships.

Washington Tax and Spend Conservativs

Mutually exclusive.
FUKIT

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #399 on: June 19, 2014, 11:22:16 pm »
Actually Ratbastard, most of us disagree with your number two point. Hypothetical, imaginary offense taken by a theoretical person somewhere in no way equates to actual offense taken by tens of millions of real people. You keep saying this insane thing as though if you repeat it enough times it's true, but it's not. It's illogical.

It's sort of like going "anyone could hypothetically commit a murder so why should we prosecute people who actually did commit murders?"

It has nothing to do with theory.  Not even close.  It is an absolute fact that a huge proportion of NBA players are black.  It is an absolute fact that the largest anti-black group in this country's history was/is the KKK.  It is an absolute fact that the leader of the KKK is called the grand wizard.  There is nothing imaginary about any of that.
FUKIT

atomic

« Reply #400 on: June 20, 2014, 12:05:00 am »
DC Stars hahaha that's great! That band sucked haha.

Is it me or is you?

I just looked them up and it seems their lead singer dies 3 years ago of cancer. 

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #401 on: June 20, 2014, 08:39:01 am »

It has nothing to do with theory.  Not even close.  It is an absolute fact that a huge proportion of NBA players are black.  It is an absolute fact that the largest anti-black group in this country's history was/is the KKK.  It is an absolute fact that the leader of the KKK is called the grand wizard.  There is nothing imaginary about any of that.
its theoretical because you fail to show one example of anyone ACTUALLY SAYING they're offended. No NBA player is anti-Wizards name publicly. I can find no evidence thru google searches of anyone but you -- who says yourself that you're not offended -- making a connection between the name and the KKK. On the other hand, there is massive, apparent dislike of the Redskins name.

This is called strawman-ism, and it's a trade you and atomic apply regularly. Instead of arguing the actual merits of an issue (in this case, the suitability of the NFL teams name) you conflate that issue with a make believe issue (the idea that if a name offends on person, it's just as bad as if it offends 100million, a thought no one on here believes despite how liberal PC you purport us to be) that no one actually argues (a strawman), in hopes of making the actual topic being discussed look foolish by association. Unfortunately, this isn't Fox News, so none of us fall for that.
LVMH

fatskippy

« Reply #402 on: June 20, 2014, 08:52:06 am »
I have never once associated the name Wizards and the KKK or ever heard the connection until this thread. It's probably the single most idiotic thing I've read related to the Redskins name change.

atomic

« Reply #403 on: June 20, 2014, 11:39:45 am »

its theoretical because you fail to show one example of anyone ACTUALLY SAYING they're offended. No NBA player is anti-Wizards name publicly. I can find no evidence thru google searches of anyone but you -- who says yourself that you're not offended -- making a connection between the name and the KKK. On the other hand, there is massive, apparent dislike of the Redskins name.

This is called strawman-ism, and it's a trade you and atomic apply regularly. Instead of arguing the actual merits of an issue (in this case, the suitability of the NFL teams name) you conflate that issue with a make believe issue (the idea that if a name offends on person, it's just as bad as if it offends 100million, a thought no one on here believes despite how liberal PC you purport us to be) that no one actually argues (a strawman), in hopes of making the actual topic being discussed look foolish by association. Unfortunately, this isn't Fox News, so none of us fall for that.

Please give examples of me doing this.   I only state facts.  If you don't like the facts I state that is your problem.  Don't try to lump be in with Ratbastard.